Pipe smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAught

Reaction score
Anyone here smoke a pipe? I've recently taken it up. My grandfather left me a Dr Grabow Starfire quarter bent squat bulldog pipe after his death 35 years ago. I'm still trying to get the pack down to where it burns nice, it seems to go out on me a lot with how I'm currently doing it. I still need to experiment with tobacco types until I find one I'm going to like. It seems to be rather relaxing to just stop in the evening, sit back, and light the pipe.

I do off and on when I have time for it. Only been puffing for a few months. Still a newb. I found youtube to be a tremendous resource for figuring things out.

What tobaccos have you tried? I like a lot of the McClelland brand stuff. Deep Hollow is my favorite right now. Also, if anyone wants to get into pipes, I recommend smokingpipes.com. You can pick up some really unique estate pipes. I buy tobacco there too.

Go into your local smoke shop, they will have jars of pipe tobacco for sale by the ounce. Buy an ounce at a time and smoke that till you find one you really like.

To get a good smoke without having to relight constantly, take a pinch of tobacco about the size of a dime and pack it into a ball in the palm of your hand.This takes a little practice but you'll get it down. Then put the ball down into the bottom of the bowl and pack loose tobacco on top of the ball. Don't pack it to hard or you will just cruch the ball that you worked hard to create. Fill the bowl till is just below the top. When you light give several good draws to get a nice ember burning. Once you do that it should continue to burn with an occasional puff. I can usually make a bowl last 20-30 minutes without relighting.

I like that ball idea, I'll have to try it next time i smoke. Normally I just pack the bowl a third at a time and make sure I've got the top lit all the way around. I generally relight once or not at all. And +1 on the tobacco shops that sell by the ounce, it'll last longer than you think and you don't want to buy a bag of something you don't like and have it last a year.

Latest posts

Back