Pitched ale yeast into lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay55

Reaction score
Perfect brew day, but discovered that I'd misread the yeast chart and pitched German Hefe yeast into my Munich Helles.

1. Pitched at 46 degrees where it sits now.

2. Because this is super cold can I just pitch the correct lager yeast? Seems that due to the low temp, the ale yeast will fall to the bottom and not even start.

3. If I keep the temp at 50-55 degs it seems the lager yeast will be happy and the Ale yeast will stay asleep. When fermentation is finished, there shouldn't be any more sugars for the ale yeast to eat even if the temp rose a little? (from 50 raising to 55 at the end).

4. I plan to ferment at 50 degs and raise it to 55 at the end for yeast clean up.

Your council would be greatly appreciated. Brewed yesterday, so I gotta do something fast. Pitch or dump?

Thanks

Definitely don't dump. Even at cold temps, an ale yeast will start fermenting. I only have experience with that type of yeast at warm temps, but Hefe yeasts go nuts, so I am sure that being colder than normal wont necessarily stop this one.

You definitely could add in a lager yeast, but I am betting it will ferment with characteristics of both yeasts. I actually think it would be a fun experiment to use both if you don't mind the money to pitch again. otherwise, see what a cold fermented helles wort will do with a hefe yeast.

don't dump. it will probably be great no matter what.

Thanks!
I rehydrated 3 packs of Fermentis 34/70 lager yeast and pitched. This beer is for a wedding in December, so I wanted time to lager for a few weeks. We'll see what happens. I hate banana/clove, so hopefully if it does contribute, it will not be too noticeable.
I appreciate the advise.

That's funny. Just for fun, i googled that beer and got an article in BYO discribing it. Not sure that's a beer i'd enjoy. Beer is bubbling away at 50 degs. Hopefully the banana phenols will be very mild to absent. Doh
I know...it's just beer.

Back