Pitched at 96 degrees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might get some estery flavors in there, but don't worry, you didn't kill your yeast. Stressed them out a little at that temp, and maybe you'll pick up a few off flavors, but if you cooled it down timely enough it should be fine. I,ve pitched way too high once or twice in my past and neither beer was ruined. One I didn't taste anything wrong with, the other had some slighty fruity characters from ester production. With the temo cooled down just let it ferment like normal and more than likely you'll be okay.

Oh, just make sure it doesn't get too cool and you end up dropping all your yeast out of suspension.

Just get it to ferment temp before fermentation kicks in and I believe you'll be fine .... ive never pitched quite that high though .... good luck

You are fine and most likely wont have any major off flavors even. The yeast aren't fermenting yet and as long as you cool it within a reasonable amount of time its no big deal.

And now you know for next time to wait a little longer lol.

They should be ok, but in the future take the time to measure your temp before you pitch. When pitched warm then cooled, yeast tend to not perform as well as the other way around. Cooling signals them to go to sleep whereas warming wakes them up and helps ensure a healthy fermentation and full attenuation.

Latest posts

Back