PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last item, hydroflask- I have a 40oz one that I use at work to make sure I drink 2-3 bottles worth a day (I forget to drink water if I don't have it sitting in front if me but I'll guzzle that down in 10 minutes if I have it.) And I got several of the family "boyfriends" the growlers as Christmas gifts since the sisters were covered. I've left a half full bottle of water in my car overnight in sub 20F whether and come out to no ice

I have one. Backed them on Kickstarter and got my unit about 6 weeks ago.

I've done 5 or 6 batches to date. I think the above review from reddit is pretty spot on.

Brewing with it is easy and very hands off. I loaded it with grain, water and hops yesterday while on my lunch break from work, and let it roll. The unit updates current temperatures and graphs it for you on your user account on the PicoBrew website, so I could monitor the mash and boil temperatures from work.

For chilling I'm using my SS immersion wort chiller and a bucket of ice-water. When the boil has finished you disconnect two hoses, insert the wort chiller, and circulate the wort through the wort chiller for a few minutes to sanitize before immersing it in a bucket of ice-water. A plate chiller would be better, but I'm using what I have.

I've also used it to cook steaks via Sous-vide... which turned out absolutely fantastic.

Overall I'm pleased with it, it makes brewing very easy, and I don't have to haul equipment around.

I don't really like the connector at the bottom/back/exit of the step-filter/grain bin as previously mentioned. I need to inquire about it on their forums and see what they have to say, but their site is blocked at work. (HBT isn't, hmm).

If anyone has questions I'd be happy to answer. If you're in NC and want to have a look, let me know

How easy is intro chill with a plate chiller and transfer to a carboy? I do love the idea of the closed system - the fermenter (keg) being sanitized by the brewing process, but I'm wondering about options.

Does this machine boil the wort without lautering? So does it boil the mash? Is there problem of tannin extraction? I heard that tannin is extracted if temperature of the wort is over 170° F.

Does this machine boil the wort without lautering? So does it boil the mash? Is there problem of tannin extraction? I heard that tannin is extracted if temperature of the wort is over 170° F.

It does not boil the mash.

jaywhy and FlyDoctor, thanks for the reply.
I checked some logs in this forum and some movies. Finally I understand.

This system includes a keg, isn't it? If mashing, the water circulates between a heater in the machine, a transparent mashing pot and the keg. When boiling, the wort circulates between the heater and the keg only.

This architecture is fantastic!

How easy is intro chill with a plate chiller and transfer to a carboy? I do love the idea of the closed system - the fermenter (keg) being sanitized by the brewing process, but I'm wondering about options.

I'm going to assume that the process to insert a plate chiller would be the same as what I'm doing to insert my immersion chiller... That being said YMMV.

At the end of the boil, the Picobrew beeps at you. Press the button to silence it.

I disconnect the ball-lock on the "out" side of the keg and the "in" side of the Picobrew, then insert my wort chiller with silicone tubing (hose clamp on the Picobrew side, ball lock to the keg on the other), tighten the clamps, and hit the button to begin the chill cycle. I let it circulate a few minutes to sanitize everything, though I prefer to run some StarSan through the chiller first, just to be careful.

Then I drop it in a bucket of ice water. I assume you'd be turning on the water at this point.

Hope that helps! The Picobrew forums has a how-to write up on this with pictures.

jaywhy and FlyDoctor, thanks for the reply.
I checked some logs in this forum and some movies. Finally I understand.

This system includes a keg, isn't it? If mashing, the water circulates between a heater in the machine, a transparent mashing pot and the keg. When boiling, the wort circulates between the heater and the keg only.

This architecture is fantastic!

That's mostly correct. When mashing the machine circulates from the keg through the mash compartment and heater and back to the keg. When boiling, the machine circulates from the keg through the internal heater and through cages containing the hops for the brew. It has 4 cages, so you could set up to 4 different hop additions in a brew session.

For those interested, I was supposedly order #232. I received the shipping cost on 2/3. It was shipped on 2/6 and due here on 2/9 or 2/10 (CA) for arrival. Too bad I'm moving and will not be able to brew for another month.

For those interested, I was supposedly order #232. I received the shipping cost on 2/3. It was shipped on 2/6 and due here on 2/9 or 2/10 (CA) for arrival. Too bad I'm moving and will not be able to brew for another month.

And when did you order it? How do you find out your number on the wait list?

And when did you order it? How do you find out your number on the wait list?

I paid for my pre-order on 8/4 ... so they've had my money almost exactly six months. They gave me my number in line when I started inquiring about when I am up.

Just passing along an email I received tonight as well (fitting since mine shipped a few days ago) ... curious about what the new product is ...

We have officially shipped one-third of our pre-ordered PicoBrew Zymatics® and continue to ship more every day. Based on your order date, it is estimated your Zymatic® will ship between February 9th and February 23rd.

Now that we’re into steady-state production of Zymatics® we can move on to the business of making the product even better. We have been continuously adding to the recipe library (including an outstanding new Mosiac Pale Ale, Quad-IPA, & a Classic American Pilsner) and recently released a v 1.5 software update. In about 1 mo we should be ready to release a major software update that we think you’ll like even more! We’ve received a huge amount of feedback over the past year, including a lot of helpful product and feature requests from our PicoBrewers. We're already implementing and, in fact, there’s a product in the works that will help you complete the craft beer experience that your PicoBrew Zymatic® pioneers. We’ll be able to tell you more soon!

In the meantime, please feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

-The PicoBrew Team

Just passing along an email I received tonight as well (fitting since mine shipped a few days ago) ... curious about what the new product is ...

We're already implementing and, in fact, there’s a product in the works that will help you complete the craft beer experience that your PicoBrew Zymatic® pioneers. We’ll be able to tell you more soon!

Dispensing system? Mini kegerator?

Dispensing system? Mini kegerator?

It's a kegerator/fermentation chamber that's "smart" Features a display that tells you what's on tap, how many servings are left, etc etc. The Kickstarter for that launches in the upcoming week.

It's a kegerator/fermentation chamber that's "smart" Features a display that tells you what's on tap, how many servings are left, etc etc. The Kickstarter for that launches in the upcoming week.

Nice, integrated fermentation is of course the one thing missing from the system.

I think I might pull the trigger on the PicoBrew. :cross:

I was order number #225 and mine arrives Tuesday to San Francisco. I ordered in August so its been 6 months since I ordered so looking forward to eventually getting it at last.

Here is the menu for crafting a recipe

picomenu1.png

picomenu2.png

I'll have to keep an eye out. I've been only racking into bottles forever and was just about to pull the trigger on a kegging setup. I might have to wait now.

I just got their email about the upcoming product and attached a screenshot.

Initial impression from the email: I would think there is little that it can do that a brew pi and/or kegbot couldn't. I actually have most the components I need for a brew pi (see the thread on HBT about building your own) ready to be assembled for my mini-fridge kegerator for this exact purpose.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1423445627.277662.jpg

I'm in for one. Anyone else?

I signed up for one unit, only because I was already in the market for a Kegco K309SS-2 ... although, the one they have pictures of seems to also be a Kegco, but the 209. So it may actually be cheaper to buy the kegerator and the control unit separately. They did email me back stating it has the SS tray/floor, regulator, 5 gal tank, two sets of ball locks, etc.

Hopefully they post more real details on the entire setup to help me decide if I should cancel / modify the pledge / etc.

I am in. I already have a SS kegerator, so just pledged for the build your own. These guys make quality products, so I have high expectations.

I'm sorry but what i just read sounds ridiculous except for the bit about being able to tell whats left in your keg. I built a 5 tap keezer. From what i read they are solving for the following copied from the website and my take:

1. What's on Tap? It's hard to believe, but with most home kegerators, you can't even tell what kind of beer is on tap. Kegs aren't well labeled, and many home kegerators sport generic black tap handles. That's no way to celebrate your great craft beers! :confused: --- What really, so the good old chalk board doesn't work anymore? oh i am going to get so confused that i wont know whats on my own tap?

2. Information. Cans and bottles at least tell you a little about what you're drinking, and the chalkboard on brewery walls often yields all kinds of information. Most home kegerators, in contrast, just squat in the corner and dispense beer. --- Again, WHAT??

3. Control. When you bring home some great craft beer, you'd really like to serve it perfectly. Most home craft beer kegerators don't have precision temperature control, so your beer gets served at "kegerator temperature" whatever that happens to be. -- Cough... stc 1000 or any other million solutions that accurately control temperature

4. What's Left? One of the classic kegerator challenges is determining how much beer is left. Running out during a party is a party foul, of course, but it's pretty darn hard to track each pour so you know when it's time to pick up another keg. --- OK i like this one... i like it alot!!

I'm sorry but what i just read sounds ridiculous .....

4. What's Left? One of the classic kegerator challenges is determining how much beer is left. Running out during a party is a party foul, of course, but it's pretty darn hard to track each pour so you know when it's time to pick up another keg. --- OK i like this one... i like it alot!!

My impressions are much the same, and to answer #4.... https://kegbot.org/

Edit: or raspberrypints.

Basically $100 of hardware for an raspberry pi, arduino, screen and odds and ends and you can build a the same thing with open source software for ferm control and taplist management

I'm in for one of the early birds. I've been considering going to kegging anyway...

I'm not 100% sure I won't opt out before it's all over though. We'll see what further details come out about it.

can someone please upload a video to youtube of your own picobrew inaction??

It seems that the only vidoes that appear are all the advertising/kickstarter ones and an unboxing video.....it would be great to see an actual consumer using the product.

or have they got some disclaimer about uploading videos?

can someone please upload a video to youtube of your own picobrew inaction??

It seems that the only vidoes that appear are all the advertising/kickstarter ones and an unboxing video.....it would be great to see an actual consumer using the product.

or have they got some disclaimer about uploading videos?

I second this...at least pictures, and some of the beer too please

So I've brewed 7 batches on the PicoBrew since 11/22. I bottle everything, so it's taken some time to get the results out of the pipeline.

Pico Pale Ale (kit was included with the machine): Unfortunately this tastes like plastic. They do say to run a rinse with your machine before brewing on it, and in the brew log it does say I ran one. I think I'd run multiple rinses if I had it to do over again. (I rinse with hot tap water). I'd also run everything through the dishwasher first.... I don't think I did that.

Party Porter: This turned out really good, I've shared it with my friend who really enjoys porters and he gave it a very good rating as well.

I picked these two as the first was included with the unit. Some of the earliest backers had 2 kits included, the second was the porter. I sourced the ingredients locally, though Mountain Homebrew in WA sells kits.

http://www.mountainhomebrew.com/picobrew2.5gallonrecipekits.aspx

United Nation IPA: Similar to Stone's ruination. This one turned out a bit hazy, but otherwise pretty good. I've decided to let it condition in the bottles for another week, so it should be ready for another try this weekend.

The last brew was a "Just squeezed IPA" this past Wednesday, and it hit the OG right on target.

Pictures to follow!

Okay, pictures:

Picture of the PicoBrew from the front, filled with 8.75 Lb of grains for this weekend's brew. Limit is 9lb.

Picture of the unit from the front with the step-filter removed. The step filter connects to the unit via the small tube at the bottom center. Wort is circulated into the unit via a movable fluid arm that's barely visible at the top center of the compartment.

Connections on the side of the unit. The "out" hose, forward has a sample port that fits a syringe. The "in" hose, rear, has an in-line filter.

Step-filter from above with lid. You can see the four holes at the top of the picture where wort is circulated through the hops cages during the boil. The hole in the lower center of the picture is where the wort is circulated through the grain during the mash cycle.

Same thing, no lid. There's a mesh screen on the top and bottom of the mash compartment, and another one under the hops cage compartment. They're pretty sturdy tig-welded stainless steel.

Hops cage

Another of the hops cage.

Step filter from the side.

And the step filter from the rear. You can see the port where the filter connects to the corresponding tube at the bottom center. Also the 4 hops cages sit in their own container. During the boil wort is added to the proper cage. Any cage beyond the first, it waterfalls to the previous cages before returning to the keg and recirculated.

I hope that's helpful! Pictures of beer later when I open them. Feel free to ask questions!

Mine is on it's way. I preordered at the beginning of January, so they must be pretty close to shipping at the time of order. I've noticed they've raised the price to $2k so I guess preordering is over.

I have a bunch of stuff to do prior to getting a batch brewed. I need to rebuild all of my kegs with fresh Orings and finish my brewpi fermentation control. I'll be fermenting in the basement for the time being so I need to get a heater blanket since the basement has been running at 40*F. I still need to buy a chiller, but for the next month or so I can just stick the keg into a snow bank when the boil is over.

I'm thinking about starting a thread here to track my brewing experience with the pico.

Yeah, and now I can't tell if that includes a keg or not (I'm not on a Computer, so the drop down options may be different). For the preorder is was $1700 without and $1800 with. New kegs can be had for less than $100 so I passed.

Back