PID manual mode?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
I noticed that some people are posting that they got the wrong PID, doesn't have manual mode, what is manual mode used for? Don't you just set the temp and let the PID do the rest? Guessing it's to override the set temp? Just curious as I'm looking at PIDs.

Manual mode allows you to bypass the automatic control of the output of the controller. In auto mode, the controller adjusts the output to maintain the process variable at the desired set point.

In manual mode, you adjust the output percentage and the controller ignores the set point. This is typically used to manually control the element power of the boil element.

So if I am using the controller for just to bring my water up to mash temps, then using it for boiling I'd need a PID with a manual setting?

You should use the auto mode when maintaining a temp less than boiling. If you want to maintain say 152 degrees, you set the controller to auto and use 152 as the set point.

If you want to boil, you have to set the controller to manual and adjust the output percentage to a value that maintains a good boil. It's hard to keep a good boil running in auto mode because once a liquid reaches boiling, it doesn't get any hotter and the controller has a hard time adjusting the output properly.

Yes, I believe the Mypin "TD" series controllers have a manual mode while the "TA" series does not.

Only used mine once so far but yes the 2352(same as mine) has manual.I used the manual function during the boil.Worked out very well

If your concidering the 2352 is not difficult. I added a switch to kill the element for that very reason thinking I could turn off the element If I had trouble setting it and prevent a boilover.I don't see myself ever using the switch.

If your concidering the 2352 is not difficult. I added a switch to kill the element for that very reason thinking I could turn off the element If I had trouble setting it and prevent a boilover.I don't see myself ever using the switch.

Not sure yet which I'm leaning towards. The 2352 is a bit more but from what I'm reading easier to maintain?

I read somewhere here that someone took the aubrins apart and it was a jumbled mess of cheap china parts.He didn't seem to think it was any more quatily than the cheaper pid's.the nice things about the aubins is if you need help with something just give them a call and someone picks up on the third ring ad gets you on your way.

I agree that aubins has great customer service. Also, many people on HBT are using them, so you have another source to ask questions.

That being said, I went with some used Cal Controls that I purchased on ebay. I haven't used them for anything more that a thermometer (build stalled, so it is connected to the temp probe and nothing else), so I can't give a strong opinion.

Back