pitch more slurry for a stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drunkinThailand

Reaction score
I brewed up a Porter last Saturday, pitched some harvested yeast that I had made a quick vitality starter with, but when the airlock activity slowed quicker than I thought it should I took a gravity reading yesterday, Wednesday.

Original gravity was 1.070, and I was hoping final gravity would be down to at least 1.017. However when I checked it was only 1.029.

I am going to check again on Friday - if it is still inching down I will let it keep going, but if it is stuck can I just pitch some more of the harvested slurry that I have? When I tested the hydrometer sample it tasted fine, if that matters (just too sweet).

If I can, do I just put 1.029 into the calculator to figure out how much yeast to pitch?

No slurry won't work, you would need to pitch active yeast, preferably at high krausen.

Which yeast did you use?

Give it another week, at a bit higher temps (75F) if possible. A little rousing may help to bring the yeast back up from the bottom. If you have CO2, use that to rouse.

If it still hasn't budged after another week make a new large starter and pitch when that is at high krausen. Alternatively, you can cold crash it when it's at high krausen, then decant, warm back up and pitch with a gentle stir/rouse to prevent air getting mixed into your beer and oxidizing it.

Thanks for the help

I have been busy, just took another gravity reading - 1.026. I've raised the temp a few degrees, will rouse daily and wait a few more days, then if it isn't going down i will pitch a starter at full krausen.

If making a starter out of slurry, should I just use 100 billion cells and the amount of wort from a calculator, or if I have more cells available should I use more? I've never made a traditional starter before.

thanks again

Back