pitch on yeast cake - how much does 1st batch effect 2nd batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am planning on making a Stone Enjoy by clone - a double IPA with a LOT of hops and an OG of about 1.080. It will use wlp007 and I'm making a 10 gallon batch. Rather than making a 4L starter, I'd like to just make a smaller beer and re-use the cake. I've done this in the past on several occasions with great success. I've always followed the guidelines of going from lower to higher gravity, from lower to higher IBUs and from lighter to darker color. This is supposed to ensure that the first batch won't effect the second batch.

I can do this easily enough but I wanted to use a lot of pilsner and rye in the first batch and the second batch will be a mix of english pale and 2 row. Will I get any noticeable flavors going from a medium hopped rye pilsner to a super hoppy dipa that uses neither rye nor pilsner?

I normally wouldn't worry about this kind of thing too much but the Stone Enjoy by clone is an expensive batch of beer (about $45 worth of hops alone) so I want to be sure I don't end up with a weird rye pilsner flavor in the dipa.

Worse case scenario is that I use the 007 on a different batch that more closely resembles the Enjoy by ingredients.

The trub of a beer contains the flavors of the beer. Probably a bit more bitter than what you had in the bottle, but still the flavor.
You would be better off to rinse the trub from the yeast.

I'm on the side that says that it will have very little effect on the subsequent beer. Most of the flavor compounds are in the beer. You have what; maybe 3 pints from a 5 gallon batch in the trub, that is 6%, and most of it is solids. How much affect do you think it would have if you poured a couple of pints of the beer into your next batch? If you think it would have an affect, then you need to wash the yeast, if not, then just pitch.

With such an expensive batch, I would be more concerned about pitching the correct amount of yeast. No matter what the gravity is, pitching onto a full cake is almost always over-pitching. If the new batch is 2X the volume and 2X the gravity, then the whole cake would be appropriate, anything less is over-pitching.

and[/B] 2X the gravity, then the whole cake would be appropriate, anything less is over-pitching.

I'm going to split the cake into two buckets - the rye pilsner will be 5 gallons on wlp007 (the other 5 will be a different yeast). The enjoy by clone is a 10 gallon batch.

Latest posts

Back