Pineapple cider..... Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGCUNN60

Reaction score
2 gallons Motts natural fresh pressed 100% apple juice
2 1/2 gallons pineapple juice
4 lbs corn sugar
2 lbs dark brown sugar
OG 1.100
Wyeast 4766 cider

So this is what I have going in 6.5 gallon bucket. By day 2-3 airlock was bubbling like crazy with some wonderful fruity smells coming through the vodka. Today is day 9 and still bubbling consistently every 2 secs but the smell Is a little more yeasty???? Kind of like the smell of the spud made in prison but with notes of pineapple. What should I do with this experiment?

Okay, I racked this into a 5 gallon glass carboy. I took a gravity reading of 1.000. This gives me just over 13% ABV if I did the math correctly? OG was 1.100. It is very cloudy. I also tasted it and WOW! It really packs a punch! It tastes like liquid heart burn! I'm hoping with time it will become a much smoother and enjoyable drink.

Okay so here's an update, after 2 months I just took a gravity reading of .990 I tasted and WOW! Lots of burn! I just added a packet of red star Montrachet wine yeast and the airlock started bubbling within seconds. Tell me what you think!

I'm curious as to why you added yeast with a gravity of .990. Seems like it would be time for aging/clearing, doubtful the gravity will drop any more.

I've worked in one for nearly 10 years now. I've found many gallons of it.

I made something very similar, except I only added about a pound of dextrose. The OG was 1.055. It fermented down to 1.000 in about four days so I racked it, left it for two months and just bottled it last night. Tasted delicious, but was still very cloudy.

Pineapple is a pretty extreme fruit when fermented since its very acidic.

I made a cider that was maybe 1/3 pineapple with the rest apple, and it was harsh for a long time and I considered it a failure.

I actually have had another batch sitting in secondary for months now and just bottled it. It tastes OK... but its nearly 6 months since I started it now.

With pure pineapple, you're going to have to age it like crazy IMHO.

I made a pure pineapple and it is superb. Def get the tropical fruit in the nose and palate. Its over a year old now nut has been good for some time.

BigCunn,
I also work in a Correctional Facility and our hobby does smell alot like the inmate's pruno although our finished product is a LOT classier. Funny thing, I could never really smell it out good at work like some of the guys, but after starting the home brew hobby, I have a really sensitive nose for it now.

Cracked open my first batch of straight 100% pineapple juice and EC-1118 yeast. It sat in primary for over a month, secondary for 2 months and then a third racking for another month before bottling. Bottle primed with table sugar and let them sit for another 4 months.

Came out bright, iridescent yellow, huge fresh pineapple aroma, clean and just what you think a pineapple cider should taste like. Has a bit of acidity and is very thin on mouthfeel; but all and all, a refreshing albeit different tasting beverage.

Back