PID Thermocouple showing 5-6 degrees less

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewjunky

Reaction score
I have an Auber Instrumements PID on my Herms system. I am having what I think is a possible issue with the temp reading the probe it displaying.

I have a mechanical dial thermometer on my HLT and I also used a small digital thermometer and both are showing 5-6 degrees higher then the PID is showing.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had these issues. If I set the PID for 154 its shows 154 on the PID and my reading on the output of the herms coil is 160 with my other thermometer which seems to be accurate.

I have the PID set to Automatic as well. My thermocouple is at the output of the herms coil as well

i don't think an RTD will solve the problem. i think it's just a quality control issue. i ordered 2 rtd's for my system (HLT and herms loop). HLT is spot on, the other was 9 degrees off at mash temps. strangely enough, they all read ice water exactly the same. to be sure it wasn't the PID, i switched RTD's (those detachable connectors are really handy).

what i did was change the Pb parameter on the PID so that it was reading mash temps correctly. problem solved.

p.d.

It's in the manual.

I have 3 Auber PIDs and 3 of their RTD's and dependiong what combo of PID/RTD I use they all read slightly differently (within 2-4 degrees F of each other). So you adjust the offset in the PID to compensate.

Kal

Ok found it its in the menu or settings. I guess Since its reading 6 degrees lower then it should be I will go to +6 on the PB parameter. I'll try that out thanks allot. Im going to get on of those RTDs after they seems really handy for cleaning the HLt

Problem is when I bought the PID it did not come with a manual?

i know you probably fixed it already, but auber has all the manuals on their website in case you ever need or lose a copy. just go to the product page for whatever PID model you have, and there will be a link for a PDF file.

p.d.

Back