pitch yeast at 80 degree or cool first, and then pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckofagator

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed by first batch yesterday. The wort is currently in a bucket, in a Cool Brewing fermentation bag at about 67 degrees.

When I cooled the wort after boiling, I couldn't get it much below 80. So I pitched the WYeast and put it into the cooler bag with some frozen 2 liter bottles. Its been about 24 hours.

I'm just wondering, for the future, should I just continue on that track, or should I try to cool the wort in the fermentation bag to around 70 before pitching, knowing that it would be 12-24 hours after brewing before pitching?

Does it even really matter?

Thanks!

Which Wyeast strain?

I regularly pitch at 80* (as I did yesterday with the APA I brewed) but the strains I typically use don't seem to mind. That said, it is better practice to cool to proper pitching temp. Like you, I live in Florida and getting the temp all the way down with a 5g batch can be difficult, especially when ambient air is 92* like it was yesterday.

FWIW, I bought a small submersible fountain pump and when the wort gets to around 90, I fill a bucket with ice water and circulate it from there. I can usually get it to between 75*-80* 15-20 minutes later.

Thanks for the reply. It was Wyeast 3787 Trappist HG that came with the Williams Brewing Belgian Wit kit.

I originally got the wort down to 100 using the water hose hooked up to the immersion chiller and stirring the wort every few minutes. After that, I hooked up my new sump pump, added all the ice from my icemaker and well as a couple frozen 32oz bottles. I was trying to get down below 80 but after 30 min total, it just didn't seem to be moving anymore lower than 80. I topped off about a gallon of water from the fridge, so maybe it was 79 or so, but I had the thermometer out by the time it went to the fermenter.

I just got the sump pump and used it to flush out my tankless water heater Saturday with a gallon of vinegar, and after running an hour and recirculating the vinegar, man that stuff was hot. I'm wondering if the sump pump is adding too much heat to the water.

I live in Houston, Texas. We typically have 80+ degree tap water for most of the year, meaning I usually never get to pitching temps with my immersion chiller. What I do is chill to about 80 and pour my wort into a brew bucket and stick it in my fermentation chamber, or swamp cooler if the chamber is full, and let the temp drop over the next day. I usually brew one day, and pitch sometime on the next day when I am at an appropriate temperature.

thanks - I guess that's what I wanted to see if it was ok to do or not.

I figured it most likely was, as I've read people had to re-pitch yeast after a couple days. So I was hoping that adding yeast after 12-24 hours in a cooler environment was ok.

I live in Houston, Texas. We typically have 80+ degree tap water for most of the year, meaning I usually never get to pitching temps with my immersion chiller. What I do is chill to about 80 and pour my wort into a brew bucket and stick it in my fermentation chamber, or swamp cooler if the chamber is full, and let the temp drop over the next day. I usually brew one day, and pitch sometime on the next day when I am at an appropriate temperature.

FWIW on my last two batches, I pitched over 24 hours later when the temp was in the 60s. I used US-05 on the last two batches. I ferment in my wine fridge and set it for 65F. 65F is equal to about 61F in the fermenter. This last batch started a bit slow, but it's bubbling along quite well right now.

I have found that pitching slightly warm, 75-85° and then getting it cooled down in a few hours to the 65° range really speeds up the fermentation.

I have found that pitching slightly warm, 75-85° and then getting it cooled down in a few hours to the 65° range really speeds up the fermentation.

This is true, but I have noticed 'cleaner' tasting beers, and less off flavors, when I let the wort reach the proper lower temperature before pitching. But I am not aiming for fast turn-arounds. I'm okay with waiting for what is a better tasting beer, IME. To each his own, though. What ever works for you op.

I feel that you will be much happier with your beers...even your Belgians...if you cool your wort all the way down to pitching temps before adding yeast. Controlling temps for the first 48 hours will ensure you have the most controlled growth and development of esters. After the first 48, you can start warming up the beer to get the most from the yeast.

Doing this backwards could cause your yeast to stall, develop off flavors and bad phenols, and under attenuate your beer.

I would also like to add that getting a bubble out of the airlock is not a race. The more controlled your fermentation ramp is, the better your beer will be in the long run.

Get it lower. Pitch temps should be the same as ferment temps. If you need to wait 12-24 hrs to pitch you will need to pay close attention to sanitation.
You can pitch warm, but you can't get as good a beer that way. Some people just want a decent beer for themselves.others want to make the best they can. What you do should depend on your tastes, wants, and equipment.

yeah, I def. want the best I can get. Another 12-24 hours won't hurt me waiting. I'd rather do it the right way from the get go.

Just spray StarSan around the bucket, stirring spoon, yeast packet and all that fun stuff when you pitch later?

yeah, I def. want the best I can get. Another 12-24 hours won't hurt me waiting. I'd rather do it the right way from the get go.

Just spray StarSan around the bucket, stirring spoon, yeast packet and all that fun stuff when you pitch later?

No extra sanitation process is necessary on top of what you already would do for pitching immediately.

Also, stirring spoon for yeast isn't necessary, it will mix on it's own, just pour it in.

Right, sanitize packet and pitch. Off you don't know that the yeast was handled properly or it is old you are better off making a starter or pitching more based on estimated viability

If you are oxygenating the wort wait until pitching. As others have said wait to pitch until temp is where it should be.

Back