PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there, I would look at using searchtempest.com - this site allows you to search all Craigslist posting in a certain mile radius. So, if you don't mind driving, you may be able to find a great deal! Or even try to convince someone to ship you their used version.

I also saw you were actively talking to someone in Texas from the For Sale forum with one for sale. Best of luck!

Thank you Dennis for the coupon and cdt5058 for the search website, very helpful. The one in Texas has a potential buyer already, but I found others using the searchtempest website. I am still working on my options, e.g., comparing new/norisk/higher cost vs used/some risks. Hope for a decision soon.

Thanks,
:mug:

Yes, I still use the brewbucket minis almost exclusively for smallish batches. They are much easier to clean than the 5gal kegs too. I got a Pico Pro too and ferment the 1.75gal batch from that in the Brewbucket minis as well. I can fit both of them in my fermentation fridge at the same time so I can ferment 2 batches at the same time. I added a thermowell to the lid of each, but looking back on it, I think I'd put a short one in the wall of the bucket instead. I've also fermented in kegs and attached the temp prob to the side, then covered in thick bubble wrap. I think that works just as well as a thermowell if you don't want to drill into your fermenter.

Yes, I still use the brewbucket minis almost exclusively for smallish batches. They are much easier to clean than the 5gal kegs too. I got a Pico Pro too and ferment the 1.75gal batch from that in the Brewbucket minis as well. I can fit both of them in my fermentation fridge at the same time so I can ferment 2 batches at the same time. I added a thermowell to the lid of each, but looking back on it, I think I'd put a short one in the wall of the bucket instead. I've also fermented in kegs and attached the temp prob to the side, then covered in thick bubble wrap. I think that works just as well as a thermowell if you don't want to drill into your fermenter.

That's awesome! I was going to go with the "thermowell in wall" route I think. I currently do the probe & bubble wrap thing, but my temperature graphs show the temperature as being much more volatile than I'd like.

Are you both brewing and fermenting in the brewbucket, or brewing in the keg and then transferring to the brewbucket for fermentation?

If you mean between the Pico and the Zymatic (closer to $2000 than to $1000) there are two major differences. Batch size 2.5 gallons rather than one gallon, and the Z permits you to use your own ingredients to make whatever you want whenever you want (which is far less expensive than the Picopacks).

Ah got it, thanks!

Brewed another couple batches in the past couple weeks. One being a clone of Wilmington Brewing Company's Tropical Lightning and the other being a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone that will be aged on Kopi Luwak coffee from Vietnam.

Both batches had grain bills over 8 pounds, with the Founder's clone being just shy of 9 pounds. I took the OG sample of the Founders clone this morning and it clocked in around 1.080 and an estimated 10.2% ABV... I'm hoping to get a yeast starter going and get this fermenting in my newly create Danby fermentation fridge.

The Tropical Lightning batch has been fermenting away for just over a week now. Hopefully it can come close to the original that I had earlier this year...

Bother batches, the Zymatic worked like a charm. I'm looking forward to getting a keg or two more so I can have multiple kegs ready to carb & swap out when need be.

Cheers!

Keep us posted on how these turn out! Both sound delicious!

Brewed another couple batches in the past couple weeks. One being a clone of Wilmington Brewing Company's Tropical Lightning and the other being a Founder's Breakfast Stout clone that will be aged on Kopi Luwak coffee from Vietnam.

Both batches had grain bills over 8 pounds, with the Founder's clone being just shy of 9 pounds. I took the OG sample of the Founders clone this morning and it clocked in around 1.080 and an estimated 10.2% ABV... I'm hoping to get a yeast starter going and get this fermenting in my newly create Danby fermentation fridge.

The Tropical Lightning batch has been fermenting away for just over a week now. Hopefully it can come close to the original that I had earlier this year...

Bother batches, the Zymatic worked like a charm. I'm looking forward to getting a keg or two more so I can have multiple kegs ready to carb & swap out when need be.

Cheers!

Anyone know how much a new Step Filter would cost?I emailed the company and haven't heard back after several days. I've been toying around with the idea of getting one and found someone looking to sell a never used Zymatic fairly cheap but that part is broken apparently and doesn't think they'd warranty it based on the circumstances he purchased it.

Anyone know how much a new Step Filter would cost?I emailed the company and haven't heard back after several days. I've been toying around with the idea of getting one and found someone looking to sell a never used Zymatic fairly cheap but that part is broken apparently and doesn't think they'd warranty it based on the circumstances he purchased it.

I’ve never heard of them selling one, in fact people have asked to purchase one and they won’t sell you a spare. They will warranty the step filter well past the normal one year warranty, so far. I would definitely get the serial # of the unit your thinking about purchasing and verify with support that they will let you activate it, if he’s already warning you about circumstances. I’ve seen a case where someone bought a Z at an auction and Picobrew denied activation since it was marked as stolen. Make sure your using the address [email protected]. They have always replied within hours to me.

I think that they officially charge something like $300 for a new step filter, without the mesh insert.

That said, the one thing to be wary of is whether or not you can actually register the Zymatic. If the Zymatic wasn't ever used by this guy I would at least make sure that he was able to register it to an account (and then I would get in writing that he intends to transfer ownership to you). PicoBrew will reach out to the currently registered owner to ensure that you acquired the Zymatic from them legally -- if the current owner can't transfer access to you in PicoBrew's system then you'll end up with a thousand dollar paperweight.

I used their website form to contact. He bought it at an auction. Googling around his phone number now to find out his name and seeing that same name attached to a Zymatic thread on Homebrewers Association forum, it appears it's the same guy who couldn't register because they said it was bought with a stolen credit card. I don't think he did anything nefarious with purchasing the item as I found the auction listing online with some Googling and it was a pretty big lot of items purchased at once, but alas, if you have to register the device to get access to everything I guess it is an expensive paperweight. Bummer.

Brewed last night and did not have time to completely clean up. Cleaned this morning, went to work, came home and decided to rinse the machine, which I have always done right after brewing. Turned machine on and got a "Stepper Motor Fault". Weird, it was working less than 24 hours ago with no issue. So I shut it down, turned it back on, same thing. Looking at the arm, I noticed some dried wort where the arm pokes out of the top of the machine, so I gently removed it with warm water and a soft brush, problem solved. Thinking back, I have noticed wort dripping from that spot after I brewed, days later, and leaving a bit of resin on the step filter or inside of the machine if the filter was not stored inside. Anyone else seeing this? Do I have a leak? I wouldn't expect to see wort up inside the machine like that!!

Turns out that wort should not have been there on the stepper motor arm! Corresponded with the folks at Picobrew and they had me remove the back and send them pix of the two seals. One of them has a small leak that was causing the issue. They are ordering parts for me tomorrow. Hope they get in soon as I plan to brew heavily next week during the holiday!!

Well the parts came in but a little too late for me to brew with over the turkey break. Have had no time to brew lately, but thinking I will get down to business next week. The folks at Picobrew sent me a complete replacement to my stepper arm. Had to completely disassemble the outer shell to install it, and that was a bit of a PITA, but luckily I had all the right tools to do the job! Their directions were spot on and their customer service was fantastic! I was fully prepared to have to pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed but all it cost me was time and a little bit of elbow grease. Very pleased with that aspect! Keep an eye out for thick, dried wort on your step filter or coming out of the hole where the stepper arm comes out. If this happens, you have the same issue I did and honestly I should have questioned it one or two brews earlier than I did. System still worked, but there was a definite problem that was only going to get worse. Glad I caught it before it got too bad.

Well the parts came in but a little too late for me to brew with over the turkey break. Have had no time to brew lately, but thinking I will get down to business next week. The folks at Picobrew sent me a complete replacement to my stepper arm. Had to completely disassemble the outer shell to install it, and that was a bit of a PITA, but luckily I had all the right tools to do the job! Their directions were spot on and their customer service was fantastic! I was fully prepared to have to pay an arm and a leg to get this fixed but all it cost me was time and a little bit of elbow grease. Very pleased with that aspect! Keep an eye out for thick, dried wort on your step filter or coming out of the hole where the stepper arm comes out. If this happens, you have the same issue I did and honestly I should have questioned it one or two brews earlier than I did. System still worked, but there was a definite problem that was only going to get worse. Glad I caught it before it got too bad.

What do you mean? What should we be looking out for? Have a pic? I always have thick caramelized wort on the lid after I brew. That bad?

How is everyone adjusting the hop additions to compensate for the lower utilization on the Zymatic? I have been increasing all late additions by 20 % and dialing back the 60 minute addition. This is basically what a Kevin in customer support said to do early on.
I think I’ve been doing it incorrectly.

Basically how do you adjust your old recipes to brew on the Z?

What do you mean? What should we be looking out for? Have a pic? I always have thick caramelized wort on the lid after I brew. That bad?

Get a flashlight. Remove the step filter. Look at the hole inside, top of the Z where the tube that recirculates wort into the step filter sticks out. If there is wort around that hole, you have a problem and need to address it.

Greetings All,

I just got a Zymatic, and after cleaning it I am doing the first trial run using the included Pico Pale Ale recipe. Working good thus far. Question on fermentation. I have 2 of the 7 Gallon Brew Buckets I would like to use in my fermentation fridge, is there a way to have the Zymatic pump the wort from the keg into the Brew Bucket? If so, can you walk me through the process?

Sure. There's probably a more elegant way to do this, but connect the black ball lock from the Z to the out of the keg. Attach a sanitized keg wand (they came with your machine, plastic tube that's open on one end, the other attaches to a ball lock, you use them primarily for rinsing) to the grey ball lock, and just point that into your fermenter.

On the Zymatic, go to Help and then Recirculate.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I knew there was a way to do it but the instruction manual wasn't clear as to what the 'Recirculate' vs 'Drain' modes were. I ended up leaving it in the keg for this first go, but next time I will use the Brew Bucket. It's early yet, but I got to say so far I love the Zymatic. :ban:

I have been searching the web trying to find out if you can do water adjustments with the zymatic. Can you adjust your water profile with the zymtic and if so how do you go about doing it. I would think that if you just dumped it in the keg with the water it might gunk up the machine because it isnt properly dissolved but I honestly have no idea. Hopefully someone that has one and does water adjustments will comment. Thanks guys.

I have been searching the web trying to find out if you can do water adjustments with the zymatic. Can you adjust your water profile with the zymtic and if so how do you go about doing it. I would think that if you just dumped it in the keg with the water it might gunk up the machine because it isnt properly dissolved but I honestly have no idea. Hopefully someone that has one and does water adjustments will comment. Thanks guys.

I add Gypsum/CaCl2 as I'm adding water to the keg. The salts will dissolve as the water heats up & gets recirculated. Never had issues.

If your adjustments in 3-4 gallons of water clog the machine, you're putting in way too much. Just dump in the keg and give it a few swirls.

Thanks guys. Also I was thinking more on the lines of build up in the machine over time like scale build up. I suppose if that did happen I could do a vinegar rinse or something.

There are a couple of cleaning regimens that I've heard of support prescribing when there are still issues after regular cleanings, but they don't sound like preventative steps or something you'd do without guidance.

Back to back brew days! Rare I get the time to do that these days, but the Z makes it a lot easier to pull off.

I find that if I rinse the machine twice and then get some hot water and just recirculate it for 10-15 minutes, that the machine cleans up well. Then an occasional deep cleaning as described by Pico to get any built up gunk. My step filter and some of the parts to it have stained by the wort, but that is cosmetic. Keg cleaning is a bit more work, as the krausen residue is hard to get off without scrubbing it...can't just toss it onto my keg cleaner and walk away anymore.

Back to back brew days! Rare I get the time to do that these days, but the Z makes it a lot easier to pull off.

I find that if I rinse the machine twice and then get some hot water and just recirculate it for 10-15 minutes, that the machine cleans up well. Then an occasional deep cleaning as described by Pico to get any built up gunk. My step filter and some of the parts to it have stained by the wort, but that is cosmetic. Keg cleaning is a bit more work, as the krausen residue is hard to get off without scrubbing it...can't just toss it onto my keg cleaner and walk away anymore.

I used a cheap fountain pump from homedepot and some pvc. Stick the pump in the bucket. Drill drain holes in the lid and set the keg on top. I run 130 degree pbw rinse and it gets everything.

IMG_2032.jpg

Looks like my setup except for the cap and drilled holes. That might be my issue. Think I will do that to see if it helps. How many holes did you drill and what size bit?

Get a flashlight. Remove the step filter. Look at the hole inside, top of the Z where the tube that recirculates wort into the step filter sticks out. If there is wort around that hole, you have a problem and need to address it.

AH okay, I feel like i've noticed build up before and had tried cleaning.....will take a closer look. Thanks for the heads up.

My routine has been pretty painless, although does involve SOME scrubbing. I typically do an initial hot water rinse with about 1/3 filled with piping hot water and swirl to get the gunk off the bottom. I then use a wet long necked curved scrub brush to get the top of the keg where the krausen was. Then swirl and dump. Then add PBW and fill to brim with hot water and leave it over night. In the am, dump, rinse and it's sparkling clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been flipping through some pages here and there: but haven’t seen my answer quite yet...

Can the Zymatic save me money if I brew my own beer for my kegerator? Or is it cheaper to buy kegs. Obviously there’s a huge up-front cost here...

I’m looking to get into home brewing, and time is something I don’t have much of: so it seems like a good options (since pico doesn’t brew enough for a keg really)

I’ve been flipping through some pages here and there: but haven’t seen my answer quite yet...

Can the Zymatic save me money if I brew my own beer for my kegerator? Or is it cheaper to buy kegs. Obviously there’s a huge up-front cost here...

I’m looking to get into home brewing, and time is something I don’t have much of: so it seems like a good options (since pico doesn’t brew enough for a keg really)

The Zymatic is a piece of homebrewing equipment like anything else, and won't save you any money vs. other, more traditional homebrewing methods.

To the question "Can homebrewing beer save me money over buying kegs", while it could it's unlikely to. The best comparison I've heard is that brewing your own to save money on beer is like buying a boat to save money on fish.

The Zymatic can save you time, so if you love to brew but are short on time, I think it is a great option. Time is money, so in that respect I think it saves me "money". Tonight I brewed...about 30 minutes to setup, push start, then took the son to Kung Fu practice, came home, cooked dinner for the two of us, picked him up, ate dinner, played a little Zelda, talked to him about illegal drugs, cleaned up the mess in the kitchen I made making homemade gravy to go along with the steak, went downstairs and the alarm was going off for me to whirlpool. So if I was brewing on my natural gas rig, most of the things I did after hitting start would not have been possible. The Zymatic is expensive and I think worth every penny I spent on it because I love to brew, to tweak my recipes, and it makes good to great beer that I love to drink because I tailor it to my taste buds.

If you are pinching pennies then this may not be the way for you. To answer your question more directly, it depends. If you buy bulk grains and hops, learn to manage yeast, understand how to tweak water chemistry a little, you can make great beer for less money than buying craft beer. Lots of $20 a 4 pack beers under my belt, and I can make beer as good for a fraction of the price. Now add in equipment and time to your ingredients, and you likely have another story to tell. Though the Z makes the time factor a lot more palatable, it really hurts on the $$ for equipment side. If you are planning to brew for many years and the machine lasts, then I think you can get ahead on the cost per fluid ounce curve. Where that happens, if that happens, has too many variables that are unique to the individual brewer to have an easy yes/no answer. Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Back