Pinks ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya mean I gotta look it up myself? Geeze. :drunk:

So I searched all sorts of searches with pink, pinks, mead and recipe. I searched plants, herbs and spices used in mead. I came up with Mead's Sedge which is yellow and has nothing to do with mead at all.

So I kept searching.

Herb Mead. He really likes University Washington Huskys and gave the team a lot of money.

Spiraea salicifolia! :ban: Maybe.
"It is one of the fifty ingredients in a drink called 'Save,' mentioned in Chaucer's Knight's Tale, in the fourteenth century being called Medwort, or Meadwort, i.e. the mead or honey-wine herb, and the flowers were often put into wine and beer. It is still incorporated in many herb beers."
- botanical . com

Now when I search Medwort Meadwort the exact quote above is on every site. That means it's one piece of info being parroted around. Kinda makes me wonder.

A quick google for 'Mead ingredient "pinks"', turns up lots of references to Dianthus gratianopolitanus aka Clove Pinks aka Cheddar Pinks and sometimes called GillyFlower.

It seems it was commonly used to flavor wines and other drinks since medieval times.

The flower and parts of the stem have a clover-like flavor.

It also seems to turn up in relation to harry potter, please tell me that's not where your recipe is from.

Thanks, pimento. And yes. It is from Harry Potter. I base all my life decisions on Harry Potter. That and which way the cat's shed claws are facing when I find them on the rug.

No. If I had a recipe, I'd have posted it and where it came from. I read a single sheet of paper that was laying on the home brew shelf at a local home brew slash garden slash pet supplies slash hardware slash commercial lawn equipment store. It said some stuff about beer and wine and mead and in the mead section it said an ancient drink sometimes flavored with herbs and spices such as blah blah blah and pinks. The store had no pinks nor any idea what they were. Probably comes from a plant, they said.

:mug:

Hey I used the same search terms as you but in Bing and Cuil.

Related Searches for mead ingredient pinks, from Bing
# Meth Ingredients
# Ingredients in Cigarettes

dubyateeeff :confused:

Yep, pinks are related to carnations -
dianthus_gratianopolitanus.jpg

You should be able to find some at a local garden center or nursery depending upon when the weather cools down or where you live. You'll want to probably make sure that you grow them for a bit to get fresh flowers at least a few weeks after planting. this will help minimize any pesticides in and on the plant and flowers.
GTG

FWIW sounds like they would have some good flavors to offer to meads. How much did it say to add?

Carnations (Dianthus caryophyllus - aka Dianthus) - Carnations can be steeped in wine, candy, or use as cake decoration. To use the surprisingly sweet petals in desserts, cut them away from the bitter white base of the flower. Dianthus are the miniature member of the carnation family with light clove-like or nutmeg scent. Petals add color to salads or aspics. Carnation petals are one of secret ingredients that has been used to make Chartreuse, a French liqueur, since the 17th century.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm

Latest posts

Back