Pics and Slight Blog of my Ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curbdawg

Reaction score
I just wanted to start and thank everyone on this site who has answered all my newbie questions. Cheers to everyone.:mug: So I'm doing 2 6gallon carboys with fresh pressed cider from my local orchard. It can be had for $3.70 a gallon un-treated. They pastuerize(treat) their cider using UV rays, no additives. So I guess either way would be good seeing that I did kill off the "nastys" using camden tablets.

So Jug #1, I used White Labs Belgian (wlp550) yeast w/ yeast nutrients. About 3lbs of light brown sugar which brought my OG to 1.066.

Jug #2, I used White Labs Hefeweizen IV (wlp380) yeast w. yeast nutrients. Same amount of sugar same OG.

The Belgian took off the next day, room temps between 70-75. Boiled over hard for 2 days then turned to an airy light foam. I then decided to bung and airlock it, moved it to a different area which temps are between 65-70.

The Hefeweizen was a slow starter. It took 2 days untill it started to create its dark brown mushroom on top. I let it go and boil over for 2 more days, not as heavy of a foam as the Belgian but still very active. That has now been bunged and airlocked and moved.

My wife is not to happy with me for the smells these carboys have been given off the last couple days, but she is however understanding of my excitement:ban:

S4301707.jpg

S4301709.jpg

Back