Pitched Yeast WAY to Hot!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ste6168

Reaction score
Everyone. I JUST finished my first batch and couldn't understand why my stick on thermometer wasn't reading. I then pulled the top off, re-sanitized my dial thermometer, and realized that when cooling the wort I read the thermometer run (as I was in a rush and nervous to not screw up) and pitched the yeast WAY to hot. Not sure the exact temperature, but I am guessing it was probably still 120 F. Is there anything that I can do to repair this batch, or am I pretty much SOL?

Thanks for any and all responses. Take it easy, this is my first batch! :(

Nothing to do but wait and see. I'd get some spare dried yeast just in case. Wait 3-4 days and leave it alone. Don't chance an infection while the wort is susceptible. IMO anyway...

Or just cook and pitch again. Good luck!

I'm not an expert on yeasts, but you may be okay. I rehydrate some of my bread yeasts at up to 130°. Cool your wort down to the low 60s and wait 24 to 36 hours.
Which yeast did you pitch?

Guess I should mention as well, I didn't take an initial gravity reading, completely forgot! How much of a problem is that going to create?

Everything wen't so well until the last 5 minutes! :confused:

You may get some off flavors from the yeast, if it survived. Definitely let have some time and check with a hydrometer to see if there is any activity,after 2 days repitch if there is no noticible activity... the wort should be OK otherwise if everything was well sanitized.

Gravity reading is a total non-issue. You were using an extract kit I assume. Your gravity is exactly what they said it would be if you have 5 gallons of beer. No possible way you would not.

Back to the yeast... Do you have more dry yeast?

Keep the lid on fermenter. Let it cool (set it outside or in garage if that is cooler to help bring it down to the 60's) - keep it clean, get it cooled ASAP.

I would repitch yeast when it cools, no matter what. I would not wait several days to "see." A packet of dry yeast costs nothing. It is a good idea to always keep some US 05 or something on hand for such emergencies.

o I set it outside last night until it got down to 70, and brought it back inside... I figured I would wait until today to do anything else. I pulled the lid off the bucket today and this is what it looks like. I have only pitched the yeast once (original, way to warm) and am wondering if it looks like it is working, or if I should aerate and pitch a second packet of yeast.

Someone asked what kind of yeast I used, and it's just the standard dry yeast provided with midwest supplies kits...

Does this look OK so far, or is it impossible to tell from a picture?

IMG_0316.jpg

Yes! You have fermentation! Now close it up & give it 3 weeks to finish,clean up those off flavors,& settle out clear or slightly misty.

That's what fermentation looks like :p

Congrats, you made beer!

Fair warning though, my sole experiment pitching the yeast at 90F yielded one funky tasting, jet fuel powered beer. Yours is likely to do the same.

Yes! You have fermentation! Now close it up & give it 3 weeks to finish,clean up those off flavors,& settle out clear or slightly misty.

WOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Man that makes my morning! Let's hook up the boat and hit the water, don't get too many 70 degree days in January! Have a good Sunday yall. Thanks for the advice in this thread, and all others that I have spied on!

o I set it outside last night until it got down to 70, and brought it back inside... I figured I would wait until today to do anything else. I pulled the lid off the bucket today and this is what it looks like. I have only pitched the yeast once (original, way to warm) and am wondering if it looks like it is working, or if I should aerate and pitch a second packet of yeast.

Someone asked what kind of yeast I used, and it's just the standard dry yeast provided with midwest supplies kits...

Does this look OK so far, or is it impossible to tell from a picture?

What you have there my friend is the yeast working it's magic forming (Krausen), from what i can see i wouldn't bother with pitching again and let the yeast do it's job. :tank:

I've also noticed over time that 3-4 weeks in the bottles,with 1 week fridge time will help clean up some off flavors too. If they're not too strong,it can be cleaned up as mentioned. My first one did.

Back