Pine in fermenter!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
Has anyone added pine needles into the fermenter to make a Christmas ale extra Christmassy?

I a spruce tip APA once, and sometimes make spruce tip tea in the spring.

Spruce isn't pine, but if you do try...only add a little. Take the amount you think you should add, and add half that. My opinion (or, o-pine-nion), but if pine is like spruce - a little goes a LOOONG way.

In the APA, I added the tips at 5 minutes. One tip (so, I guess, maybe 20-30 fresh, green needles) per gallon.

Hope this helps...let us know if you go ahead with this!

I'm thinking about racking the beer into the second fermenter and running it through pine or spruce like a randalizer. Thanks for the input!

Ingesting pine needles can cause miscarriages. Please be REALLY aware if you use these in a brew. This is why spruce tips are more widely used.

I am planning my x-mas ale and will be brewing it soon. It will be a spruce tip and peppermint leaf gruit.

You use the young,growing tips of the spruce branches only. The rest of the tree's sap contain alcoloids & are poisonous. So the paler colored tips of the branches only.

Back