Pitched US05 straight out of the fridge, my beer turned into a saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to brew an IPA with US05 and whilest brewing a nr of things went wrong. First during chilling period my waterpump broke.
This caused a delay of roughly 20minutes to chill my wort. (complete process was under an hour)

2nd when siphoning the cooled wort to the fermenter the siphon broke so we had no other choice then to poor it manually through a sanitized filter.

Due to all the troubles I completely forgot to take the dry yeast us05 out of the fridge to let it get to room temperate, thinking that this might not be a problem we pitched in the fermenter and closed it.
The fermenter has been sitting in a temp controlled fridge at roughly 18c celcius.
There was a krausen formed in around 3 days during which period I noticed very little activity and no bubbeling in the airlock. . It stayed there for about a week.
After 2 weeks we decided to do a gravity reading.
OG was 1.060 and FG was 1.020

We kegged the beer and tasted it and it came out like a saison.. A very slightly sour tasting herbal hoppy slightly sweet saison, almost heffenweizen like I would say.
It actually tastes quiet nice but not the IPA we was aiming for.

So after discussing with my friend we have the following theory.

After pitching the cold dry yeast straight from the fridge probably most of the cells died and some kind of wild yeast that was in the air took over fermentation.

Any thoughts comments on what could have been the reason my IPA tastes like a saison?

Greetings

Hmm, well, saisons are notorious for their low FG, like under 1.005, and 1.020 does sound like you had yeast health problems but not an infection of wild yeast.

Are you brewing in Thailand currently? Are you using whole, or pellet hops?

Recipe?

A delay in cooling the hot wort isn't really a problem.
Dumping from the kettle to the fermenter isn't a problem either, I do it all the time. You don't need a filter, but if you are using a lot of hops, you may want to avoid pouring out the hop sludge in the bottom of the kettle.
I do agree that your yeast didn't take off like it should have.
Some people just sprinkle the yeast in the wort. I usually rehydrate the yeast following the directions on the package.
My biggest beer problems have come from careless handling of yeast.
I'm a little skeptical that you have an infected beer though. A couple of weeks isn't really long enough to get any real sour character, but it is possible.

Brewing in Thailand with pellet hops. I don't think we had an infection either. We kegged the beer and it's been here for a week now and no signs of it getting any off flavours or going bad.
I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. Could this be cause the US05 didnt work as it should (too many cells dying from pitching straight out of cooled fridge_

Recipe as follows:

5 Gallon Batch

11 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 95.8 %
8.0 oz Carared (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.2 %

0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 43.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 7.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Wai-Iti [3.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 7

was planning on dry hopping it with another 1.oz wai iti and 0.5oz nelson but my friend advised against it since I had FG of 1.020 it would be too thick to really absorb any hop aromas.

I had the same thing happen to me one time. Made up a basic pale ale recipe and used US-05 yeast. I didn't have any real problems in the brewing, and I took the yeast out with enough time to reach room temperature. Still, it ended up tasting like a saison. I tried a bottle much later (over a year after I made it) and it tasted the same. I figure if it was infected, it would have been a gusher or at least tasted quite sour after a year. I never did figure out what happened with that one.

I found that uso5 fermented below 66* ends up phenoliky (if that's a word),and tastes like a hefe. You should repete this and ferment higher. I always rehydrate dry yeast.

The fermenter has been sitting in a temp controlled fridge at roughly 18c celcius.

The sticker on the fermentor said 20c and went up to 22c during the first 3 days for fermentation.

I've never had us-o5 give me a sour taste. Any sour tastes came from some form of infections or possibly wild yeast in the your brewing environment.

Fermentation temperature seems to be within range. The 22c is a bit high but shouldn't have made much of a difference. I use US05 all the time and ferment at 64F without issues.

What was the temperature of the wort when you pitched the yeast?

If you got a wild yeast and not a bacterial infection it could stop at 1.020. The taste of a wild yeast could be anything from awful to great.

The pitch of cold yeast might have killed enough yeast to allow a wild yeast to take over but I would think that unlikely.

I would hazard a guess that you will never know what happened.

Latest posts

Back