Pinkus Munster ALT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldskooldawgz

Reaction score
Alright I bought this beer because I wanted an Altbier. What was delivered was different than I expected. It is all organic and imported from Munster Germany, but was not a Northern German or Dusseldorf altbier. I was extremely happy with this pale earthy easily drinkable beer probably one of my favorites and defiantly a lot smoother than the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout that I had a couple of nights ago. So what do yall think of Pinkus and their "Altbier"?

I like it a lot. How does it differ from a North German or Dusseldorf Alt? I think the Pinkus is the only Alt I've ever tried.

Its mostly color i guess. It is the only one i have had as well and my was a golden color where a northern or Dusseldorf should be atleast 13 SRM. I dont know flavor differences because it is the only one i have had as well. I quite enjoyed it and would put it on the top of my list as one i would want to have on tap.

it's typically paler than the Norddeutsche or Düsseldorf Altbiers. Malt-wise it's typically made up of Pilsner malt w/ a good amount of wheat. Michael Jackson notes that it is slightly sour, due to a cellaring of 6 months or so w/ a resident lactic culture (https://byo.com/stories/item/123-altbier-style-of-the-month); which means, the homebrewer has a few different options concerning souring. i haven't tried pinkus alt yet but it's on my list. with that being said, one may choose to 1) blend 2x2.5 gal batches or any preferred ratio of hybrid ale to sour ale mix using a cultured lacto pack from wyeast or white labs, or simply allowing lacto to naturally grow via a sour mash, 2) 3 stage fermentation: primary (high temp), secondary (low temp), tertiary (add lacto, and reg temp) or 3) doing tertiary w/ steps as 3, 1, then 2.

also, it's probably less bitter than the other versions, thus allowing lacto to grow more; thus, minimal hopping. Ray Daniels cites a Tabernaemontanus as describing beers along the Rheinland in, i think, the 1500's as being of "poor quality" rather sour, using unmalted grains in addition to malted grains, and "noxious herbs." this described beer was probably the prototype of the Münster Alt.

so i guess, in summary, pils malt, wheat malt, unmalted wheat (perhaps no malted wheat?) and a 1/2 oz or so of a noble hop w/ a mixed hybrid yeast/lacto fermentation should put you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back