Pinapple IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodro

Reaction score
I just finished bottling 2 1/2 gallons of a pineapple IPA. I brewed a citrusy IPA and on bottling day I split the batch in half. I purchased some frozen pineapple juice concentrate and added 2 cups of H2O to it to reconstitute it. Then added it to the beer to my desired taste. I ended up using about 3/4 of the juice in the 2 1/2 gallons of beer. It's not ready to drink yet but when it is I will give a review. Always fun trying new things. Might be an epic fail but hey, it might be a home run as well. That's why I love to brew. The creativity one can do while brewing is a pure joy. Happy brewing :mug:

Adding to taste is a great way to get the desired flavor you want.

Did you account for the sugar being added to the beer from the pineapple juice with your priming sugar measurements, or let the pineapple juice ferment out before bottling?

If not, be careful of overcarbonation (re: bottle bombs). I'd get those bottles into the fridge as soon as you can to prevent them from exploding.

Yes I did adjust the amount of priming sugar used according to the pineapple label sugar content. I was worried about bottle bombs for sure. I love to add flavors to my bottling bucket. I've done it with vanilla in a porter before as well with good results. So many possibilities.

How did this work out? I'm considering adding pineapple to an IPA and I'm debating how. The plan for now is to cut and puree a whole pineapple, strain, and add to secondary before kegging.

I'm concerned about the acidity from the pineapple enhancing the bitterness. How much concentrate did you use? A 16oz can? How did it taste? :mug:

My pineapple IPA turned out much too carbonated. I even reduced the amount of priming sugar used.(Should have used no priming sugar at all.) The taste was decent but a little too acidic for my taste. I think you are on to the right idea by adding the puree to the secondary instead of the bottling bucket like I did.

I'm intrigued by this - maybe make it along the lines of a pineapple shandy?
Anyone have any success with this?

It seems like fresh pineapple chunks (perhaps steeped in vodka a few minutes for sanitation) into the secondary might be a good method to try.

Personal opinion/experience: I am NOT a fan of steeping anything in vodka. I have added watermelon, pumpkin, habaneros, mangos, pears, vanilla beans, coconut, and cherries on several occasions and I have never once had an issue with infection. I've also soaked pumpkin in brandy, habaneros in vodka for a tincture, and cherries in vodka to sanitize and the extra alcohol imparted in the beer was too noticeable and offensive, even in small doses.

I always wash and clean my fruits with a light brillo pad and water before spritzing with starsan, slicing, and pureeing. I find the amount of alcohol and AA% in the beer that has already fermented and my own cleaning procedure staves any infection.

My advice to anyone would to use both methods on the same recipe and decide yourself. But my opinion is based on my experience and I find a better beer made without adding more alcohol.

As for the pineapple, I'll be cleaning one prior to cutting and pureeing. I'll add a recipe and the amount used and let anyone interested know if it's a success or failure.

Back