• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pennsylvania Pin Lock for Ball lock trade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_bran321

Reaction score
Is anyone in the Philadelphia PA area interested in trading a ball lock (you) for a pin lock (me) keg? It's a black sheep for me. Always have to change my connections back and forth and it's a pain.

Is anyone in the Philadelphia PA area interested in trading a ball lock (you) for a pin lock (me) keg? It's a black sheep for me. Always have to change my connections back and forth and it's a pain.
here is a pic. it wouldn't let me. post it originally
1530051749538.jpeg

I was setup for Ball Lock kegs, but came across some Pin Locks that I couldn't pass up. So I swapped out the posts and now they are ball lock kegs. Adventures In Homebrewing (https://www.homebrewing.org) always seemed to have the best price on swapping out the posts.

Good luck with trying to find someone to swap with, but keep this in mind in case you struck out. Cheers!

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the posts weren't interchangeable. That was my original idea. are we sure the threads are the same?

I have seen ballock posts with 3 different thread types available so just a matter of getting the right one. I have old coke kegs with ball locks fitted and the thread is different to the some of my more modern kegs. Close enough you could trash the threads by forcing so be careful and get the right one.

I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the posts weren't interchangeable. That was my original idea. are we sure the threads are the same?

I have used this site to figure out the thread size of my pin lock kegs I have acquired. https://www.cornykeg.com/resources/corny-keg-tips/identify-keg/ Based on your original picture it looks like that keg is a "Firestone/Spartanburg".

I buy the ball lock posts from Adventures in Hombrewing (https://www.homebrewing.org) and have not had any problems. The only other thing I would mention is, usually the pin lock kegs have the automatic PRV (Pressure Release Valve) so you need a tool or a small screw driver to degas the keg through a post. I have bought replacement lids with the manual PRVs (pull style) from AiH, Amazon, and other online retailers (pretty much the best deal at that time). I prefer the manual PRV style lids, but have repurposed the automatic PRV lids by cutting them off, drilling out a hole for a stopper and airlock. This way I can ferment in some of my kegs.

Good luck!

I buy pin lock kegs by the hundred and convert them to ball lock with posts from Adventures in Homebrewing. Just make sure you get the right thread size.

Back