Picobrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
Argh, really, an espresso machine for homebrewers. Add ingredients, push a button and forget. Come back three hours later and you have wort in a keg.

NO.

I happen to enjoy all the time and trials I have put into my brews. Even during the coldest winter, I can count on friends to show up for a brew day. At some point, automation takes the fun and art out of the entire hobby.

http://www.picobrew.com/default.cshtml

This is also how I feel about automated electric setups with 5 pumps. Even biab is too close to Duncan Hines instant brownie mix for me. Don't get me started on extract...

You know, if you lived in an apartment, that is something that would be pretty useful. You can still formulate your own recipes. Plus you could still experiment with different grain crushes.
Don't get me wrong, I personally enjoy the art and trials and tribulations of my DIY setup, but if I was limited in space and had lots of $$ I would certainly investigate this further. 2.5 gallons is a limitation though.

of course to be honest, now that I think of it, if I lived in an apartment and wanted to do 2.5 gallon batches, I would just do BIAB for a 1/25 of the price of one of those units.
Still, can't fault someone for having a neat idea

Even biab is too close to Duncan Hines instant brownie mix for me. Don't get me started on extract...

What's that even supposed to mean? Nothing about BIAB is any less "all-grain" than three vessel brewing. If you make soup and transfer it between different pots while you're making it, does that make you a more legitimate chef than the guy whose soup is made in a single pot?

As for extract, sure, it's an easier brewday and gives you less control than all-grain or even partial-mash brewing, but if people want to make great beer without all the time and equipment invested in all-grain brewing, more power to 'em.

Now pre-hopped extract... ;) To each his own, I guess.

This is also how I feel about automated electric setups with 5 pumps. Even biab is too close to Duncan Hines instant brownie mix for me. Don't get me started on extract...

Exactly...like, if your not growing your own grains, malting them yourself, can you really even call it homebrew? And don't get me started on people that don't use harvested wild yeast

Exactly...like, if your not growing your own grains, malting them yourself, can you really even call it homebrew? And don't get me started on people that don't use harvested wild yeast

Growing your own grain is fine, I guess, but did you buy the seeds somewhere?

Growing your own grain is fine, I guess, but did you buy the seeds somewhere?

That comment was in jest. I was just pointing out how strange comments like New Jersey's are. That we can someone how say this is homebrewing, that is not. BIAB is too "kit-like" or other nonsense. If you make beer in your home...you are homebrewing.

I like the idea and if I had the money with nothing else to do with it I would get one.

It wouldn't replace my single tier three keggle system but it would be a welcome addition to my brewing equipment.

I do wish I could just put all my gear in the dishwasher at the end of the brew day.

Frankly, I don't see the philosophical difference between the Picobrew and the uber-fancy, fully automated electric HERMS and RIMS systems I see some people using here. They're all just different ways to skin the cat. I enjoy doing BIAB over a propane burner on the patio, but I live in SoCal. If I was back in Michigan I'd probably have a different opinion this time of year.

That comment was in jest. I was just pointing out how strange comments like New Jersey's are. That we can someone how say this is homebrewing, that is not. BIAB is too "kit-like" or other nonsense. If you make beer in your home...you are homebrewing.

Mine was in jest, too. I agree. I even think extract is still good. It's less flexible and more expensive, but still.

I really don't get the distinction between all grain and BIAB. "All-grain" refers to ingredients; BIAB refers to process. You can do all grain in a cooler, in a pot with a false bottom, a bag, a kettle screen, or pouring it through a strainer.

I guess I actually think that the fully automated systems are less "home" brew than more manual systems. I mean the 20 gallon pots and pumps and all that.

It was only a matter of time for something like this to have been done. There have been a few of these that have come out for massive bucks. I'm pretty impressed with this. Well thought out from start to finish.

Obviously, the process is part of why we enjoy homebrewing. That's why I like that they also played more than the "you can make beer, dude" card. Marketing it as a hands-off way to dial-in a recipe for pro breweries is pretty ingenious.

From a slightly different perspective, this seems like a good (albeit expensive) tool for novice brewers to learn on...and for the record, I'm novice. :)

Seems like an opportunity to experiment with grain bills, learn temp controls in mash and boil, and play with hop profiles without killing all your time and space. You can fail fast and learn, and then respond quickly with an altered batch. Seems like an efficient way to play with yeast as well. Multiple 2.5 gallon batches of the same beer with different yeasts would be a great hands on way to understand it. I suppose that's why they're pitching it (pun intended) to big brewers to run test batches on. Just think it could work for the homebrewer as well.

Hopefully, you'd eventually be stepping up to a more labor and skill intensive method. But an interesting intermediate step.

$1800 is a lot of money, but as I'm shopping around for all-grain setup, well, I quickly racked up $3000 in the cart at about 2/3rds of the equipment I'd like to have/upgrade to.

I think it's a better tool for small breweries than for homebrewers. Being able to bump out multiple tiny batch recipes while working on other tasks would be really useful. Trying out a new grain or hop, new yeast strain, etc, without nearly the same amount of work/time commitment as even a little 10g sabco.

Man... and here I thought I was a homebrewer up until today.

I'm dumping my extract batches. Guess I need to go get some more equipment.

I think it is an impressive feat of engineering and design. That said, I prefer to be a little more involved in the process. I do plan to have a controlled system someday, but I like to add my hops, prepare my strike water, etc.

It was only a matter of time for something like this to have been done. There have been a few of these that have come out for massive bucks. I'm pretty impressed with this. Well thought out from start to finish.

Obviously, the process is part of why we enjoy homebrewing. That's why I like that they also played more than the "you can make beer, dude" card. Marketing it as a hands-off way to dial-in a recipe for pro breweries is pretty ingenious.
The part of the process that I enjoy most is connect the line to the keg, hold the glass under the tap and pull the tap towards you. Then quaff!

Seriously though, brewing is still fun because it is so easy. And the 2.5 gal batches mean you can try different kinds of beer quickly.

Latest posts

Back