PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is one of us on the facebook group that already has a DIY setup for food grade silicon hop filter. He is also working on one for the actual pak. All materials can be bought off Amazon. No issues with heat and can be made at home without any special tools from what he is saying.

There is one of us on the facebook group that already has a DIY setup for food grade silicon hop filter. He is also working on one for the actual pak. All materials can be bought off Amazon. No issues with heat and can be made at home without any special tools from what he is saying.
The thingiverse is his mold...

Great, That appears to be only for hops. I don't have access to facebook (and don't want it neither), it would be great to know how to build one. I really feel like making a batch of milkshake IPA in a hacked Pico.

He is still in the design phase but said that once he has it all worked out he will post the information for molds and materials. He has shown a couple of desgins that he has molded and they look really good so far. Once they are post I or someone else will post here as well.

Here is a pic of the hop cage in the background and his prototype of the grain bin in the mold. All using off the shelf items to make. He used Bees Wax to hold the stainless screen in place.

107407941_10105661007587468_3713195576013721239_o.jpg

Thought this might be the best place to ask....
I picked up a used pico c and picostill. The picostill didn’t have the power cord. Would any picostill owners be able to advise me what the power supply outputs are so I can find a replacement? Thanks.

I am at work at the moment so I will have to double check but if I remember correctly it is 12v 5amp power supply that came with the two that I have. I will double check when I get home and post if no one else has commented.

I picked up a used pico c and picostill. The picostill didn’t have the power cord. Would any picostill owners be able to advise me what the power supply outputs are so I can find a replacement? Thanks.

took a pic of the adapter for comparison purposes. The manufacturer is some company called Mean Well and they appear to have a fairly legit looking site. Maybe reach out to them? MEAN WELL USA Switching Power Supply

ooh-- looks like these are available off the rack: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MEAN-WELL/GST36U12-P1J?qs=drgMNd%2BkGPN5lZBKNR99hA==

Attachments

• 02DA3907-3708-44A3-964C-A458502B0D15.jpeg
    02DA3907-3708-44A3-964C-A458502B0D15.jpeg
    392.8 KB · Views: 41
Awesome. Thank you both for the help! I couldn’t find anything online and haven’t heard back from customer service, although, I’m not sure if they still have a customer service department.

I keep random plugs and adapters in a box. I went through and found a brick that looked like it would work. I plugged it in and it powered on the picostill. I’ll have to wait until the weekend to get some time to try out it out. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it! Cheers!!

I keep random plugs and adapters in a box. I went through and found a brick that looked like it would work. I plugged it in and it powered on the picostill. I’ll have to wait until the weekend to get some time to try out it out. Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it! Cheers!!

If you haven't setup an offline server this will eventually be required to keep your machine running one Whitten closes up the website. Here is the repo that has that work and currently supports all device models actively sold by PB at the beginning of this year, chiefwigms/picobrew_pico

Just so that everyone knows, search Andrew Thompson on Youtube.
He steps you through how to flash a micro SD card with the Chief Wiggems software and install it into a Raspberry Pi SBC!
I have both my Pico C and Pico Pro brewing offline.
How-ever, you can only use one machine at a time and you have to reboot the Pi after each session.
Have fun!

How-ever, you can only use one machine at a time and you have to reboot the Pi after each session.
Have fun!

The server can support multiple devices simultaneously. Some networks— like my own— seem to block the pi from making multiple connections. This can be dealt with my using the pi on a different netwok or offline.

There has been talk about doing a group order of reusable filter "paks" that would unlock "brew your own ingredients" (BYOI) automation with a food grade high temp material. Well that time has come and pre-orders are available for the first run. These essentially act as a picopak when paired with an local server of your choosing unlocking the Pico C/S/Pro to be a mini Z/Zymatic machine.

Isn't my project, but have been involved in it so ask any questions you might have and I'll get you some answers.

A box costs $42 (all expenses included) if shipping costs more additional fees may be due later (ie. if you live over seas and need international shipping, etc).

https://www.pico-free.com/

There has been talk about doing a group order of reusable filter "paks" that would unlock "brew your own ingredients" (BYOI) automation with a food grade high temp material. Well that time has come and pre-orders are available for the first run. These essentially act as a picopak when paired with an local server of your choosing unlocking the Pico C/S/Pro to be a mini Z/Zymatic machine.

Isn't my project, but have been involved in it so ask any questions you might have and I'll get you some answers.

A box costs $42 (all expenses included) if shipping costs more additional fees may be due later (ie. if you live over seas and need international shipping, etc).

https://www.pico-free.com/
Trevor: I live in the Seattle area can I pick up locally or do they need to be shipped?

The cost is based on the following: (Cost of the box) + (Shipping from Hong Kong to the USA) + (Shipping from port to my house) + (All required import taxes) +(Shipping cost within the Continental USA) + (A small margin for any incidentals along the way) = YOUR COST.

From the linked site, Pico Free - Brew the beer of your dreams, all your questions should be answered. This is not something from "Picobrew", but rather from a member of the Picobrew community on Facebook that is sourcing these filter inserts for the C/S/Pro series devices. Total cost landed at your door is at a prepaid price of $42 if we can get 250 units ordered (minimum quantity order for the factory run).

Thanks
From the linked site, Pico Free - Brew the beer of your dreams, all your questions should be answered. This is not something from "Picobrew", but rather from a member of the Picobrew community on Facebook that is sourcing these filter inserts for the C/S/Pro series devices. Total cost landed at your door is at a prepaid price of $42 if we can get 250 units ordered (minimum quantity order for the factory run).
Thanks!

For those that haven't been following along on Facebook.

Pico-free update. The last 150 boxes are packed. About 6 hours. So I guess I have the system down that I average 2 minutes and 24 seconds to inspect and pack each one (not done together)

Anyway. I have called ups and arranged a pick up. They will come on MONDAY so by Tuesday the last of you first round people should be able to track.

In addition, all international and over seas forces boxes, and domestic PO Boxes that needed to be shipped USPS have been dropped off.

Today has been great progress. But not done. I have to inspect what I have left so that I can sell them. Soon. But sitting down now.

Also if you missed the first run we have gotten word from the factory they are open for a second run and if we get orders in soon we could get them to do the run before Chinese New Year, but regardless this will be the last run they are willing to do.

PICO-FREE.COM is now open for PREORDERS for the next manufacturing run.

If we get 250 or more by JANUARY 23, I will be able to order before Chinese New Year, and we can get them Mid-March. Otherwise they will have to ship in April or later. If I don't get enough orders, I will refund orders received.

This will be the last time, as I am not going to continue this, and the factory doesn't want to supply after this order.

Cart is open at pico-free.com for the second and last product run.

Last 42hr to get in on the second and last PicoFree purchase. Shipping is still being worked out, but there is a chance to get out of China factory before CNY.

There have been folks posting about their new found "freedom" on the Facebook group. Reach out if you have questions, want additional pictures or anything else I'm here and available.

Anyone has the recipe for the Mt. Baker Maibock? I found a pack when cleaning. I would want to brew it, but will change the hops. I don't see what is in there.
thanks!

Last 42hr to get in on the second and last PicoFree purchase. Shipping is still being worked out, but there is a chance to get out of China factory before CNY.

There have been folks posting about their new found "freedom" on the Facebook group. Reach out if you have questions, want additional pictures or anything else I'm here and available.
Oh.... I just noticed this. He doesn’t plan on making more? Anything else similar on the market?

If anyone wants to sell one of their pico free, I’d be interested.

The cart is open again until February 24th. Has nothing to do with him not wanting to do more (though is a lot of work for no profits...) the factory printing these in China has said absolutely no more orders as they aren't in the business of printing plastic boxes.

The cart is open again until February 24th. Has nothing to do with him not wanting to do more (though is a lot of work for no profits...) the factory printing these in China has said absolutely no more orders as they aren't in the business of printing plastic boxes.
Yeah, that sucks. I got mine in, luckily. I wonder how much they want for the intellectual property. Imagine restarting the production of the Z with aim for the homebrew market. No pack, just recipe sharing and reusable step filters. Community support and open source.
I still like the design of the machines, the best for all in ones that I know. I’ll keep dreaming.

To be clear PicoFree isn't from Picobrew and doesn't use or leverage any of Picobrew's IP and had nothing to do with the Zy or Z lines. Purely offering an automation feature for the smaller device line of C/S/Pro. For those that have these and didn't horde a 12+ month supply of PicoPaks haven't been able to do any brewing other than what is guess is a super annoying sous vide brew...

That all said I know Picobrew "owners" want to sell what they have in IP, but don't know how much they want as that isn't "public knowledge". Though from the information I do have there hasn't been any viable offers or interested parties come forth... Which I can only imagine as time goes on only drops the "assumed value" to those that lost millions here due to bad business decisions and mismanagement.

To be clear PicoFree isn't from Picobrew and doesn't use or leverage any of Picobrew's IP and had nothing to do with the Zy or Z lines. Purely offering an automation feature for the smaller device line of C/S/Pro. For those that have these and didn't horde a 12+ month supply of PicoPaks haven't been able to do any brewing other than what is guess is a super annoying sous vide brew...

That all said I know Picobrew "owners" want to sell what they have in IP, but don't know how much they want as that isn't "public knowledge". Though from the information I do have there hasn't been any viable offers or interested parties come forth... Which I can only imagine as time goes on only drops the "assumed value" to those that lost millions here due to bad business decisions and mismanagement.

argh, sorry, I reread my post and was far from clear. First thought/phrase was about the fact the plant doesn’t want to make more. There must be a business case for it. And then that tied in with the second thought, where the owners of the pico brew intellectual property want to sell the IP. How much they are asking. My thought around that was perhaps a group buy. Could pico owners buy the IP to manufacture machines? And maybe create a community and support group? I would see a focus on the Z only.
Sorry again, I know he has nothing to do with the pico brew company or it’s owners.
Side note, any way to use the pico still without servers?

Pico Still yes is compatible and supported by the common python server known as chiefwigms/picobrew_pico. There is even an experimental feature to graph still temperature and pressure data which PB would never provide given legal battles or potential battles.

The factory in China given the pandemic can pick and choose business opportunities. So they want to focus on larger order quantity and higher profitable business than our "print plastic box in a very niche market".

Yes if we would be able to get "enough funding" to make the millions if not hundreds of millions lost to the financial owners of PB that *could work*. Though we already have unlocked the devices so the only thing that would give us is the patents (doubt they would sell them to the community), the server, and the manufacturer contacts and molds (if they weren't destroyed already given last order was placed well over a year ago).

Yeah, if it's the multiple millions, chances are slim it could ever be raised. I don't know what they would do with the IP, sit on it?
Great to read on the pico still, now if only I can find one....

The last round has cleared custom and awaiting delivery to the guy organizing the order. He received the pack boxes and labels the other day.

I'd expect delivery to his address this week and pack out to begin over the weekend.

Latest posts

Back