Pilot burner tubing plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
I am trying to work out all the connections for plumbing my single-tier sculpture - but I've run into a snag with the pilot burner tubing. So the pilot light itself has a 1/4" fitting and that side makes complete sense. The other since I want to plumb directly into a needle valve.

I bought the Baso 1/4" aluminum tubing that comes with the 1/4" 'cc' fittings. That is, they are 1/4" breakaway nut and ferrule. I have no idea how to get that into a 1/4" FPT that would be the outlet from the needle valve. I went to Lowes and played around for a half hour trying to figure out what that thing would screw into but had no luck.

Can anyone help? Please!! Thanks in advance.

I am trying to work out all the connections for plumbing my single-tier sculpture - but I've run into a snag with the pilot burner tubing. So the pilot light itself has a 1/4" fitting and that side makes complete sense. The other since I want to plumb directly into a needle valve.

I bought the Baso 1/4" aluminum tubing that comes with the 1/4" 'cc' fittings. That is, they are 1/4" breakaway nut and ferrule. I have no idea how to get that into a 1/4" FPT that would be the outlet from the needle valve. I went to Lowes and played around for a half hour trying to figure out what that thing would screw into but had no luck.

Can anyone help? Please!! Thanks in advance.

Jcaudill you can get a needle valve that is designed for compression fittings instead of trying to get the tubing to go onto female pipe threads.

A lot of us run into the same issue on flare gas fittings on the burners and wanting to attach black iron pipe or flex pipe that uses normal pipe threads instead of compression fittings with copper tubing. You can buy an adapter to attach a flare fitting to go onto a male or female pipe thread like for a gas washer or dryer in your home, but I don't know if I would go from compression to pipe thread and trust it for gas. Maybey I would trust it for water but I don't know about using it for gas.

Here is a link for a needle valve for compression. They also have great prices on other valves.

http://www.discovervalve.com/101068/needle_valve_6k_ss.html

Here is another site that has hard to find fittings, especially flare to pipe thread:

http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/Flare.html

I am no way an expert but I hope this helps you out.

John

What I seem to need is a 1/4" female compression to 1/4" npt (i could care less if it's male or female). I am having 0 luck finding that!

What I seem to need is a 1/4" female compression to 1/4" npt (i could care less if it's male or female). I am having 0 luck finding that!

Read this link and look at the photos.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/pilot-tubing-fitting-question-162585/

Is this basically the same valve you are using? You may want to plumb it with copper pipe and use a fitting that has a 1/4 inch female flare compression on one end to a 1/4 inch normal pipe thread fitting on the other. Here is a link to that fitting:

http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/Flare.html

The fitting you want to look at is near the bottom right side and is model number 66UFHD-4-4 (1/4 female flare to 1/4 male pipe thread). You will need two of them, one for each side of the needle valve, and the male npt thread side would attach to the needle valve openings, if the needle valve openings are female npt.

If this is not what you are looking for maybe you could post a pic of the items you have and someone on this forum will get you the right answer. If I saw a picture I also may be able to help you locate the right fitting if I understood better what you need. I will check back later to see if this answered your question or not.

John

Correction, the correct number for the fitting at the bottom right side of the page that I was referring to should read 664FHD-4-4.

Hey John,

Right I saw that thread - and yes it's the same Baso tubing with the brass breakaway ferrule fittings. I learned today those fittings are made to be threaded into plastic and so I'm not going to find any fittings that work with those. It's not a flare fitting, for reference purposes only - it's a 1/4" compression fitting. So instead, I'll be using one of the Watts 1/4" tubing to 1/4" MPT adapters and that will do the trick.

Thanks for the help!

Excellent, without a photo I was not sure exactly what you had. I'm glad you were able to figure out what you needed to make it work.

Good luck on your build!

John

Back