Pilz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbypv

Reaction score
Looking at doing a Pilsner, but I haven't read into it too much. is there anything different about the fermenting stage? I know lagars are temperature sensitive, but are pilz too?

A Pilsner is a lager, and yes, lager fermentation is different than ale fermentation. You say you haven't read into it too much, but you should! If you have any more specific questions it might be easier to help than to have someone re-hash what is already out there for you.

True, I was just throwing a quick question out to see. Was kind of looking for an opinion on them. peoples experience with them. Have you done one?

thanks for the response though.

Pilsners are pretty easy:
as long as your pitching the correct amount of viable yeast cells
your fermentation temps are in control
boil for 90 minutes
do a Diacetyl rest
lager properly

Pilsners are pretty easy:
as long as your pitching the correct amount of viable yeast cells
your fermentation temps are in control
boil for 90 minutes
do a Diacetyl rest
lager properly

+1 and read up first!!!!!

I am about to do my first pilsner and, as noted above, they take special care. I built up a giant starter (like a gallon and a half, which is what you need for a lager), will use RO distilled water with a little calcium chloride and a little acid malt (see here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/brewing-water-chemistry-primer-198460/)

I'll ferment it at a controlled 48 degrees, then lager in the 30s for a month or more. They take special care, but if you plan well and have the equipment for the proper temperature control, it's doable.

Latest posts

Back