Pitch rates for Dry Yeast - What are your rules

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
What are your rules for Dry yeast?

I have been using Mr Malty's calculator for a while but stumbled across this and now i'm thinking of stepping up my yeast pitch when using dry yeast.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

It calculates the cell count to be between 8-18B cells per gram. Huge fluctuation. To pitch a big ale like a 1.070 that's up to 3 packs of dry for the low. Which is not what Mr Malty says. It estimates 1.3 packages assuming 20B per gram density.

Thoughts?

I don't use dry yeast, but if I did I would use Mrmalty's number and be sure to rehydrate. If you don't rehydrate, then double the Mrmalty number, since roughly 50% of the cells will not survive the pitch.

My rule for 4 gallon batches I brew is 1 pack of US-05, rehydrated, for up to about 1.065 wort. Anything over that gets 2 packs rehydrated.
When I brewed 5 gallon batches, I pitched 1 pack for up to 1.060 gravity worth and 2 for anything above that, typically.
Which now, for 5 gallons, I'd probably pitch 2 packs for anything above about 1.055

I don't use dry yeast, but if I did I would use Mrmalty's number and be sure to rehydrate. If you don't rehydrate, then double the Mrmalty number, since roughly 50% of the cells will not survive the pitch.

+1. Proper rehydration can make a big difference. A much higher percentage of the cells survive to multiply and ferment your brew.

Latest posts

Back