PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to give @Mike Howard a shout out and HUGE thanks for the Hex Loop refill instructions. I finally went thru and spent the time to refill my hex loop... took about 8 oz of Glycol! Got the first full regular cleaning cycle thru the thing in about 2 years. I had brewed on it for only one trouble filled session, then couldn't get a cleaning cycle to complete without a FE #1. Thru moves, and busy schedule, and a determination to brew when in the brewery, and not tinker with equipment it took that long.

I have not set a definitive price yet, but I'm thinking of offering it in multiple ways:

1. Complete turnkey for those not electronically/mechanically inclined. Complete board, Raspberry Pi, pre-loaded with software, pre-configured and fully tested on my test Zymatic. Only minor mods to the configuration will need to be made. $$$$$*

2. Complete board, fully tested. You provide the Raspberry Pi and install the software yourself. $$$$*

3. Bare board with components, you solder them on. Provide your own RPi, etc... $$

4. Bare board, no components. You purchase components separately and solder them on. Provide your own RPi, etc... $

Eventually I want this all on github and open source. Folks can download the source files, build their own boards, modify the code, etc... The only money I'm trying to procure is to cover the development costs of the board.

* I'm only one guy with a full time job, so building boards, testing and getting them sent out, could be on a long delay.

That sounds amazing, once again thanks for your work! :D

Do you have any idea when you fell comfortable releasing your work?
I personally would be happy about version 3 or 4 to minimise your work load.
Or even 5: Just the schematics.

Putting everything open source would be amazing and would enable other Devs to help out with the codebase and testing.
And issue tracker and wiki so the problems and the knowledge is not spread out across multiple monster threads in this forum.

And I think nobody would resent you charging a bit of a markup on the hardware. ^^

Quick question. Is it possible to remove the rubber plug in the step filter? If so, how? Looks like there is a build up of trub on mine that I'd like to clean off, and there is a crack on the underside of the step filter there I'd like to inspect before I attempt to repair.

@Mike Howard Would you be so kind as to share your glycol refill instructions? I picked up a "new" machine and I believe the glycol loop is angry. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the pumps?

@Mike Howard Would you be so kind as to share your glycol refill instructions? I picked up a "new" machine and I believe the glycol loop is angry. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and replace the pumps?

I PM'd you about the glycol refill instructions.

As for the pumps, you probably don't need to replace them. I'd get the glycol refilled and then do several cleaning runs. Might also be worth doing a deep clean with PBW (being careful not to let the PBW touch your step filter).

If the machine has sat for awhile the HEX probably needs a good PBW soak and while you are in there if the hoses look really bad, it might be time to replace them.

@Trevor Mack Do you have any experience running the picobrew_pico as a container? I pulled down the Unraid container and was able to access the web UI but never was able to get the Zy to connect.

Last fall I bought a used Zymatic, which I subsequently refurbished with a super-thorough cleaning, new internal hoses, a new pump, step filter crack repair with Weld-On 3, and a glycol top up. I liked it enough to buy a second step filter, which unfortunately was cracked to a similar degree, but now repaired. Then, a brand new Z1 became available and I pounced on it. Although I suspect that its pinch valve may eventually prove problematic, I decided to standardize on the Z and bought a Z2. With three Zs, I no longer need my Zymatic. I wish only to recover most of what I put into the Zymatic, even though the buyer will greatly benefit from my hours of labor and also the assistance I received from the PicoBrew community, like Mike Howard, Trevor Mack, Ender Wiggin, Justin Hart, and others.

I have listed it on the For Sale forum here: Picobrew Zymatic

Mike,

I am new to this forum. I have found this thread to be most enlightening as I have been a Zymatic owner for a number of years now. As others have experienced, FE#1 is frustrating. I have been preheating my water prior to brewing which gets me through the single step infusion mash, but still having issues when raising temps in a multi-brew mash. If you would please send me your instructions for the glycol refill, it would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!

I noticed that the instructions for glycol top-up were recently uploaded to the Files section of the Picobrewers group on Facebook, but now I don't see it for some reason. I have a copy, but I think the author, Mike Howard, prefers to send them out himself, perhaps to establish a line of communication in case of questions.

Last edited:
I noticed that the instructions for glycol top-up were recently uploaded to the Files section of the Picobrewers group on Facebook, but now I don't see it for some reason. I have a copy, but I think the author, Mike Howard, prefers to send them out himself, perhaps to establish a line of communication in case of questions.

Think it is more to communicate and set expectations at the skill level of the recipient, vs having people get hurt or break their machines more by not actually reading the instructions fully. Though Mike may have other reasons as well, just make sure to unplug the machine before opening it up and "poking" or "proding" around things you may not understand.

I know this isn't going to have an "active" zymatic profile, but hey a Zy is basically a Z (or rather the other way around).

Anyways I've deployed a dev pipeline for my fixes and updates purposed to BrewCrafter at crafter.pilotbatchbrewing.com feel free to give this "alpha/beta preview" a spin. No clue when these new features (PicoFree / PicoPak recipe, and newly fixed email integration) will get merged into the "official beta crafter" experience.

I had the file removed, for the reasons Trevor quoted, and to be personally involved with anyone needing the procedure. I am more than willing to send it to anyone who needs it, except some of those jacks at the now defunct PB (they know who they are).

I had the file removed, for the reasons Trevor quoted, and to be personally involved with anyone needing the procedure. I am more than willing to send it to anyone who needs it, except some of those jacks at the now defunct PB (they know who they are).

Hi Mike, I'm also a zymatic user and getting the dreaded error #1. It's circulating fine but suspect it may need some refurbishing. Any chance you could share the procedure with me as well? Thanks much.

Mike - I am having issues with overheat and would be interested in getting the refill instructions as well. My Z's are getting tired - 50 brews each now and need a tune up. Trying to brew 8 kegs for my friends wedding and on Keg 5 and running into overheats.

On initial start it states heat sensor fault. When on circulate setting board shows 72f, wort 69f, heat is 1f. But only board heat rises.
On rinsev3 it goes 14 sec then error code 81

On initial start it states heat sensor fault. When on circulate setting board shows 72f, wort 69f, heat is 1f. But only board heat rises.
On rinsev3 it goes 14 sec then error code 81

A temp of 1F is a DS18B20 sensor fault...could be erroneous.

Not sure off hand what Error 81 is I'd have to check my notes and they are at home.

Is this a Zymatic? or some other verison?

A temp of 1F is a DS18B20 sensor fault...could be erroneous.

Not sure off hand what Error 81 is I'd have to check my notes and they are at home.

Is this a Zymatic? or some other verison?
This is the zymatic.
Ht1 sensor also states nothing is there.

This is the zymatic.
Ht1 sensor also states nothing is there.

That could be a sensor issue or board issue. Not a total loss if it is, but you'll have to wait to get it fixed until I have time to get testing completed on a replacement board I developed.

Maybe break the machine down and top off the glycol. Not that it will fix the issue, but it'll give you a chance to see the internals in case items need repaired/replaced.

A big shout out to Mike Howard and MemphisBrews for their detailed instruction on not only how to refill the HEX loop, but to also install the catch can to make this easier in the future. It took me several weeks to gather all the parts, understand the process and meticulously perform the tasks.

I bought my Zymatic used and I don't think the previous owner cleaned it very well after his brews, so I noticed all the hoses in the bottom of the Zymatic were dark and crusty, so I took the opportunity to replace all those hoses, too.

To insulate the catch can, I found a beer can koozy thin enough to fit in the space. It worked out great. Then, as MemphisBrews recommended, I installed the 90 degree fitting going to the catch can.

I am sharing some pictures of my project for those to see and learn from and if there is ever a time I can assist, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am far from the expert on this, but know have intimate knowledge of the internal workings of the Zymatic.

Oh, and just to confirm that after the project, the Zymatic was heating just fine and no more Fatal Error 1.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20210808_134642.jpg
    20210808_134642.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210808_134618.jpg
    20210808_134618.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210808_134552.jpg
    20210808_134552.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210808_134543.jpg
    20210808_134543.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210808_134536.jpg
    20210808_134536.jpg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210808_134513.jpg
    20210808_134513.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20210808_134436.jpg
    20210808_134436.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 33
A big shout out to Mike Howard and MemphisBrews for their detailed instruction on not only how to refill the HEX loop, but to also install the catch can to make this easier in the future. It took me several weeks to gather all the parts, understand the process and meticulously perform the tasks.

I bought my Zymatic used and I don't think the previous owner cleaned it very well after his brews, so I noticed all the hoses in the bottom of the Zymatic were dark and crusty, so I took the opportunity to replace all those hoses, too.

To insulate the catch can, I found a beer can koozy thin enough to fit in the space. It worked out great. Then, as MemphisBrews recommended, I installed the 90 degree fitting going to the catch can.

I am sharing some pictures of my project for those to see and learn from and if there is ever a time I can assist, please don't hesitate to contact me. I am far from the expert on this, but know have intimate knowledge of the internal workings of the Zymatic.

Oh, and just to confirm that after the project, the Zymatic was heating just fine and no more Fatal Error 1.

Cheers!

Glad I could be of help and I am happy you are back to brewing.

Cheers!
Your set up looks great but what is the catch can for?

Your set up looks great but what is the catch can for?

It provides an area where the air in the glycol can concentrate prior to entering the glycol pump. Improves the flow and reduces cavitation. It also gives you a place where you can refill the glycol without opening up the lower unit.

It provides an area where the air in the glycol can concentrate prior to entering the glycol pump. Improves the flow and reduces cavitation. It also gives you a place where you can refill the glycol without opening up the lower unit.
Hate to keep bugging but do you guys have any instructions on how to do that?

Hate to keep bugging but do you guys have any instructions on how to do that?

I don't have any written instructions like I do for the Glycol refill, however, if you scroll back a few pages in this thread, there is a good set of pictures and discussion, along with a diagram I posted, about adding a reservoir into your system.

We have not settled on a written procedure yet, because I think we are still in the "what is the best method" phase. Several different implementations out there and we need more time to determine which way everyone else should go.

Hi, guys! Im Ryan from Califormia. I recently acquired a used Z with v1.1.9 firmware version still. Tried to flash it with picoflash but no luck. Also noticed a fault warning " stepper something....??? I could not pull out the step filter from the machine. Once I turn it on, it makes a sound likes an electric razor. Tried to add the product number to my account but PB website says error. I hope I can revive this so I can brew my own at home. Thanks in advance!

Hi, guys! Im Ryan from Califormia. I recently acquired a used Z with v1.1.9 firmware version still. Tried to flash it with picoflash but no luck. Also noticed a fault warning " stepper something....??? I could not pull out the step filter from the machine. Once I turn it on, it makes a sound likes an electric razor. Tried to add the product number to my account but PB website says error. I hope I can revive this so I can brew my own at home. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you need to convert to the Raspberry Pi server...Picobrew online is dead. There is a good amount of info in this facebook group.

Picobrewers

Also @Trevor Mack should be able to point you in the right direction.

I recently acquired a used Z with v1.1.9 firmware version still.

Actually that is a Zymatic and not a Z. Firmware can only be flashed via the program from Picobrew and isn't pulled or loaded over the http(s) connection to Picobrew.com

Tried to add the product number to my account but PB website says error.

Yes this is due to the machine being registered already. There is an email you can request a deregistration via, but given the state of Picobrew these days it could take 6mo or more to get a response. As @Mike Howard states it would be easier at this point to go the RaspberryPi route as many of us have already done.

Hello everyone - new to the forum and catching up on reading the posts on the Zymatic error #1 and #17 (using v1.1.14 firmware). Also working on the offline RasberryPi option. My apologies for asking a naïve question: can someone point me in the right direction based on the current process that works for the errors?

Hello everyone - new to the forum and catching up on reading the posts on the Zymatic error #1 and #17 (using v1.1.14 firmware). Also working on the offline RasberryPi option. My apologies for asking a naïve question: can someone point me in the right direction based on the current process that works for the errors?

PM sent

Hello All,

I'm brand new to the group. I just recently picked up a used Zymatic. I was apprehensive given the state of the Picobrew, but it seems like there's some excellent people & information out here, and with some effort, it looks like you can keep these machines running well. I'm not afraid to tinker with things, so the glycol mods and pi servers are a direction I think I'd like to go. I'm currently up and running with the original owner's Picobrew account.

They only used it a couple times and it has since sat for years, so I'm expecting to need some maintenance. I was able to get the unit circulating again thanks to some previous posts in this thread, and I'm currently running a deep clean cycle that is working without issues so far.

@Mike Howard, you seem to be very active, knowledgeable and helpful. Would you please be able to send me your modification information? It would be greatly appreciated! I can't seem to find the ability to PM you.

I will continue to scour the forum, but if anyone else has some quick suggestions for getting up and running, I'm all ears! Assuming the cleaning finishes without errors, I'm hoping to try my first batch in the machine today!

Latest posts

Back