Pitch rate for Omega Hornindal (OYL-091) kveik

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rconway91

Reaction score
I am using a pouch of Omega Hornindal for an imperial stout (4 gal, OG should be 1.110).

For a normal yeast, I would make a big 2L starter. However, I keep hearing people saying that you should never make a starter for kveik yeasts and only use ~1/3 a pouch even for a big beer. BUT, the manufacturer says a normal pitch rate (and thus a starter) should be used.

Who to believe?!

I haven't made a realy big beer yet, but I've been using it underpitched without oxygen. My last beer was basically a witbier minus orange peel and coriander, and I think I made a 1 pint starter after dong a small 1 cup starter from a frozen sample. I pitched at 85, no oxygen, and ramped temp up. It's a nice beer, and very fruity.

That said, I'm not sure you'd want that fruity yeast profile in an Imperial Stout, so maybe give it oxygen, and do at least a 1L starter.

I haven't made a realy big beer yet, but I've been using it underpitched without oxygen. My last beer was basically a witbier minus orange peel and coriander, and I think I made a 1 pint starter after dong a small 1 cup starter from a frozen sample. I pitched at 85, no oxygen, and ramped temp up. It's a nice beer, and very fruity.

That said, I'm not sure you'd want that fruity yeast profile in an Imperial Stout, so maybe give it oxygen, and do at least a 1L starter.
Thanks, I agree that I do not want fruity esters in a stout. So similar to a hefe, a full pitch would decrease these esters?

I make starters but I swear, I can't tell the difference in 6 beers I've used Hornindal in from using an underpitch or a normal amount. I can say that I added about 3 times the normal amount of yeast nutrient because I've read it so many times. It's even more important I'm told if you're underpitching.

I just pitched a full pack into a 1.075 neipa and it’s been fermenting for 2 days in the high 80’s low 90’s in my garage. Bubbling has started to slow so heck by tomm this may be done.

Thanks, I agree that I do not want fruity esters in a stout. So similar to a hefe, a full pitch would decrease these esters?
I’ve also read that the esters in this are temp dependent too. Like in the lower range you’ll have less esters than in its higher temp range. So my neipa I’m trying to get it as hot as possible to add those esters. Maybe I’d u ferment it in the high 60’s low 70’s with good oxygenation of the wort you could avoid any esters.

My go to for RIS, mine are 1.112- 1,134. To keep the esters low I pitch a 1.5 L starter and ferment at 77*. it takes a week for it to finish. On day 3-4 depending on activity , i'll bump it to 86 to finish. So far with this procedure I've gotten 74% ADF on 3 beers.

My go to for RIS, mine are 1.112- 1,134. To keep the esters low I pitch a 1.5 L starter and ferment at 77*. it takes a week for it to finish. On day 3-4 depending on activity , i'll bump it to 86 to finish. So far with this procedure I've gotten 74% ADF on 3 beers.

I ended up with an OG of 1.123 and pitched a 1.5 L starter of Omega Hornindale. It was like hotub in there for about 24 hours, then nothing. I sat by it for 5 minutes this evening and nothing happened. Also added a triple helping of yeast nutrient.

Whats going on here? Is it stuck? No way it's done after 1 day....

I ended up with an OG of 1.123 and pitched a 1.5 L starter of Omega Hornindale. It was like hotub in there for about 24 hours, then nothing. I sat by it for 5 minutes this evening and nothing happened. Also added a triple helping of yeast nutrient.

Whats going on here? Is it stuck? No way it's done after 1 day....
What was ur ferm temp? And did u reoxygenate the wort at 12hrs after pitching, that’s huge for yeast health in a big ris.

What was ur ferm temp? And did u reoxygenate the wort at 12hrs after pitching, that’s huge for yeast health in a big ris.
I pitched at 90 and its been sitting in a room thats about 75 degrees. I oxygenated with pure O2 before I pitched but I did not reoxygenate. Should I? I've never heard of that...

I pitched at 90 and its been sitting in a room thats about 75 degrees. I oxygenated with pure O2 before I pitched but I did not reoxygenate. Should I? I've never heard of that...
Also I have a "brew belt". Its a wimpy little heater coil that would add 5-10 degrees. Should I add it? Since this is a RIS I wasn't going to go too hot to avoid esters, but if my yeats is already struggling, its likely too late to avoid that....

Also I have a "brew belt". Its a wimpy little heater coil that would add 5-10 degrees. Should I add it? Since this is a RIS I wasn't going to go too hot to avoid esters, but if my yeats is already struggling, its likely too late to avoid that....

So I actually measured the gravity and its 1.024, so I guess its not stalled. Its done after only 36 hours. Unbelievable.

Geeze so this thing is 13% abv and I am still supposed to add whiskey. I ended up overshooting my OG quite a bit (assumed 62% eff, got about 75%). Hope its not too boozy tasting...

Latest posts

Back