Quantcast

Pineapple sour

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bmd2k1

Reaction score
Interesting...

What's the recipe, yeast, expectation?

Cheers [emoji111]

wasully

Reaction score
Any reason to use whole pineapple, instead of cored and diced?

Miraculix

Reaction score
Btw. This oily film on the surface is something which I experienced quite often on my normal beers, sometimes it seemed to have a detrimental effect on foam and taste, sometimes it didn't seem to do anything.

@RPh_Guy any idea what that is?

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Btw. This oily film on the surface is something which I experienced quite often on my normal beers, sometimes it seemed to have a detrimental effect on foam and taste, sometimes it didn't seem to do anything.

@RPh_Guy any idea what that is?
The film in this case is a pellicle. It indicates the presence of wild yeast and/or bacteria, and oxygen in the headspace.

I wouldn't describe a pellicle as "oily". You can see in the photo it does not reflect light at all; at the bottom of the photo we see light reflecting from a little bit of exposed liquid, but not the film. A pellicle is generally more thin and always more hydrophilic than coagulated fats, and forms more jagged shapes or simply covers the whole surface.

Unless you're intending to use wild microbes, you're experiencing a recurring contamination. Also, there's oxygen in the headspace because the microbes typically won't form a pellicle otherwise.

Miraculix

Reaction score
The film in this case is a pellicle. It indicates the presence of wild yeast and/or bacteria, and oxygen in the headspace.

I wouldn't describe a pellicle as "oily". You can see in the photo it does not reflect light at all; at the bottom of the photo we see light reflecting from a little bit of exposed liquid, but not the film. A pellicle is generally more thin and always more hydrophilic than coagulated fats, and forms more jagged shapes or simply covers the whole surface.

Unless you're intending to use wild microbes, you're experiencing a recurring contamination. Also, there's oxygen in the headspace because the microbes typically won't form a pellicle otherwise.
That's what I thought. I got the "light version" of it. The longer I keep the beer in my fermenter the higher the probability that this film shows up (in a very thin form).

I threw away almost all of my stuff anyway as I am going to move back to Germany next month, so the contamination will hopefully stay in the UK.

OP
chels

chels

Reaction score
Hey, welcome to HBT!
It looks like I would expect.

How does it taste?
Thank you! So excited to be here! So far we have tasted it twice and it just keeps getting better! Not sure how long to wait until we bottle.

doublejef

Reaction score
It looks the same when I do Tepache (same thing but only with Pineapple skin into water with sugar).