Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m playing around with oak scraps from new stairs I put in. Still working on the stairs.

Here’s a few pics

Attachments

• 9DD89DD0-4873-4343-8800-0957B61AD07B.jpeg
    9DD89DD0-4873-4343-8800-0957B61AD07B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 54E90BDE-2ADC-424E-99BC-84769BDDEFEA.jpeg
    54E90BDE-2ADC-424E-99BC-84769BDDEFEA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • CC0315B6-FF9D-4953-9A06-49FE9F0E3AE9.jpeg
    CC0315B6-FF9D-4953-9A06-49FE9F0E3AE9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • EFED3499-C8E7-4C9A-B747-ADFE2E69B4C7.jpeg
    EFED3499-C8E7-4C9A-B747-ADFE2E69B4C7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 15A96EFD-E95A-4BE8-AA06-54920B3A64B9.jpeg
    15A96EFD-E95A-4BE8-AA06-54920B3A64B9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before, considering the number of posts.

I started smoking a pipe when I was about 54 and turned 62 today. Along with homebrewing and photography, pipe smoking and collecting is my other main hobby. While I do enjoy smoking and admiring my beautiful pipes, it is the friendships I have forged through pipe smoking that has been the main benefit. I have now have many friends in the pipe community both locally and internationally.

The last weekend of May 2022, my pipe club, the Chicago Pipe Collectors Club (CPCC), is hosting the 25th Chicagoland International Pipe and Tobacciana Show near Chicago. It has been the largest pipe show in the world for most of those 25 years. It's a great, multi-day event. Although I expect a modest decrease in foreign visitors due to COVID-19, this is looking like another great show. If you're able to come, check it out!

Welcome Craiginthecorn

Thank you for sharing!
Tobacco pipes are art-full creations and pipe smoking is not a lost art as my title to this thread suggested.

Welcome! I look forward to your sharing

Mahalo
Dan

Its been so long, I don't remember. Started off as a cigar smoker and transitioned to a pipe at the behest of my brother. Not that I don't enjoy a great cigar, I do. Any fool can smoke a cigar but it takes a little talent to smoke a pipe.

I'm going to be at the Chicago Pipe Show this Thursday-Sunday and will have 5 gallons of a California Common with Simcoe in addition to the traditional Northern Brewer hops. First time brewing this style and it's pretty solid.

Anyone else going?

To far away from SC for me!
I just saw this thread and wanted to add I’m a pipe smoker also, enjoy a good bowl with a bourbon.
I order lots of different tobacco to try, just like beer or food I don’t want the same flavor every time.

I use this kind of tobacco pipe , for me its not a lost art its more of a forgotten art and i forgot what i was gonna say 😉
D72CB000-8A6F-4634-9F74-2761548BCA68.jpeg

I was sick a few weeks ago and it stuck with me for a whole two weeks so I hadn't smoked in about a month but I did today and hell the first whiff of tobacco excited my senses in a way that's hard to explain.

Have been enjoying some Sutliff Heavy English recently. It’s Latakia forward but not heavy by any means. Cool, dry smoke. I have a dedicated pipe for this because all my other pipes are aromatic seasoned.

Will keep this tobacco around, probably delve into more English blends but will also keep smoking aromatics.

Last edited:
Been looking for a pipe tobacco that taste like a good cigar. Haven’t found one. Finally decided if I want good cigar flavor, just open my humidor and smoke a good cigar.

I haven’t found a cigar that taste like a pipe and vice versa.

Been looking for a pipe tobacco that taste like a good cigar. Haven’t found one. Finally decided if I want good cigar flavor, just open my humidor and smoke a good cigar.

I haven’t found a cigar that taste like a pipe and vice versa.
Potentially stupid question, but can one buy cigar tobacco leaves and instead of rolling shred it for pipe smoking?

Anybody still check out this thread?

i just saw it again and want to ask if the one handed roll of a cigarette was a lost art too? on horse back of course..... :mug:

Potentially stupid question, but can one buy cigar tobacco leaves and instead of rolling shred it for pipe smoking?

i shouldn't say this but

https://www.leafonly.com/
and if you ever wanted tobacco flavored wraps to compliment your glass dick... good for that too!

i just saw it again and want to ask if the one handed roll of a cigarette was a lost art too? on horse back of course..... :mug:

i shouldn't say this but

and if you ever wanted tobacco flavored wraps to compliment your glass dick... good

i shouldn't say this but

and if you ever wanted tobacco flavored wraps to compliment your glass dick... good for that too!
Shots fired 😆

Gotcha thats cool, you do whatever you like to do

i have experimented trying to figure out how to make ALL my own, f'd around with cell cultures. unfortantly, a glass petri dish with a marijuana cell culture isn't the same for a pipe smoking thread 🤣

of course me saying over and over when i asked for a tobacco pipe at the head shop a few years back, and had to keep saying NO a 'TOBACCO' pipe...until they took me a little glass display to get one...it is a lost art..

I’ve made a few pipe stands.

Here is one I made for my son. The hole is off center. Can’t believe I got that wrong. Very embarrassing

The wood is red oak and maple

Attachments

• 9C6D994D-0DD0-425B-8A2E-2DAB7D2584D2.jpeg
    9C6D994D-0DD0-425B-8A2E-2DAB7D2584D2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
My dad was an avid pipe smoker. He always like the bent ones. I can’t remember times when he didn’t have a pipe in his mouth. Crazy thing is, he was a doctor, a physician. I guess back in his day smoking was ok. Funny thing though he wasn’t a heavy smoker just always had a pipe when he was not at his practice.

Good man my dad. My hero in many ways

Dad grew up on a farm. My grandpa was a tough father. Assholish. I think that is why Dad got the hell out of the house and went to college. Dad and his older brother went to Palmer College, Davenport

My sis once told me something my mom told her. Back in the early days my grandparents brought food to Mom and Dad.

Fast forward 20 years and Dad and Mom were a bit, not sure wealthy is the correct word. But they were a little well to do.

Both passed in there mid 60’s. I’m almost that old in 5 years. I have no idea why cancer took them out. It’s just effed up

I’m not sure how to work this.

I’d like to give away pipe stands to HBT. Like the ones I showed. I’m not an artist.

Maybe some of you can help me figure out how.

Tex and Passedpawn are my go to folk

Mahalo
Dan Dawson

You're a good man Dan, I always love your posts. I'm sorry about your parents, that's way too young to go.

I have about half and half bent stem and straight stem, I love them all. I'm the first one in my family to start smoking a pipe, my parents never touched tobacco as far as I know, I'm pretty sure my grandparents smoked cigarettes but everybody did back then and they stopped early on.

I haven't smoked much lately because either I'm having lasting symptoms of the flu or I have really bad allergies.

Im editing to put in a note.
THIS IS A LONG POST I HOPE YOU READ

I hope you get to feeling better soon Sam!

Obviously smoking tobacco means a person doesn’t care about their health….Ahem, snortle, BS :)

I care about my health or wouldn’t try and take care of it. I have some behaviors that taken to extremes would probably be my doomsday.

I believe a human body is extremely strong. Taking good care of it helps along the way to fight off disease and crappy stuff.

My parents pretty much lived a clean life. A bottle of wine would last for a few years. Only to be had at New Years dinner. Morgan David- yech.

Ya, Dad smoked a pipe very gently. I think mostly it was an oral fixation thing (that shouldn’t sound gay, it’s like some people chew on toothpicks or pencils)

He didn’t die from oral or lung cancer. It was colon. Mostly preventable now if a person gets a colonoscopy regularly. I don’t think my dad did. Can’t ask him now but guessing no.

My last colonoscopy at age 57, I had 10 polyps. None cancerous or pre-cancerous. The doc removed them all. I pretty much woke up during the procedure. Enough to talk to the doc and remember.

If you’ve ever walked through tunnels that are amazingly beautiful you would be more amazed at the inside of your colon.

There’s no poop. A cleansing process that will turn your ahole into a wide open fire hydrant the day before ensures no poop.

Sounds like a bad process to go through. It isn’t really. The two castings days before is really the hard part. Liquids only

As I was saying I woke up during the procedure. Not enough to feel a big ass snake with camera stuck deep into my colon

I’m going to tell you your colon (cleaned out) is a beautiful mysterious tunnel

How many still hanging into this post. Lol.

I talked to the nurse after the procedure and told her how amazing the video stream of my colon were. She said she had been the doctors nurse 33 years and since she started 30 years ago she has been amazed by the beauty of a (cleaned) colon.

I’m not making this up.

Everyman and woman by the age of 50 should have a colonoscopy. Polyps can be removed before they become cancerous. Years before

If my dad would have done that early on. Potentially he would been 90 this year which isn’t real crazy. He has two older sisters in their 90’s and his much older brother died at 96.

My dad died at 66. 35 years younger than his oldest brother.

My mom? 62. Cancer. I have no idea why

This is a very long text but I feel it is important.

Don’t be hesitant to get a colonoscopy. Trust me it’s better than not getting one, getting colon cancer and having so much colon removed you need to poop through a bab stick I’m your gut and needing a nurse to clean it out. Worse off your Kim’s have to do that chore.

I had to do that once for my dad. I wish to hell his; maybe pride, maybe embarrassment having the procedure done. I wish he would have gotten over that aspect. Because I’ll tell you what. Having my dad around would have been really great these past 28 years would have been great!

My mom. I think from what I know now. PAP smears would have saved her life too. She was the youngest in her family. The oldest sister died in her mid-ninetees. Mom’s two older brothers alive are in their late eighties. Mom would be 86 now.

Cancer screening. If you think it’s embarrassing and you’re ok. Not so embarrassing, you might be ok now. But cancer is like rust, corrosion. It might only be a little now but time doesn’t wait. Eventually it eats through the structure

I didn’t plan to put anything like this on a pipe thread. I just hope those who have read all the way through please heed my advice.

Your children will be happy you are taking precautionary measures so you’ll be around when your children will still need you. So your grandchildren will get to spend a good number of years with you.

Mahalo
Dan Dawson

Last edited:
I should fix some spelling above. Auto correct changed words. I believe you can see what I meant to say
Mahalo
Dan

Great post Dan, I'm a few years shy of the colonoscopy but you've convinced me of it's significance. Maybe you can also convince me to get over my fear of getting a vasectomy. I don't like doctors, operations, or taking my pants off around people but I also don't want to recreate that Monty Python sketch.

Great post Dan, I'm a few years shy of the colonoscopy but you've convinced me of it's significance. Maybe you can also convince me to get over my fear of getting a vasectomy. I don't like doctors, operations, or taking my pants off around people but I also don't want to recreate that Monty Python sketch.
They now say in your mid forties a “poop” test is advisable. Many insurance companies will ask you to do it. I’m not sure if it’s because they care about you or they just want to mitigate their loses if preemptive care cost less.

So even if they only care about the bottom( no pun intended) dollar cost. It’s good for you. The poop check basically consist of a person having a bowel movement then taking a small sample and mailing it back. **** through the postal system who knew?Lol

The results are supposed to be around 90% accurate from what I’ve read.

I had a full colonoscopy first time around 45 because my dad died from colon cancer. It was clear.

Didn’t do another till I was in my mid 50’s. Scheduled for another soon. It’s a preventable cancer but if no prevention taken can be a fight to live or die.

All embarrassment needs set aside. Do tests. I lowered my embarrassment level after I had major surgery 2 months ago. I had three days of turds stored up. Had to poop in a bedpan and a very young pretty nurse, younger than my youngest daughter. The young girl had to wipe my butt. Imagine pooping laying down. It’s messy. The young lady cleaned me up. It was totally embarrassing but she was a pro.

I only tell that story because human bodies are all the same. Eat, grow,sleep, poop. Nobody is different than that. Medical professionals know that, through experience better than most.

As far as a vasectomy there is only one question you and your wife must answer. Do we want children, or do we want anymore children?

Most likely the doc will ask these questions and he wants a clear answer. The doctor will be the person who takes your ability to reproduce away but is also the person who lets you make love to your wife with no chance of baby. Alternative to a vasectomy is a rubber or putting your wife on birth control. Neither are 100% accurate and the pill long term is not necessarily a healthy option

The vasectomy procedure was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

The worst part was the doc asked me if an intern could watch the procedure. Then shows up a young intern. Very pretty.

During my vasectomy I wasn’t totally knocked out for but wasn’t really awake for either. They finished. I put on my pants a my wife drove me home.

Next few days on a pain scale of 1-10, about 2

Hope this helps

Mahalo
Dan

Last edited:
I didn’t mean to throw this thread off track

Been smoking Crooner some more. Definitely not an aromatic. It’s cube cut burley with an herb. According to legend this tobacco was Bing Crosby’s fav. That’s while it’s called Crooner. I’m not familiar with the term because it was way before my time.

I started replying to your post and got very rambley so I'm going to post that over in "I like this time of night..."

I smoked again this week cause I'm finally over that damn flu. I think the blends I smoke are classified as aromatics but I don't know.

I agree with you Dan that the human body is very strong and can pretty much take care of itself. I try not to get in the habit of smoking too often because I want to be around for my kids and their kids.

Pipe smoking is a lot like beer drinking in that it's best done socially. The goal should be conversation and connection and the smoking or drinking just breaks down the walls we put up until we're around like minded people.

I’m not going to fib, or lie anymore.

I like smoking pipes and on fairly exact order

Nicotine hit
Cool smoking tobacco that in a good pipe doesn’t burn my tongue

Aesthetically pleasing pipe - my favorites are straight long stems.
My da liked full bent. Not for me.

The aroma the pipe smoke smell It would be nice to get a compliment however in these days and people accusing you of destroying their lungs because their body has succumbed to an immune system dependent on public media opinion.

Not many compliments on tobacco smoke

There was a tobacco place here on Oahu. You could buy a cigar or pipe tobacco or new pipe. Smoke it in the store while watching a big screen tv. Then order lunch. There was a great forced ventilation system. Pipes and cigars produce excess smoke.

So do cigarettes but they were not allowed

Of course the place shut down after a few years.

Zonining

Latest posts

Back