Picture of my infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivzavod

Reaction score
So I think it finally happened and I had my first infection. I ran into some problems with Chi company kegs and had beers sitting a little longer then I wanted. I opened one today and here is what I see. This is a French Petite Saison recipe using Wyeast 3711.

It smells a little sour but you still can smell sweetness from the beer. I think I will scoop up the white particles and try it. I can keg it and if its still crappy after carbonated I can always dump it. What do you think?

sc8ktx.jpg

I just scooped up the white stuff, tried a little bit and it doesnt have have any distinct sourness, tastes more like a Saison.

I am kegging it!!! Especially now with Revvy on board ;)

I've had yeasts that have looked exactly like that and the beer was fine. That's just krausen curdles.

+1 to saisons smelling sour.

When I initially opened my bucket I had a sour sniff and closer it smells more like a Saison. The abundance of white particles was what arose my suspicions. I think I've had little white specks but never this much.

I'm no expert, but it looks like lacto that's been broken up to me. Was there a white, chalky ring around the perimeter of the bucket with the krausen ring?

I'm no expert, but it looks like lacto that's been broken up to me. Was there a white, chalky ring around the perimeter of the bucket with the krausen ring?

Yes there was a creamy white krausen stripe mixed with the usual poop / vomit color stain.

I've had a nearly identical layer of stuff on top of a beer before. Racked it, bottled it and it turned out fine. Mine wasn't an infection. Maybe yours isn't, either. Have faith!

I've had a nearly identical layer of stuff on top of a beer before. Racked it, bottled it and it turned out fine. Mine wasn't an infection. Maybe yours isn't, either. Have faith!

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from...I've seen several beers with that flat shaped gunk on the surface. If I recall nottingham tends to make krausen curdels that look like that. l stick with the beer being fine.

I'm glad to have found this post. I have seen this on a few of my belgian ales. Really covered on a strong dark and wit, and just now on a saison.

On a related note, has anyone ever tried pasteurizing a beer that they thought might be slightly infected and then repiched yeast? Does that work for a beer who's flavors have not yet gone by the wayside due to infection, but still harbor unwanted bacteria?

Searched this thread due to an infection concern when growing out some 3711 i picked up from the LHBS. I am growing out 3 different yeasts and this was the only one that showed the "crud" in question in this discussion.

I have been playing around with bacterias over the past year or so. While theoretically possible to have cross contamination issues, I think it rather unlikely due to the fact that I used no siphoning equipment and the same cleaning/sanitization regiment on all the 1 gallon carboys.

The 3711 is from thiriez, no? A quick search of beer reviews from this brewery shows that all their farmhouse/saison's are overcarbed exploders if there is any question of bottle age. Also, everyone seems to be getting drastic attenuation and FG's below 1.004 are not uncommon when using 3711. There was also, in my reading, a few mentions of "dried yeast and crud" in the neck of the bottle. Also, lots of hints to brett characteristics in the descriptions. The wyeast website also states "this strain leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel in a very dry finished beer. " Something that, in my experience reminds me of beer with some pedio that hasnt run it's course. Sounds like a secondary fermentation to me of the bacterial nature.

I really don't know what I'm talking about, I just read too much. From what I gather, I'm more excited to use the 3711 if its got some good aging qualities or hell, even if i funked it up on accident, I'm excited.

The kind of floaties I got in my picture was not an infection. I had it a few times off 3711 and beer came out perfect. In fact 3711 is one of the most talked about yeast strains on HBT. Since it became year round strain there was nothing but praises from everyone, myself included. Its a beast of a yeast which tolerates hight temps, very quick and gets down OG like nobody's business. From commercial examples versus 3711 table saisons I've made I prefer mine over majority of commercial examples. In my opinion saisons should stay true to the original style and be low in alcohol. 2 more brews before I start using 3711 for the summer. I plan to do at least 2 table saisons, 1 black, 1 rye so far.

I doubt it has any brett or pedio. Wyeast is one of the two biggest yeast companies and would mention it if there was any.

Latest posts

Back