Pilsner Urquell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1rubin

Reaction score
All,

Just got back from Prague last week and couldn't get enough of the fresh Pilsner Urquell. Now i've got to make some. Here is the recipe, please let me know what you think:

5 Gallons
8lbs 13oz Pilsner Two Row Malt
1.5oz of Saaz at 60/30/5
WLP 800

I also thought i would try a triple decoction for the first time. This may be too simplistic.

Thanks

Hi j1rubin

I suggest you to increase amount of Saaz addition for 60 min boil ( with 3,5% alpha acid ) to 60 grams (2.12 ounces) or even more. Dont use triple decoction because you can have foam problem in your beer. I would use enhanced double decoction.

I've read that essential part in this recipe is using soft water, but you surely know it ;)

Cheers :mug:

Hi j1rubin

I suggest you to increase amount of Saaz addition for 60 min boil ( with 3,5% alpha acid ) to 60 grams (2.12 ounces) or even more. Dont use triple decoction because you can have foam problem in your beer. I would use enhanced double decoction.

I've read that essential part in this recipe is using soft water, but you surely know it ;)

Cheers :mug:

Thanks Slotish - i'm going to try to "build" the water using the formula's in brewsmith to create it from distilled water. Still haven't figured that part out yet...will have to search the boards

Thanks Slotish - i'm going to try to "build" the water using the formula's in brewsmith to create it from distilled water. Still haven't figured that part out yet...will have to search the boards

If you are using distilled water as a base just add Calcium Chloride to get your Ca+ ppm up to 60-75ppm. Keep it simple, just like the recipe.

If you are using distilled water as a base just add Calcium Chloride to get your Ca+ ppm up to 60-75ppm. Keep it simple, just like the recipe.

thanks Big Ed - not sure exactly how to do that? I'm assuming i can buy this at my lhbs? Do i add it to the mash? If so, do i need to add it to the entire water volume?

Thanks

Read the water primer in the science section, if you have a gram scale you can use this as a good guideline. The main idea is to use very soft water (either distilled or reverse osmosis filtered) with low sulfate and then lower the pH using either acid malt or phosphoric acid. Then add back enough calcium for yeast health and mash efficiency.
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Various_water_recipes#Pilsner_water

Maybe 10ppm Mg too? Picked up some PU the other day. Am I wrong or has the label changed? Has it always been 4.2%v/v? Thought it was closer to 5%v/v.

Maybe 10ppm Mg too? Picked up some PU the other day. Am I wrong or has the label changed? Has it always been 4.2%v/v? Thought it was closer to 5%v/v.

thanks - i'm not sure about the abv. what i can tell you is that it tasted very different than the bottles here, much fresher.

I was gonna say its a bohemian pilsner which wouldnt just be all pilsner, i just made my first lager bohemian style, but with s-23. I just had that pilsner urquell for the first time and its pretty good hopefully mine turns out like that, but the sample tasted pretty German turning out really nice though.

Back