Pitched Rene Cuvée dregs and they took off in 18 hours

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
This was into a Ball jar pint starter with an airlock. This was actually open air in my basement for 2 weeks and nothing happened. One of the starters had mold in 4 days though.

What can I expect to grab from this starter? Pedio, lacto, brett, etc.?

So you let the wort sit open for 24 hrs, two weeks later nothing had happened, and then you added dregs to it?:confused: Why not just start over with fresh wort for the dregs?

If you're asking what's in the Cuvee Rene, gueuze dregs have pedio and brett, but studies have shown upwards of 100 different microbes in lambic.

Just because it was ready for a pitch and the dregs were leftovers from an enjoyable brew. I'll be checking the smells now and then to decide if it's worthy for a full batch.

Just because it was ready for a pitch and the dregs were leftovers from an enjoyable brew. I'll be checking the smells now and then to decide if it's worthy for a full batch.

I've isolated some nice yeast out of that beer. Very underrated beer with a great many unique yeast dwelling inside! I do agree with TNGabe though, I would have just started over with some fresh wort to be sure everything you're seeing in the starter is a result of the dregs of the beer, especially if it had been sitting out for a long time.

Best of luck to you on the dregs either way!

I did have some fresh wort which in hindsight would have been ideal as you both suggest. Would you guys try a one gallon batch first? We'll wait and see......

I did have some fresh sort which in hindsight would have been ideal as you both suggest. Would you guys try a one gallon batch first? We'll wait and see......

Whenever I isolate yeast for The Yeast Bay, I always start very small. I usually do a 1L fermentation, get some data (attenuation, off flavors, general profile of flavor and aroma). If all looks good, I proceed to 1 gallon fermentations, which I bottle and evaluate fully carbonated. If it ends up sucking, no sense in wasting a ton of good wort!

Great advice. You certainly appear to have a lot of time and experience with yeast my friend. Cheers 🍷

Ps- just noticed "sort" and corrected it.....auto spell anomalies

Back