Pineapple sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chels

Reaction score
How’s it looking? First time souring started it in May
59443256133__CD16BC59-6C80-457D-93DA-65D2AFA2B648.JPG

Attachments

• 59443256133__CD16BC59-6C80-457D-93DA-65D2AFA2B648.JPG
    59443256133__CD16BC59-6C80-457D-93DA-65D2AFA2B648.JPG
    660.7 KB · Views: 49
Interesting...

What's the recipe, yeast, expectation?

Cheers [emoji111]

Any reason to use whole pineapple, instead of cored and diced?

Btw. This oily film on the surface is something which I experienced quite often on my normal beers, sometimes it seemed to have a detrimental effect on foam and taste, sometimes it didn't seem to do anything.

@RPh_Guy any idea what that is?

Btw. This oily film on the surface is something which I experienced quite often on my normal beers, sometimes it seemed to have a detrimental effect on foam and taste, sometimes it didn't seem to do anything.

@RPh_Guy any idea what that is?
The film in this case is a pellicle. It indicates the presence of wild yeast and/or bacteria, and oxygen in the headspace.

I wouldn't describe a pellicle as "oily". You can see in the photo it does not reflect light at all; at the bottom of the photo we see light reflecting from a little bit of exposed liquid, but not the film. A pellicle is generally more thin and always more hydrophilic than coagulated fats, and forms more jagged shapes or simply covers the whole surface.

Unless you're intending to use wild microbes, you're experiencing a recurring contamination. Also, there's oxygen in the headspace because the microbes typically won't form a pellicle otherwise.

The film in this case is a pellicle. It indicates the presence of wild yeast and/or bacteria, and oxygen in the headspace.

I wouldn't describe a pellicle as "oily". You can see in the photo it does not reflect light at all; at the bottom of the photo we see light reflecting from a little bit of exposed liquid, but not the film. A pellicle is generally more thin and always more hydrophilic than coagulated fats, and forms more jagged shapes or simply covers the whole surface.

Unless you're intending to use wild microbes, you're experiencing a recurring contamination. Also, there's oxygen in the headspace because the microbes typically won't form a pellicle otherwise.
That's what I thought. I got the "light version" of it. The longer I keep the beer in my fermenter the higher the probability that this film shows up (in a very thin form).

I threw away almost all of my stuff anyway as I am going to move back to Germany next month, so the contamination will hopefully stay in the UK.

Hey, welcome to HBT!
It looks like I would expect.

How does it taste?

Thank you! So excited to be here! So far we have tasted it twice and it just keeps getting better! Not sure how long to wait until we bottle.

It looks the same when I do Tepache (same thing but only with Pineapple skin into water with sugar).

Back