Pinball machines anybody?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodent

Rumbler of the low end
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Curious how many here enjoy a pinball machine or two at home, and if so whatcha got tucked away?

I bought my first pinball several years ago, and have recently decided it's time to give it an overhaul that includes a couple new PCBs, a playfield swap, and general reconditioning of all the mechanicals. I hope to start the project before summer rolls around, and finish it within 6-7 months. At 42 years old, this Paragon has had a very played life and shows it in a well worn playfield.

Outside of that machine that's now in the workshop, I have a couple others that populate the downstairs bar - Flash, Eight Ball Deluxe, Pin*Bot, and a recently acquired Johnny Mnemonic. I'd like to eventually add a Black Hole to round out the collection.

Having a couple machines makes for a great way to celebrate a new keg tapping with friends (at least it was pre-COVID)

Johnny Mnemonic is now up and running

JohnnyMnemonicPinball.jpg

i assume you turn off "Free Play" when the friends are over!

never played much pinball as a kid except for this

1609619382929.png

that machine looks fancier though....

Had super soccer since about 1990. The back glass for Stampede is currently out for restoration. Was thinking about a third one late last year but ended up in the hospital instead....
1617499133670.png

My wife is a big fan of pinball, I would like to get her one soon. If you are ever in VA, Roanoke has a pinball museum that is hands on. I've seen that Black Hole one. I played a lot of Terminator 2 in a dive bar in college.

Because I save so much $$ home brewing, I bought a Pinball machine 🤣 (notice the aging bottles on the floor, imperial stout from December 2020)

I just brought this home 2.5 weeks ago, my 1st pin!!

1965 Gottlieb Thoro-Bred, only 1750 made. Simple point system with 6 color-themed switches to activate special "shoot again" and higher point values. Super clean and only 2,200 lifetime games. Only had to solder 3 wires to get her 100% with new rubbers and ball as well. I still have 2-3 bulbs to replace.

Coming home soon is a 1967 Doozie by Williams, this one has 22K games on it and will receive the love it deserves. One of 4 machines with Zipper Flippers and a neat point system. I can not wait to dig into that one, Ill officially have a "lineup" of two pins 😎

Thoro-Bred.jpg

That is a super nice lineup! You have some great desirable machines, did you order those Limited Editions or were they picks? I gotta hand it to Stern, they know how to upsell.

I worked on Doozie last Sunday and got all of the switches firing.. she needs a LOT of love. The repaired EM's are going to be sold one day but Doozie was in my dads basement for almost 30 years, since I was 15. That one might be difficult to let go. Still looking for more projects in Michigan. You might see me one day on Pinside (MrVern) but I am laying low as a newbie who still reads a few threads a night.

So addicting!!

I bought the Stranger Things from the friend of a friend on Pinside. Was my first remote transaction and first time I used a shipping company specializing in moving pinballs

The RUSH was a NIB order from Next level near Portland OR. I wanted a LE, but could only secure a Premium. Unlikely I'll ever upgrade since it's my first NIB pin.

All the others are pins I found via friends, Pinside, or Craigslist and conducted the transaction in person at the seller's game room.

Killing time at work after the holiday weekend.. thinking about July 2022 when I brought home by first machine.

Oddly they never made a Gremlins pinball machines, these things multiply fairly quick. I have two more in the garage waiting some repair work before entering the house. (Two Playmatic Solid State machines from Spain, where I am honing my solder work by re-pinning a few dozen connectors)

It's a modest collection but I think I am in it for the long haul. Any new editions will be more modern.

5pins.jpg

Oh man, but where to put one? I wonder if the are OK outside? I have a covered patio.
you probably *could*, but direct sunlight is not their best friend. I once owned on that appeared to have survived a flood - no other way I can think of t=for their to have been that much sand and debris inside the main cab

I would really like to get one for my basement. The machines I see on like Facebook Marketplace are pretty damn expensive and still need work.

Back