Pics of your all grain setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I'm going to all grain. I'm Starting to buy the equipment now. I'd love to see everyone's setup whether it's pro equipment in your brew shed or the most redneck setup imaginable in your garage. Don't be shy lets see it!!

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone.

I will not disgrace myself by posting pictures of it, but my three-tier brewing "rig" consists of:

A HLT consisting of a 10-gallon cooler sitting on top of another (empty) 10-gallon cooler straddled across two bar stools

A 10-gallon mash tun (SS pot with false bottom) sitting on an inverted 5-gallon bucket & loosely wrapped in a dirty, oil-stained blanket I stole out of my dad's garage 25 years ago

A plain ol' aluminum boil kettle that just sits on the floor.

Rednecky enough for you? :)

This is my humble setup. I've stepped up to a 20 gallon kettle and use a 10 gallon Home Depot cooler.
Does this help? It's pretty Ghetto...

AG Setup.jpg

This is my humble setup. I've stepped up to a 20 gallon kettle and use a 10 gallon Home Depot cooler.

Can I ask why the 20 gallon? What size batches are you brewing?

I will not disgrace myself by posting pictures of it, but my three-tier brewing "rig" consists of:

A HLT consisting of a 10-gallon cooler sitting on top of another (empty) 10-gallon cooler straddled across two bar stools

A 10-gallon mash tun (SS pot with false bottom) sitting on an inverted 5-gallon bucket & loosely wrapped in a dirty, oil-stained blanket I stole out of my dad's garage 25 years ago

A plain ol' aluminum boil kettle that just sits on the floor.

Rednecky enough for you? :)

So, couple of questions then. You must be heating sparge water separate, do you lose much temperature when you dump it into the cooler? How big is your brew pot? Also, I thought aluminum was a no no?

Looks like an aluminum kettle, is that a no no?

I started on aluminum and made some good beer with it in my green house. Now I got 100 amp service and water in there.
Now I just need to buy a TV because I also ran cable too!

1411607611988.jpg

I started on aluminum and made some good beer with it in my green house. Now I got 100 amp service and water in there.
Now I just need to buy a TV because I also ran cable too!

I see a lot of guys using kegs, those are aluminum right? Then what's the fuss over stainless? Are there off flavors from aluminum? Or is it a Ford v. Chevy argument?

Original system, with a 10 gallon igloo cooler and my pots on the stove:
4189-dscf0085-12008.jpg

My intermediate indoor electric system:
dscf2210-36912.jpg

And current system:
dscn0313-56565.jpg

They all made good beer! The "better" system isn't any better for making beer than the hobbled together system, except it's easier on my back with the pumps and the tippy dump!

Easy access to top tier. Cost me one nice burner with legs. (Some lifting required.)

Edit: Picture now includes dog.

IMG_0862.jpg

30-gallon stout kettles e-herms with 4-element bcs control panel. I don't like the stand. I'm going to make a new one this winter. I threw this one together in a hurry and didn't think it out all the way. Still need to add a mount for the charcoal filter and HEX.

My set up when not in use bayou classic burner and 11 gallon kettle and 13 gallon MLTImageUploadedByHome Brew1411617881.105712.jpg

--------------------------------------

Where do you place your probe?

I've only been all-grain for 2 years and haven't had a lot of money to throw into a fancy system. Been slowly upgrading, including ferm chamber and a designated beer fridge. I have big dreams for my future system, but for now this is where my beer comes from.
aWU9H6p.jpg

hYwOj8X.jpg

All keggles - From left to right: BK, MLT, and HLT. Rims tube in the center down low, and a trub strainer to the far left with a Duda plate chiller in between. 50a panel of my own design with a BK sub panel.

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

30-gallon stout kettles e-herms with 4-element bcs control panel. I don't like the stand. I'm going to make a new one this winter. I threw this one together in a hurry and didn't think it out all the way. Still need to add a mount for the charcoal filter and HEX.

Love me some Stouts... My next upgrade...

15 gal keggles, 50q pot, & 19gal pot (2nd 19gal pot not in picture)...and ghetto wind blocker

file.php

file.php

new 100q tun and 47q tuns

file.php

file.php

I see a lot of guys using kegs, those are aluminum right? Then what's the fuss over stainless? Are there off flavors from aluminum? Or is it a Ford v. Chevy argument?

Kegs are stainless.

Lots of people use aluminum kettles, and I used to until I got the keg which is bigger.

IMG_65663062855728_zps85c41420.jpeg

20140913_142241_zpsbd368ce7.jpg

20140817_120446_zps7f6f5e15.jpg

IMG_65650567590993_zps2c66b2bc.jpeg

Have a friend I joint brew with. My setup is a blichmann burner, keggle, March pump, and a 48 qt mash. My buddy just upgraded to a three keg setup and a home made stand.

It's been 7 1/2 years of constant change.

Started inside with a Mr Beer.

Moved outside using a turkey fryer set-up.

Tweaked the kitchen stove so that I could do 10 gallon boils and moved back inside.

Went low-tech electric and moved to the other side of the kitchen.

Most recent upgrade is a port in the boil kettle for whirlpooling.

Brewday140629-5.jpg

whirlpool_05.jpg

I mash in the kitchen to save some propane, plus I haven't built a stand yet. Drain into a pot and dump in my keggle on the banjo burner outside. The keggle pic is from my old duplex. Plan on using the small shed in the last pic to brew in as soon as I get some money together to build a stand.

1411738932361.jpg

1411739040679.jpg

1411739058473.jpg

1411739275936.jpg

So, couple of questions then. You must be heating sparge water separate, do you lose much temperature when you dump it into the cooler? How big is your brew pot? Also, I thought aluminum was a no no?

Yes, I heat my sparge water while the mash is going on and dump it in the cooler. One of these days I'll remember to measure it. I heat to about 175 and I figure whatever it ends up on will be good enough.

Aluminum is fine as long as you treat it right - but you'll find plenty of discussion on both sides. Based on the scraps of science I could pull out of those discussions, aluminum is IMO a better choice than not brewing at all.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411818359.290551.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1411818426.155516.jpg

1/4 keg batch of hefeweizen boiling that I cooler batch sparged this morning.

Overall view of the basement E-brewery / kettle collection. 2 2000 w heat sticks on 20 amp gfi circuits allow heating or boiling in assorted vessels. Window fan behind kettle to vent steam.

I keep it pretty simple, either batch sparging with a cooler MT, or BIAB.
Cheers!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Back