Pitching at very low temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I pitched in a cooled wort at 58-59f but the beer as been immediatly store in a 64f room.

Yeast is London Ale 1318.

Will that be ok?

Many people pitch around 5 degrees below their ferm temp. It may take a little extra time to start, but will most likely come out better for it.

May be more potential for diacetyl, but it will likely exceed 64 when it gets going and it probably won't be an issue if you do a 3 week primary.

Zainasheff & Palmer recommend the Narziss method of pitching below and ramping up to fermentation temperatures, especially in lagers, eliminating the need for a diacetyl rest.

it's also not needed if no diacetyl is detected before cold crashing/lagering

May be more potential for diacetyl, but it will likely exceed 64 when it gets going and it probably won't be an issue if you do a 3 week primary.

How would pitching below the recommended fermentation temps lead to an increase of Diacetyl?

How would pitching below the recommended fermentation temps lead to an increase of Diacetyl?

I believe if the fermentation is at lower temperature, assuming it doesn't free rise to something more reasonable, those types of temperatures in an ale may prevent clean up of the diacetyl later on. I'm no expert and I may be wrong, so I apologize if I'm spreading misinformation.

I had a problem with my fermentation chamber and the yeast was held at this temperature for 14 hours.
It's now fermenting away nicely and the smells are awesome.
I wouldn't worry if I was you.

I believe if the fermentation is at lower temperature, assuming it doesn't free rise to something more reasonable, those types of temperatures in an ale may prevent clean up of the diacetyl later on. I'm no expert and I may be wrong, so I apologize if I'm spreading misinformation.

Diacetyl is more of a problem with lager yeasts not ale yeasts. Typically the Diacetyl rests are carried out at high 60s.

Diacetyl is more of a problem with lager yeasts not ale yeasts. Typically the Diacetyl rests are carried out at high 60s.

I have to admit I was also seeing the English yeast strain and assuming higher diacetyl levels, but after googling I found that was not the case. You're right, with this strain and the likelihood that the fermentation will rise enough to allow for necessary cleanup, it shouldn't be an issue. My bad.

Latest posts

Back