PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finishing a glass of pale ale brewed with the picobrew - damn tasty. Good to have good beer on tap again after taking a long time off from brewing. Have a very nice nut brown on tap, a pilsner just finished a diacetyl rest and is cooling down for some extended time lagering. Oatmeal stout and an IPA using Mosaic hops are in the fermenters.

I'm liking my Picobrew :mug:

Awesome!
Glad to hear it makes good beer. Still waiting on my unit.
Any issues with the Zymatic so far?

Does anyone have any feedback on how smoothly the brewing process is? Any issues with stuck mash for example? How much hands on is there once you hit start? Is it easy to program the various mash steps and boil additions?

I can only speak from my experience with 1/2 dozen brews on my machine, but I have had zero issues with the machine and no stuck mashes ( I don't drink wheat beers, so haven't tried one ). Programming is extremely straightforward. If you are just doing a simple 1 temp mash then it is like falling off a log. I have done one of their stock step mashes and 1 batch with a custom step mash. You pretty much just fill in the temp and time for each step.

My only complaint so far is that the beer is disappearing too fast!

Stpauli - thanks for the reply. I know there is a limit to 4 hop additions, but is there a limit on the weight of hops added per addition? Can you use pellet or whole? I assume you can program the timing of the additions?

Sorry for all the questions, but getting serious about buying.

Stpauli - thanks for the reply. I know there is a limit to 4 hop additions, but is there a limit on the weight of hops added per addition? Can you use pellet or whole? I assume you can program the timing of the additions?

I don't think there is a weight limit on hops as much as it is a volume limit. A hop cage is about 3" x 2.5" x 4". I have had 1.5 oz (pellet) in a cage it was not any where close to full. You can add flame out hops right to the keg and I suppose there is the possibility of pausing the machine and reloading the hops.
You can program all timings mash and hop adds. Pellet and whole hops work. The recipe crafter lets you pick the hops, specify the AA% and boil time - it will calculate the IBUs for you.
This is what the input section looks like when making a recipe.

recipe pic.jpg

I did have some foaming in my first couple of batches - nothing like that reviewer. I have since gone to using my immersion coil in reverse (beer on the inside) and doing a once through cooling. Haven't remembered to start the stop watch, but the time is drastically reduced and the temp has been right about 70 or a little less. I have been adding some ice to the cooling water. Foaming is eliminated with this process.

Do you actually know what components are inside the thing? Is it easy to take apart for cleaning and maintenance?

I'm very interested to follow the development of this product long term. Might be just the thing for someone who has less time to brew(having young kids for instance) but likes to design and tweak recipes. This would cut out some of the work but hopefully still produce a great batch of beer.

I suppose extract brewing could do the same, but brewing AG is even more fun when I have the time for it.

I'll be following this thread and hope to see more pics and feedback from people who own these!

So what's the shipping delay these days (from order to delivery)? :confused:

This gadget might actually get me back into brewing.

Could a Zymatic owner please sell me on the 2.5 gallon batch size? I like a lot of things about this product, but this is a bit of a sticking point.

@jmadway I cant speak for a ZYmatic owner (im still a pre order). BUT, I used to brew almost everyweek. I had a keezer with 4 corney kegs in it, and I loved brewing a different style or mod of a recipe every week. I even once brewed the same recipe twice in a row to check my consistency.

I started out brewing 5 gallons at a time, but honestly since I was brewing every week the 2.5 gallons was perfect. I never got tired of all the beer I had. I even gave most of my beer out. There were only a few rare batches (the first Janet's brown) that I ended up drinking all to myself.

I guess its a preference. If you know you have a single beer recipe you want to keep on tap at all times, then it can be tough just brewing 2.5, but if you like to get creative, and brew all the time, then 2.5 is very nice.

CHeers

@jmadway I cant speak for a ZYmatic owner (im still a pre order). BUT, I used to brew almost everyweek. I had a keezer with 4 corney kegs in it, and I loved brewing a different style or mod of a recipe every week. I even once brewed the same recipe twice in a row to check my consistency.

I started out brewing 5 gallons at a time, but honestly since I was brewing every week the 2.5 gallons was perfect. I never got tired of all the beer I had. I even gave most of my beer out. There were only a few rare batches (the first Janet's brown) that I ended up drinking all to myself.

I guess its a preference. If you know you have a single beer recipe you want to keep on tap at all times, then it can be tough just brewing 2.5, but if you like to get creative, and brew all the time, then 2.5 is very nice.

CHeers

You make a lot of sense. Thanks.

Anyone read or watched any good, complete, independent user reviews? Got an itchy trigger finger, seeing if I get a bonus this year....

Anyone read or watched any good, complete, independent user reviews? Got an itchy trigger finger, seeing if I get a bonus this year....

Other than the couple of posts on this thread, I have seen virtually no reviews. Someone posted something here from a Seattle newspaper recently, but I would hardly call it a review.

No matter for me; apparently. After reading and watching everything I possibly could, I bought one last week. Lots of eye candy on their Facebook page, by the way.

Other than the couple of posts on this thread, I have seen virtually no reviews. Someone posted something here from a Seattle newspaper recently, but I would hardly call it a review.

No matter for me; apparently. After reading and watching everything I possibly could, I bought one last week. Lots of eye candy on their Facebook page, by the way.

Thanks! I tend to forget about the facebook/instagram stuff despite that its everywhere listed on everyones' webpages.Estimated ship date of March-ish?

Read upthread.
@stpauliboy

I've read this thread backwards and forwards. Just wondering if anyone had seen stand alone or outside reviews.

Thanks! I tend to forget about the facebook/instagram stuff despite that its everywhere listed on everyones' webpages.Estimated ship date of March-ish?

I've read this thread backwards and forwards. Just wondering if anyone had seen stand alone or outside reviews.

I hope to have mine within a couple of weeks. I'll definitely post a full review once I get to use it a bit.

Really want one of these. Unfortunately not enough spare change right now

Anyone know what it would take to build an inline chiller for this? I understand a pause can be hooked up if one wanted plumb one up rather than ice bucket chilling. Would a plate chiller work or is there too much particulate in the wort? CFC?

I have the PicoBrew System and I love the batch size. After fermentation in the 5 gal keg, I transfer to a 3 gallon keg for serving. I have a Kegerator with 3 taps so the 2.5 gal size is just right for a great variety. I love to experiment and tweak a recipe, and when you don't like the tweak it doesn't hurt so much to brew another one.

I thought originally this would be an issue for me as well, but honestly brewing is so much easier now, it really encourages you to want to make more batches.

Just my humble opinion.

:tank:

Could a Zymatic owner please sell me on the 2.5 gallon batch size? I like a lot of things about this product, but this is a bit of a sticking point.

Anyone know what it would take to build an inline chiller for this? I understand a pause can be hooked up if one wanted plumb one up rather than ice bucket chilling. Would a plate chiller work or is there too much particulate in the wort? CFC?

Brewed a pale ale yesterday. I am currently using my old immersion chiller for cooling the wort. I plan on getting a plate chiller in the future (when I get off my lazy ass and buy one). With 10 minutes left in the boil, I pause the machine and hook up the coil. I have it resting on some insulating foam with a towel over it for a little insulation since I want to keep the wort hot and sanitize the coil. I restart the machine and let hot wort circulate for the final 10 minutes. At the end of the boil, the machine pauses and I put the coil in my basement sink filled with cold water (tap water is plenty cold in MN this time of year - ice can be added). The outlet from the coil now goes into the fermenter and the machine is started again. It took less than 10 minutes to pump all the wort from the keg through the coil into the fermenter and the resulting temperature was 68 degrees - the exact temperature I wanted. Particulate is not an issue since there is a fine mesh screen at the bottom of the mash bin and the hops are also inside filter containers. There is also a inline filter between the keg and the machine.

Brewed a pale ale yesterday. I am currently using my old immersion chiller for cooling the wort. I plan on getting a plate chiller in the future (when I get off my lazy ass and buy one). With 10 minutes left in the boil, I pause the machine and hook up the coil. I have it resting on some insulating foam with a towel over it for a little insulation since I want to keep the wort hot and sanitize the coil. I restart the machine and let hot wort circulate for the final 10 minutes. At the end of the boil, the machine pauses and I put the coil in my basement sink filled with cold water (tap water is plenty cold in MN this time of year - ice can be added). The outlet from the coil now goes into the fermenter and the machine is started again. It took less than 10 minutes to pump all the wort from the keg through the coil into the fermenter and the resulting temperature was 68 degrees - the exact temperature I wanted. Particulate is not an issue since there is a fine mesh screen at the bottom of the mash bin and the hops are also inside filter containers. There is also a inline filter between the keg and the machine.

Thanks for the direct response and the detailed answer :mug:

I don't have any equipment right now since I sold all mine a few years back - In the spirit of doing once/doing it right, I'll grab a plate chiller when it comes time.

I finally got the rest of my unit.
Really excited to get brewing with it.

I'm looking forward to getting mine. Being told it'll ship the end of February, which is about 1.5 months later than it said when I ordered, but I'm still looking forward to it.

I placed my order. Now I have to sit on the edge of my seat wiggling like a little kid who has to pee until it shows up in... 3-ish months?

Have any of the pico brewers on here tried making batches smaller than 2.5 gallons? Since the 2.5's start with 5 gallons of water, I'm wondering if it can do a 1 gallon batch starting with 2 gallons. I'm so pumped to start using this- there are so many things I want to try!

Edit- one of those (eventually) being doing a full mash for a light beer and then splitting the wort to do a PicoBrew boil and full stove top boil to try and nail down this DMS argument unless someone gets to that before I do

Congrats Baja!
Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as the kickstarters did.
FYI, the 2.5 gal batches start with approx 3.7 gal.
I would think you can do a 1 gallon brew. I'll post on the picobrew forum to get a definitive answer.

Congrats Baja!
Hopefully you won't have to wait as long as the kickstarters did.
FYI, the 2.5 gal batches start with approx 3.7 gal.
I would think you can do a 1 gallon brew. I'll post on the picobrew forum to get a definitive answer.

Oh that's great! Thanks for the effort on looking into reduced batch sizes.

I'm also interested in the PicoBrew forum- wonder if I can get access before I receive the unit.

I have a whole list if things I want to prep before I receive the unit- plate chiller for cooling and I'll probably be building a brewpi for fermentation control in my minifridge- I'm a bit of a data geek so having plots of temperature control and profiles from grain to glass will fun.... Now if only electronic SG measurement wasnt so expensive....

Oh that's great! Thanks for the effort on looking into reduced batch sizes.

I'm also interested in the PicoBrew forum- wonder if I can get access before I receive the unit.

I have a whole list if things I want to prep before I receive the unit- plate chiller for cooling and I'll probably be building a brewpi for fermentation control in my minifridge- I'm a bit of a data geek so having plots of temperature control and profiles from grain to glass will fun.... Now if only electronic SG measurement wasnt so expensive....

Hey Baja,

I got access to the forum around the start of this month and I am expecting to take delivery of it early Feb.
I have a parallel counterflow chiller that I will be hooking it up to inline.
In the recipe menu you can enter the amount of ingredients you will be using including the amount of water. I can take a photo of the menu builder for ya...

This is what I found on the forum for batch size.
sPkM1Rm.png

I asked about the absolute minimum size. We'll see what the answer is.

Baja, email [email protected] and ask them for access to the forum. If you have an order pending, I would think they'd give you access no problem.

Hey Baja,

I got access to the forum around the start of this month and I am expecting to take delivery of it early Feb.
I have a parallel counterflow chiller that I will be hooking it up to inline.
In the recipe menu you can enter the amount of ingredients you will be using including the amount of water. I can take a photo of the menu builder for ya...

This is what I found on the forum for batch size.

I asked about the absolute minimum size. We'll see what the answer is.

Baja, email [email protected] and ask them for access to the forum. If you have an order pending, I would think they'd give you access no problem.

Stellar - you guys kick ass. :mug:

I'm assuming the Picobrew forum has more stuff about the workings of the system (i.e. pumps, heating cycles, etc) that I want to know more about - I'll email Picobrew.

Here is a copy and past from a nice review a guy did on Reddit named Jvonnieda. All credit to him on the write up.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2t08xa/zymatic_picobrew/

"Hi chuck_c, I've got one. I was in the second pilot group so I've had mine since July. Sadly, since I am incredibly lazy I've only actually brewed four batches on it but I can give you some insight.
TL;DR: I like it and would recommend it.
I won't address the "art" or "magic" or any of that. It's been done over and over. Check out my post history if you really want to get into it :)
I've been brewing for about 15 years or so and have been on again, off again about how serious I've been with it. At the "fever pitch" I built a 20 gallon E-HERMS with full BrewTroller fluid automation, hard plumbed with stainless feeding 2 BrewHemoth conicals with a glycol system. I sold that system to a nano startup and replaced it with the Zymatic.
My machine initially had some hardware issues, but PicoBrew addressed them very quickly and professionally. They have been as helpful as you could possibly ask for. They even drove out to my house (I live in Seattle) to pick up and drop off my machine and they gave me free ingredient kits for the trouble. I've had no issues for my last two batches and suspect I won't in the future.
Overall, if you are familiar with brew in a bag, this is quite similar. I would call it a RIMS BIAB hybrid. The wort recirculates through the attached keg during the entire brew and a RIMS tube is used to manage the temperature. You get four adjunct compartments so you can easily do four timed additions. If you want to do more than four timed additions, that would be hard. If you want to use more then 9 lbs of grain you are pretty much out of luck, although you can always crank up the gravity with DME if you need to.
The brew is completely hands off. You set up the machine, set up your recipe (which really can be pretty much as complex as you want regarding heat and time) and hit go. Come back when it beeps a few hours later to deal with chilling. I personally do no chill - I just cap the keg and leave it until the next day to pitch. Other people use a bucket with ice, others attach an inline chiller. There's a pretty active forum with PicoBrew staff and lots of discussion about those kinds of topics.
Since I've only brewed four batches with it, I'll give you the rundown of how each went:
Party Porter Kit included with the machine: Had hardware troubles but got through the brew. Beer turned out decent but overly sweet. From talking with other people who've brewed this beer it sounds like that's by design. I didn't care for it. Seemed under attenuated to me even though I hit my gravities.
Pico Pale Ale Kit purchased from Mountain Homebrew: More hardware issues. Water got into the adjunct compartments during the mash so I ended up with a very, very bitterly hopped mash. Beer was predictably bad.
Pico Pale Ale Kit given to me by PicoBrew after hardware repairs: No hardware issues, great brew. Did no chill. Hit gravities. Beer was good but boring.
Bidwell Pale Ale recipe from the PicoBrew community, purchased ingredients by hand at Mountain Homebrew: Great brew, no problems. This went into the keg and on CO2 a week ago and I served it at a party this past Sunday. Big hit, everyone loved it. I've been sick for a week with a throat mess and can't taste **** so I haven't had more than a few sips. Smells great but I'm holding my tasting review until I'm feeling better.
Cleanup is a breeze. I dump the grains in my recycle bin, give the grain bin a quick rinse and then run the machine through it's rinse cycle which takes 10 minutes or so and then everything goes into the dishwasher. I love that.
Some concerns:
I think the grain bin (step filter, they call it) is probably not going to last. It has a drain thing that looks destined to either crack or fill with bacteria. It also feels brittle and I know that it's going to slip out of my hands one of these days and end up with a huge crack. The company has had a really hard time getting these produced so I am really curious to see how this goes. I'd really like to have a spare on hand but they are having such a hard time with their supplier in China that they can't even get ones for machines they need to ship. I hope this clears up soon.
I asked very early in the Kickstarter if they would open source the firmware and they said yes. So far they have not. I'm starting to get annoyed. A big part of the reason I bought this was to hack on it and right now I can't. They have said they are focused on shipping machines they are committed to ship and then they'll do the firmware so I am being patient for now. It's frustrating though.
Finally, I'd say that the machine is like any brew rig. What you get out depends on what you put in. So far I am unimpressed with the kits but when I did a brew with fresh crushed grain, fresh hops and liquid yeast it turned out great.
Hope that helps. Happy to answer any questions you have and if you are in the Seattle area, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to demo it for you."

I am just getting back into brewing after several years away. The Pico-brew looks like it could be promising. One thing is missing though, a credible review. Why haven't we seen Zymurgy or BYO magazine put one of these thru their paces? $1700 is quite a chunk of change to me, but it would be totally worth it if this thing lives up to all the hype. I can't really count the one review I saw in a Seattle newspaper because it looked like they knew nothing about brewing. If this thing is all it's cracked up to be, it would be great if it's manufacturers could lend a unit to Zymurgy or BYO mag for testing purposes.

Email response that i got stated that forum accts are linked to product serial numbers (hmmm... data harvesting?) And that I will be emailed a sign up link when my unit goes into production.

Can't wait!

Back