PicoBrew Zymatic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, site says that delivery for current orders is expected in December. Wondering if they're going to cancel the "pre-order discount" soon or not.

I need to get off the fence about ordering one. Flame away, folks.

Anyone have any finished product yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hi kcmobrewer,

I have now brewed 7 separate recipes (8 brews). I have bottle conditioned or kegged 4 of them, and am about to bottle a fifth. All taste tests have been excellent. A partner and I brewed two batches of the same porter recipe, and the results were identical (OG, FG, SRM colour, taste, etc). I just tasted a Fat Tug clone (an IPA from Driftwood Brewery in British Columbia), and another citrus IPA recipe I have made many times on my traditional set up. Both were excellent. No off tastes that I could tell. No infection. The clone was a very good approximation, though I will be adjusting the recipe to see if I can get closer. I also tasted a non-carbonated irish red ale tonight after an FG reading, and it was lovely, though I find carbonation really brings out a lot in beer, so we'll see. Two more in the hopper, (including an Imperial IPA) and another brew planned next week.

As far as I can tell, it makes excellent wort. So long as your fermentation and sanitation are tight, I don't see any reason to doubt you could brew excellent beer this way. I am way more confident about it now that I have used it 8 times and tasted end results.

For what it's worth.

Mark M

Oh, for any other Zymatic users out there, the Picobrew forum is good. The Picobrew folk, including Annie Johnson, reply quickly if you have any questions or concerns or recipe requests. I've enjoying my time there, and increasingly here as well.

That's awesome! Thanks for the update. Sounds like a good product to me so far.

Picked up the Picobrew yesterday and currently have the pale ale kit that they sent with it going. So far, so good. It is heating the mash water now. It is cool to be able to monitor the temp on-line while it is running. Planning on doing a double batch of a nut brown tomorrow.

MY problem with Picobrew is they are setting unrealistic shipping dates, breaking golden rule of business "under promise, over deliver". The website in August said september delivery, September said October delivery and now website in November says December delivery. This is complete Bull**** out of them. Why don't they just be honest with people who are currently placing orders.

They are saying they will get to pre-orders in December so how could they possibly get to anyones order who orders today.... they can't so it is a blatant flat out lie that they having been doing on the website throughout the process. Fair enough production delays in sept have pushed out order delivery, fine. But why do they continue to promise to people who have not ordered that they will get their units soo soon when anyone who has already ordered knows they will not be getting their units at minimum a few months out....

Hmmm, site says that delivery for current orders is expected in December. Wondering if they're going to cancel the "pre-order discount" soon or not.

I need to get off the fence about ordering one. Flame away, folks.

They have been playing this game for months now with BS estimates on the website to not deter people from ordering. August was an estimate of Sept, Sept estimate of October, October estimate of November, now November has an estimate of December. I mean they know about production delays, how many units the can produce and sent emails about their hopes regarding production speed but yet on the website continue to mislead people who have not yet bought in. I feel that this aspect of how they are handling things as a business is highly questionable from an ethical standpoint.

So don't get your hopes up that if you order today that you will get it in December, I could be wrong, I hope i am wrong, but if the past is anything to go by with the production delays at no point changing delivery estimates advertised this date is pure fiction.

It sounds like the majority of the people who brewed beer find the results to be what they wanted, whether or not they're "$5 milkshake good" is subjective.

I've tried to keep abreast of developments but I might have missed the post that answers the question I am about to ask: Has anyone brewed a pilsner or other beer that early critiques predicted would taste bad due to DMS?
To phrase it another way, has anyone tried to 'break' the process and design a beer to test its limits?
If you have, was it with a proven recipe and have you made a 'good' version of it before?

They have been playing this game for months now with BS estimates on the website to not deter people from ordering. August was an estimate of Sept, Sept estimate of October, October estimate of November, now November has an estimate of December. I mean they know about production delays, how many units the can produce and sent emails about their hopes regarding production speed but yet on the website continue to mislead people who have not yet bought in. I feel that this aspect of how they are handling things as a business is highly questionable from an ethical standpoint.

So don't get your hopes up that if you order today that you will get it in December, I could be wrong, I hope i am wrong, but if the past is anything to go by with the production delays at no point changing delivery estimates advertised this date is pure fiction.

Reading your first rant was enough, thanks for the input though.

It stands to reason that since they've kept their preorders open in that time frame, they've had to slip their 'in stock" timeline, and the issue perpetuates itself. I imagine people would be bitching if they shutdown preorders to build stock as well, so they'll be damned either way.

Also, they haven't met their weekly production goals- sometimes that's the way things go. As a potential buyer I'd rather wait longer for a validated system then receive a hastily tossed together system weeks sooner, since the latter would likely need repair costing time as well.

"Planning on doing a double batch of a nut brown tomorrow." Sounds tasty, was the double batch to get 5 gallons?

I'm really curious to see some IPAs. The limited number of bins seems kind of troublesome for some super hoppy beers.

Also, the video showed them using only leaf hops. Wonder if pellets are ok?

I'm really curious to see some IPAs. The limited number of bins seems kind of troublesome for some super hoppy beers.

Also, the video showed them using only leaf hops. Wonder if pellets are ok?

6 oz of hops during the "boil" can get you very high ibus for a 2.5 gallon batch. You can refill the cages for whirlpooling. And yes, pellets are fine. There is a new "Fun with Hops" video on the picobrew site that covers these points.

Reading your first rant was enough, thanks for the input though.

It stands to reason that since they've kept their preorders open in that time frame, they've had to slip their 'in stock" timeline, and the issue perpetuates itself. I imagine people would be bitching if they shutdown preorders to build stock as well, so they'll be damned either way.

Also, they haven't met their weekly production goals- sometimes that's the way things go. As a potential buyer I'd rather wait longer for a validated system then receive a hastily tossed together system weeks sooner, since the latter would likely need repair costing time as well.

I think you may have missed my point. I agree that I would rather wait for a fully validated system and I also understand that with a new product production delays happen. My point is that they have continuously advertised on the website to would be consumers that the estimated wait time for product would be 1 month if they place a pre-order. When production issues occurred they maintained this 1 month advertised wait time every month since August and are doing the same this month.

Leithoa,

Listen to the Podcast with Annie Johnson on the Sunday Session. She brings the cast her beers made on the Picobrew, and they all agree they are very clean. Also, Annie has been testing and doing just as you said trying to test its limits. It seems as if there are some work around to certain styles but that it can do just about any style. Also I know Annie works for the company and so one would think shes just selling the machine, but you can hear the guys in the podcast actually taste the beer she brewed.

Cheers!

Leithoa,

Listen to the Podcast with Annie Johnson on the Sunday Session. She brings the cast her beers made on the Picobrew, and they all agree they are very clean. Also, Annie has been testing and doing just as you said trying to test its limits. It seems as if there are some work around to certain styles but that it can do just about any style. Also I know Annie works for the company and so one would think shes just selling the machine, but you can hear the guys in the podcast actually taste the beer she brewed.

Cheers!

I'm not quite sure what the sound of someone "tasting" is........... sort of like one hand clapping?? Your ears must be better than mine ;-)

H.W.

"Planning on doing a double batch of a nut brown tomorrow." Sounds tasty, was the double batch to get 5 gallons?

Yep - a friend set me up with firewood for the winter and his favorite beer is New Castle. Thought I'd make enough to pay him back with some beer. I did not get the second batch going yesterday because I had some company over, but started after work today - something I would never do on a week night before the picobrew. First batch has great color and OG was right on target. I'm planning on adding the second batch that is going now right to the already fermenting batch from yesterday.

Cheers

Yep - a friend set me up with firewood for the winter and his favorite beer is New Castle. Thought I'd make enough to pay him back with some beer. I did not get the second batch going yesterday because I had some company over, but started after work today - something I would never do on a week night before the picobrew. First batch has great color and OG was right on target. I'm planning on adding the second batch that is going now right to the already fermenting batch from yesterday.

Cheers
How long is total hands on time?

Hit the start button at 6:17 - 20 minutes left on the boil at 9:40. Ten minutes to weigh and load the ingredients. Chilling should take 30 to 40 minutes. Ten minute clean cycle and throw the step filter in the dishwasher.

Hit the start button at 6:17 - 20 minutes left on the boil at 9:40. Ten minutes to weigh and load the ingredients. Chilling should take 30 to 40 minutes. Ten minute clean cycle and throw the step filter in the dishwasher.
Amazing. Can't wait for mine.

I see you're brewing a nut brown:mug:

I think you may have missed my point. I agree that I would rather wait for a fully validated system and I also understand that with a new product production delays happen. My point is that they have continuously advertised on the website to would be consumers that the estimated wait time for product would be 1 month if they place a pre-order. When production issues occurred they maintained this 1 month advertised wait time every month since August and are doing the same this month.

Gotcha. But what I said still may stand- during that month time they accumulated additional preorders pushing the end of the preorder system out further and perpetuating the issue.

Maybe someone with a standing preorder from within the production window (I.e. sept or Oct) can comment?

Gotcha. But what I said still may stand- during that month time they accumulated additional preorders pushing the end of the preorder system out further and perpetuating the issue.

Maybe someone with a standing preorder from within the production window (I.e. sept or Oct) can comment?

I was one of the pre-orders placed in August with original estimate of Sept and scheduled now to get it in December. I don't mind the wait for a product that is fully tested and working just think they should be more honest with the ppl who have not placed orders about ETA on the website.

Still, really looking forward to when it arrives and testing it out with a few :tank:

How is the double batch working out for people to brew 5 gal ( two 2.5 gal batches). I heard Annie has it down!! but she is great i imagine she would

I was one of the pre-orders placed in August with original estimate of Sept and scheduled now to get it in December. I don't mind the wait for a product that is fully tested and working just think they should be more honest with the ppl who have not placed orders about ETA on the website.

Still, really looking forward to when it arrives and testing it out with a few :tank:

How is the double batch working out for people to brew 5 gal ( two 2.5 gal batches). I heard Annie has it down!! but she is great i imagine she would

That's disheartening since I'm looking to place an order and was hoping to have it to brew during Xmas break.

Best of luck. Hoping more people will chime in with their experience brewing with theirs...

I thought the solution was just to brew two batches and combine in the fermenter. Is there something more to it that that you are referring to?

I also pre-ordered mine in August. I was curious as to where I am in the pre-order cue. So, I emailed them and asked. They immediately replied and told me I am around 225 in the pre-order cue and if they continue producing the machines at their current rate that I should be receiving mine at the beginning to middle of January.

I'm very excited to receive mine and I would really like to have it to make some beer over the Christmas break, but that's life. I'd rather have a well built, well thought through, quality product than something that was hastily put together. So, I'm TRYING to be patient.

As far as the double batch is concerned (one 5 gallon batch), it's my understanding that there is actually a way to make the double batch in one brewing session and that Annie almost has it perfected. Albeit you won't be able to do it as quickly. I think it involves removing the filter at one point and replacing the grains with new ones, then extending the time. I could be totally wrong on this, but I seem to remember hearing this somewhere.

As far as the double batch is concerned (one 5 gallon batch), it's my understanding that there is actually a way to make the double batch in one brewing session and that Annie almost has it perfected. Albeit you won't be able to do it as quickly. I think it involves removing the filter at one point and replacing the grains with new ones, then extending the time. I could be totally wrong on this, but I seem to remember hearing this somewhere.

That would be great. Aside from wanting to hear more first hand reviews, this was the other remaining drawback for me.

I finally got my email for payment of shipping and taxes.
How long after that does the machine ship?

I'd love to hear another review of how a pico vs non pico all grain turned out. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this thing.

I'd love to hear another review of how a pico vs non pico all grain turned out. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on this thing.
That's not really a comparison that can be made as there are lots of different ways to brew beer all-grain without a pico that would result from downright awful beer to absolutely fantastic beer.

If someone sucks at making all-grain beer, odds are that using something completely automated like the PicoBrew Zymatic would result in much better beer.

If someone is really good at making all-grain beer, odds are that using something completely automated like the PicoBrew Zymatic would result in little to no change to possibly worse beer (no idea - I've never used the PicoBrew).

Kal

Didn't see a thread for this yet so I figured I'd toss it in here: http://www.brewie.org

Its currently up in indegogo (same idea as kickstarter) and I want to believe in it over the PicoBrew but there are so few real details and its pretty far out- I can't pull that trigger.

For what they're trying to sell and who they're marketing it to (both the zymatic and brewie), you'd think they would put a little more effort into the aesthetic design, instead of going for the cheapest and easiest: a huge stainless steel box. Let's see just a little creativity on the next one.

Is that going to be the future? All of our appliances will be stainless steel boxes?

Didn't see a thread for this yet so I figured I'd toss it in here: http://www.brewie.org

Its currently up in indegogo (same idea as kickstarter) and I want to believe in it over the PicoBrew but there are so few real details and its pretty far out- I can't pull that trigger.
Looks like it has built-in cooling, fermentation, and cleaning.
Very sparse on details though.

Looks like it has built-in cooling, fermentation, and cleaning.
Very sparse on details though.

I thought the same thing at first and then watched the video, fermentation seems to be external (my first thought was that all in 1 like that would be a TERRIBLE idea, unmarketable) since they clip wort flowing to a glass vessel and then an airlock.

Way too experimental to drop $1500 on for me, especially since it seems to be a water heater/circulator/BIB setup. But the 5 $1k and 10 $1200 ones are already spoken for, so someone with deeper pockets and more trust than I have are on board.

The pros of the system to me are: ability to plumb it to house water, 5 gallon brew capacity, automation (obviously). Cons are only 2 automated hop additions, and all the standard uncertainties that have been beaten to death about the PicoBrew (does it really boil, efficiency, longevity, etc)

The paucity of details for the brewie is amazing. Unless carbonated and chilled beer comes out at the end of the process, they need to take out that 'one button brewing' crap.

I really think this thing isn't being marketed to people who know the slightest thing about brewing.

Its not an automated brewery, its an automated wort making machine. One of the bullet points says 'wort outlet with the push of a button'. For absolute homebrew beginners, the brew-day isn't that complicated when extract is used. Its the fermentation that requires some learning and experience. The fact that they never mention any details about fermentation is very misleading to beginners. There's simply more to beer than the brew-day.

I'm not saying there isn't a niche for an automated wort machine. Saves on space, time, etc. Compared to what some folks spend on their own wort machine (myself included), it might even cost less. I'm not saying it isn't a valid idea for a product. I am not even saying it can't make good wort. But don't be so blatantly dishonest in the sales pitch. All you will end up with are disgruntled customers who feel like they've been cheated.

And their line about 'We are here to revolutionize the making of craft beer'? Dear lord, get your heads out of your asses.

That felt good. I like a good rant.

The paucity of details for the brewie is amazing. Unless carbonated and chilled beer comes out at the end of the process, they need to take out that 'one button brewing' crap.

I really think this thing isn't being marketed to people who know the slightest thing about brewing.

Its not an automated brewery, its an automated wort making machine. One of the bullet points says 'wort outlet with the push of a button'. For absolute homebrew beginners, the brew-day isn't that complicated when extract is used. Its the fermentation that requires some learning and experience. The fact that they never mention any details about fermentation is very misleading to beginners. There's simply more to beer than the brew-day.

I'm not saying there isn't a niche for an automated wort machine. Saves on space, time, etc. Compared to what some folks spend on their own wort machine (myself included), it might even cost less. I'm not saying it isn't a valid idea for a product. I am not even saying it can't make good wort. But don't be so blatantly dishonest in the sales pitch. All you will end up with are disgruntled customers who feel like they've been cheated.

And their line about 'We are here to revolutionize the making of craft beer'? Dear lord, get your heads out of your asses.

That felt good. I like a good rant.
Good rant there:rockin:
Compound that by the fact they claim they are the first...

Just finishing a glass of pale ale brewed with the picobrew - damn tasty. Good to have good beer on tap again after taking a long time off from brewing. Have a very nice nut brown on tap, a pilsner just finished a diacetyl rest and is cooling down for some extended time lagering. Oatmeal stout and an IPA using Mosaic hops are in the fermenters.

I'm liking my Picobrew :mug:

Awese to finally have someone drinking the beers it produces. Glad you like it.

Back