Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, mine's been in bottles for two weeks, and it doesn't taste very good. The pineapple is overbearing, and there's a bit of an astringent taste to it, which I can't tell where it's coming from. I don't think it's from accidentally doubling the galena hops, since it doesn't taste very bitter. I'm also getting almost no flavor from the malts, which might be due to the strength of the pineapple and hops.

Has anyone else had similar problems with this beer, and did they clear up with aging? Or am I stuck with alcoholic dirty pineapple water?

Give it a few more weeks and it may surprise you. I didn't start that way so I'm not sure what it will turn into. I agree the hops shouldn't have caused that flavor challenge. Which rum/oak chips did you use?

I used French oak from my LHBS and half Sailor Jerry's (cuz I had some and wanted to get rid of it) and half Myers.

I know Jerry's seems to provide undesirable flavors according to other users, but I'm not getting an overwhelming rum flavor, so I don't think it's the problem. It does add a nice aroma, though.

Welp, I think I figured out what went wrong. All my bottles turned into gushers, so I must've picked up an infection along the way.

I'm pretty sure it came from the oaking step. I assumed the rum would sterilize it well enough, but maybe not. Any of you more experienced brewers have a good method for sterilizing oak chips? And how do you add it to a carboy, getting it through that tiny hole at the top without spilling soggy oak everywhere?

I soaked my oak chips the same day as brew day to really soak in well for the sterilization/wood essence. After 2 weeks of fermenting, I added the pineapple and oak chips. Very awesome beer. I have a 10" funnel that could barely handle the pineapple chunks or the geometry of the bunched up oak chips, just had to shake, shake, shake.

Going to brew this for my birthday and was just wondering, do you guys add the rum that you soak the chips in or just the chips. Not sure if this question has been answered but there's no way I can read through all of this.

I never have added the the extra rum that was never soaked up by the chips. I pour it back into the bottle and use it again for a future batch. But its up to you.

I will brew this beer with adding cinnamon (ground) and candied pineapple. For secondary fermentation (30 days) 200ml Rum (54%) with 50g of oak chips (heavy toast), with a little touch of vanilla extract. To bottling another 100ml of Rum.

Brewing my first batch right now. Not set up for AG yet so had to go extract.

image-1085206093.jpg

I am somewhat of a dilettante in the the brewing game, but has anyone ever put the wood chips in the boil to extract the smokiness? Would it work? Is is safe to do it that way (just thinking it would extract something unwanted)? Thanks for any facts and opinions!

I second that. If you want natural smoke, throw some large stones in a fire for a bit, then toss them in the boil. Or u could cheat and add a bit of liquid smoke at bottling.

All that I can think of is tannin extracts......when boiling wood.....but, there's a really good chance I'm way off on that.

What about mashing it out? Such as performing the same method as you wood (pun intended) with extracting the fermentables from the grains, and making sure you do not go over the 170 degree mark so you do not extract the tannins. From my understanding, I believe you would extract tannins from the grains if you go over that temp right?

Just a thought, and thanks:)

What about mashing it out? Such as performing the same method as you wood (pun intended) with extracting the fermentables from the grains, and making sure you do not go over the 170 degree mark so you do not extract the tannins. From my understanding, I believe you would extract tannins from the grains if you go over that temp right?

Just a thought, and thanks:)

Didn't get the notification of the reply on thisn'. I think you should definitely try it! It's a good theory for sure and one that makes sense.

Finally gathered all the ingredients to make this batch, and am excited to see how this comes out. From the experiences people posted on here, I am expecting a great beer. My efficiency did not come out well, I ended up around 1.070+, so I decided to add some cane sugar to raise the OG to the specified expected OG. Thanks for the recipe!

Maybe next time I will experiment with a small batch to see if I can acquire the smokiness via mash out, and thanks for tip guys:mug:

Those of you that have successfully made this recipe, I was wondering if you used 4oz of oak woodchips as a wet or dry measurement?

I soaked the wood chips and poured all the chips and liquid right in and kinda pissed I did, to strong of a rum flavor.my recommendation would be to strain the chips and just use that

j1laskey said:
I just substituted the 5# of DME with a 15# of 2 Row. I kept all other grains the same
Much appreciated! Think this will be my first attempt at a wood aged beer, definitely looks interesting.

So I am trying to make sure this is prepared for Christmas, so after about a week and a half of sitting in the fermenter, I decided to add the wood chips and vanilla bean. I also tasted a sample, and it taste pretty good. Tasted the pineapple, but not really the cinnamon. Maybe the strong alcohol taste and pineapple flavor mask the cinnamon. Also measured from OG at 1.090 and somewhat of a FG of 1.018, but it is slightly fermenting, so hopefully it will end at 1.014.

Has anyone ever put the wood chips in earlier than what the recipe calls for? Thanks

I've let it go longer vs any shorter. I don't think you'd harm it as long as fermentation was complete. I think you will want to let it be in the keg or bottle for the total specified time though. This just gets better as it hangs out. I still have one left of my mango version in the fridge and it's about a year old +. The flavors have continued to blend and increase in awesomeness. :)

Thanks for the advice pwortiz! I definitely will let it age out.

Adding mango sounds like a great idea as well. After this current brew is completed, I will probably consider another fruit. Did you add the mango with the pineapple? If not, that also sounds like it would be a great flavor

Thanks for the advice pwortiz! I definitely will let it age out.

Adding mango sounds like a great idea as well. After this current brew is completed, I will probably consider another fruit. Did you add the mango with the pineapple? If not, that also sounds like it would be a great flavor

107 is my post for the debacle that ended up OK https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/pirate-strong-ale-318340/index11.html#post4309019

I used 2 mangoes instead of the pineapple along with 2 vanilla beans and I had a bunch of cap'n Morgan tattoo that I had virtually nothing else to do with. Hungarian oak chips vs the French due to the availability.

I called the finished product The Tattooed Mango Pirate. Had a couple ideas for the label but drank too quick as usual :)

My friends liked both as they were different enough to be "individuals" unto themselves.

FWIW, the last time I made this was AG and the only tweak was the Belle Saison yeast I used because it was effin' hot here and stable above 83. Turned out great with 1.060 to .980.

Best 'o luck!

So i cracked one of mine the other day about a month after bottling and well i am not pleased:(. I added way to much rum to it so its over powering :smack:, its not carbed enough:confused:, and its very "thick" not like any beer i have ever had. My only option i can think of is to try and age it out a bit, anyone try that before and how long do u think. Year maybe ok?

So i cracked one of mine the other day about a month after bottling and well i am not pleased:(. I added way to much rum to it so its over powering :smack:, its not carbed enough:confused:, and its very "thick" not like any beer i have ever had. My only option i can think of is to try and age it out a bit, anyone try that before and how long do u think. Year maybe ok?

You said you added all that rum, right? How much was that exactly? It's possible, perhaps, that it created an environment that became too hostile to our little yeasties and put 'em to sleep. Let it continue to age....Not sure about this "thickness". I have seen it in other beers but not in this one to date.

That really sucks man.

I think that's what happened with the yeast, I soaked the wood chips in a pint of the rum and then just dumped the whole thing in. Now that I have gone back and read some more people say to strain out the chips.

Some others said they have added the rum along with the oak chips and have also experienced off flavors. I know this might be too late but, the wood chips will soak up plenty of rum, there is no reason to add the extra rum. Pour it back into the bottle and reuse it for another batch.

My suggestion is to let this sit for a while and see how it turns out.

Bottled today and tried a sample, and it taste like pineapple, vanilla, which is very tasty. Couldn't really taste the cinnamon or oak right now, but this is very promising. Cannot wait to taste it during the holiday times of Christmas. Thanks for the recipe!

Just made starter to brew this tomorrow, but I have one quick question. What size cinnamon stick is recommended? The ones I have are about a foot long, so I don't want to overdo it! Thanks!

Just made starter to brew this tomorrow, but I have one quick question. What size cinnamon stick is recommended? The ones I have are about a foot long, so I don't want to overdo it! Thanks!

LOL...I have NEVER seen a footlong cinnamon stick. You have to post a pic of that man. The ones I use are usually between 3-5" based on what I get at the store.

I really want to see a pic of this thing. :tank:

I never even knew I suffered from such a thing. You go dude. lol. I'd snap one 'o them babies in half. But, to be honest, depending on the region it's from, cinnamon can be a highly different flavor and concentration in those. Where'd you get them? And, FWIW, the cinnamon flavor in all of my batches has not been an overpowering flavor. It's pretty far in the background and you have to know what it is to place it.

Who's got the footlong?!

Back