Pioneer Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheArgus

Reaction score
So, just set up a 1 gallon test batch of something interesting. After crawling though my local library I came upon a copy of "Dr. Chase's Recipes, or, Information for Everybody" c. 1986. Inside I came across a number of beer recipes that I've been busily copying down into a notebook and adjusting for modern home brew batch sizes and techniques. The first of them to catch my eye, "Gas Beer," just got pitched.

Recipe is as follows:

GAS BEER, PATENT: Ginger 2 ozs; Allspice 1oz; Cinnamon 1/2 oz; Cloves 1/4oz; All bruised or ground; Molasses 2 qts; Cold water 7 1/2 gals.; Yeast 1 pt.
Boil the pulverized articles, for fifteen or twenty minutes, in the molasses; then strain into your keg, and add the water, then the yeast; shake it well together and bung down.

The good doctor then goes on to talk about where he got the recipe, that he payed a full $2(!) for it, and that it is possible for it to be ready within a day. This leads me to think that he intends it as more of a soda... which is odd because he listed it with the beers rather then with the "soda" style drinks. Either way, as I've made some mild changes, I'm going to carry it though a full fermentation and see what happens with it. Pictures soon! :D

Nothing to heavy, right around the 1.040 range, if I remember correctly (set up a few little batches tonight :). But you're right. It'll be interesting to see how long given the small amount of molasses actually in it. I'm thinking when it's done I'm going to bottle half of it as is as the good Dr. suggests, and then the other half I'm going to prime and see how that turns out.

edit: actually, might have been lighter then that. I'll have to check my notes tomorrow ;D

Back