PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually tell people to give the serving keg a try for a couple brews before you spend a lot of money, just to make sure your really into brewing and the process. Most people are, and quickly move away from the serving keg because they really suck. Don’t waste money on their regulator for the serving keg. Moving up to ball lock kegs is the best option, but you will want a kegerator or spare fridge. Another option is bottling for a while. I despise bottling and never would of recommended in the past, but I was sent one of their new bottling kits to test and am liking it. It’s 5 one liter swing top bottles, so it’s not too much work to clean and sanitize and cap 5 bottles this way. And 1 liter is a perfect size to sit down and crack a bottle or two with a friend. You have a few options, just depends what works with your space and budget and drinking.

They sent you a kit to evaluate? Lucky you.

What prevents the wand from building too much pressure while the pico is pumping but you are not pouring beer?

They sent you a kit to evaluate? Lucky you.

What prevents the wand from building too much pressure while the pico is pumping but you are not pouring beer?
The racking function of the Pico uses VERY low pressure. I’ve measured it with a gauge and it won’t register. That’s why it’s so slow.

Countdown to New Year: Pico is Offering 40% percent off Rouge Dead Guy Ale Today.

The second most popular beer in the New Beers Eve Countdown is one that’s been described as “the classic craft beer.” Aficiandos agree, judging by the laundry list of awards won since its introduction in 1994. In the past few years alone, Rogue’s Dead Guy Ale took first in the 2015 Great International Beer & Cider Competition, gold in the 2015 and silver in the 2013 and 2014 World Beer Championships, just to name a few. Inspired by the style of a German Maibock, “one designed to bridge the chasm from hearty wintry brews to bright summer fare,” Dead Guy Ale will keep you warm this winter with its a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor, and well-balanced finish.

Originally $23.99 Now $14.39

Too late. As soon as she told me the c was on the way (instead of the pro) I ordered the pico firm+c keg combo, the regulator, and an extra serving keg.

Oh well, I guess I will tempt fate with the first few paks on the way (stingray, half squeezed, and Pliny clone) and expand from there. Was budgeting hobbies for 2018 and pegged this new one at 5k...can only hope to keep it that low!

As others have mentioned, you will see if it fits your need. I used mine once, and plan on converting them in decoration instead.

I posted recently some parts you can buy to build a flexible solution. Really all depends on how much you brew and drink, and preferences. due to space, I have 24oz CO2 bottles attached to my regulators, that will also take the small 16g co2 cartridges. a hose connects to the ball lock connector. For me, it offered the best solution for most occasions. I still bottle, but rarely. For some occasions it allowed me to send or leave bottles with other people. I find that there is joy linked to pouring yourself a pint from a tap.

If you go with kegs, and don't have a kegerator to serve (like myself), I keep the keg in a neoprene bag and have some icepack in it. It typically keeps a cold keg cool for 2-3 hours easily. Just enough time for it to be emptied. :cask:

Countdown to New Year: Pico is Offering 40% percent off Rouge Dead Guy Ale Today.

The second most popular beer in the New Beers Eve Countdown is one that’s been described as “the classic craft beer.” Aficiandos agree, judging by the laundry list of awards won since its introduction in 1994. In the past few years alone, Rogue’s Dead Guy Ale took first in the 2015 Great International Beer & Cider Competition, gold in the 2015 and silver in the 2013 and 2014 World Beer Championships, just to name a few. Inspired by the style of a German Maibock, “one designed to bridge the chasm from hearty wintry brews to bright summer fare,” Dead Guy Ale will keep you warm this winter with its a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor, and well-balanced finish.

Originally $23.99 Now $14.39

That's a nice price for an excellent beer. Today only ..humm.

@ that price, it's actually cheap for me to home-brew. Cheaper at least than most commercial stuff I have access to at least. And it's fresh! 2 boxes pleases (that's 8 paks)

Count down to New Year, Pico is offering 45% off Stingray IPA today.

Named after a serene Coronado shoreline where locals soak up sun and suds, this easy-drinking Imperial IPA will transport you to a tropical paradise the moment it hits your lips. Citra, Mosaic, Simcoe and Southern Cross hops provide the flavors and aromas of tropical fruits and sun-kissed citrus, with soft accents of nectarine and peach.

Listed 13.69 normally 24.99

https://picobrew.com/brewmarketplace/BeerDetails.cshtml?Beer=B3AA6D90BF9D40F3979B4262093AAD65

I brewed Stingray with WY 1450 and I have to say it was my best Picobrew to date. Delicious beer and a fantastic price!!

3…2…1…Happy Brew Year! From PicoBrew to all of you, we hope that this year, all your beer-y wishes come true. And now, without further ado, we’re bursting with excitement to introduce the first beer of the New Year: Pike Brewing Company’s Monk’s Uncle Tripel, brewed right here in Seattle!

Monk’s Uncle is a golden Abbey-styled ale. The nose is a complex bouquet of moderate peppery spiciness, fruity esters reminiscent of citrus peel and low alcohol. It leaves a long-lasting, creamy, rocky, white head resulting in characteristic Belgian lace on the glass as it fades. The perfect marriage of spicy, fruity and alcohol flavors supported by a soft, rounded grainy-sweet malt impression, with a very light honey note.

Dry in the finish and extra crisp, Monk’s Uncle will win you over, and, if you just happen to be in the Pike Place neighborhood, swing by the brewery for a sneak preview of this boozy beer. They’re rolling cans out today!

Offer good until January 3rd

Originally $24.99. Now $12.49

They are making it very enticing to stock up on packs:yes:

Didn't mean to steal your thunder!!! Saw what an incredible deal it was and posted it.

No thunder stole, not at all, glad to see others posting the deals. There was a few members that were not catching the emails so they asked if someone could post them. I have tried to post them all since. Having others help is a great thing!

Hello all. New Pico brewer here. I have a Pico-C and I have my first batch fermenting right now. I have read a lot of this post and I see the serving kegs are not a great option. I already have a kegerator. So, if I am understanding correctly, I can use this to force carbonate and serve. I would just need to get say a 3 gallon corny keg and ball lock adaptors for my kegerator and I would be all set? Thanks so much! Looking forward to everyone's help!

Welcome to the forum!! I have a Pico S and have ball lock (Corney Kegs) for brewing/fermenting and serving. But yes ball lock kegs are much better for that than the serving kegs. So if you can convert your Kergerator go for it. With a Pico sized single batch you can get away with 1.75 gallon corney for force carbonation and serving. Use the 3 gallon if you are going to do a double batch. Adventures in Homebrewing (Taylor and Ann Arbor Michigan and online) have 1.75 gallon ball lock kegs for sale (similar to pico's kegs) for $70

Hello all. New Pico brewer here. I have a Pico-C and I have my first batch fermenting right now. I have read a lot of this post and I see the serving kegs are not a great option. I already have a kegerator. So, if I am understanding correctly, I can use this to force carbonate and serve. I would just need to get say a 3 gallon corny keg and ball lock adaptors for my kegerator and I would be all set? Thanks so much! Looking forward to everyone's help!

Welcome, definitely look at converting your kegerator to ball lock. Was the best thing I did. I am working to expand mine to 4 taps now.

Selling PicoBrew Pico S with two brewing kegs in Frisco, Texas for $300 if anyone interested. Life and kids. Let me know if anyone interested. Thanks.

Anyone have any Pico Paks ship since mid/late Dec? I ordered 2 on Dec 19(with Brew Unlimited) and 2 on Jan 1, but neither has shipped yet.
They have made a statement that they got slammed with Christmas orders, and orders on all their holiday promotion pack sales. They are running behind. That being said I’ve received my unlimited orders but only a couple of the many packs I ordered on promotions have shipped.

Anyone have any Pico Paks ship since mid/late Dec? I ordered 2 on Dec 19(with Brew Unlimited) and 2 on Jan 1, but neither has shipped yet.

I ordered 4 freestyle paks on the 26th, and received them on 28th. I guess the freestyle process is different than commercial paks. I received some more on the 22 or 23rd, nothing else since. All shows as shipping queue for the remainder.

My first order for the Christmas sale was on the Dec8 it arrived Dec26, the first new year sale order was Dec28 and shipped Jan4 and should be delivered Jan 11. Hope this gives an idea on ship times. I live on east coast so it should be some of the longest times for the lower 48.

Also with the winter bomb cyclone that we are experiencing will slow times for the east coast.

I think it all depends on what you are ordering and the ingredients they have available. I ordered Denny's Imperial Bourbon Vanilla Porter on 12/12. Shipped on 12/16, Arrived on 12/26.

Pico Seasonal PicoPak Sale:

That means we’re stowing away all things autumnal until next fall, even our beautifully orange-hued seasonal brew: Gourdgeous Harvest Ale. But don’t sulk, we won’t say so long without a proper send-off: All week long, you can stock up on Gourdgeous for 25% off. Just use the coupon code SEASONAL25 at checkout.

With Jamaican allspice, Willamette hops, and richly flavored malts, Gourdgeous warms the soul even on the coldest nights and will linger long on the palate. Original $22.99 Now $17.24

and

For winter beer fans, the latest addition to our seasonal series: Blue Star Winter Ale is probably more your speed.

Blue Star is dark and malty with characterful English hops. Rich in the mouthfeel and body, and warming to the belly, this ale begs to be consumed by a roaring fire. Blue Star Winter is yours this week for 25% off its regular price with the same coupon code SEASONAL25.

Why not embrace hibernation mode and stock up on one of each? Contiguous U.S. customers get free shipping when purchasing two or more PicoPaks. Originally $25.99 Now $19.49

I placed an order Jan 2nd and it still hasn't shipped. This was an unlimited order. The Dead Guy that I bought on special has just shipped. The order I placed on the 2nd was two beers that showed shipping in 1 to 3 days. Making the unlimited ridiculous. This is the second time I've had a really long delay.

Hello! I just completed my second pico batch last night and after reading this forum and the Facebook group I gathered I only needed a half teaspoon of 05 yeast and needed to aerate well. I have 2 concerns. After a vigorous shaking to aerate the wort was very foamy. I went ahead and pitched ont the foam and then 20 minutes later shook again. Is that ok?
Secondly my basement temp dropped to 61 overnight so I will move it to a warmer part of the house now but will this temp drop adversely harm the yeast?

Thanks this is a great place for info!

Hello! I just completed my second pico batch last night and after reading this forum and the Facebook group I gathered I only needed a half teaspoon of 05 yeast and needed to aerate well. I have 2 concerns. After a vigorous shaking to aerate the wort was very foamy. I went ahead and pitched ont the foam and then 20 minutes later shook again. Is that ok?
Secondly my basement temp dropped to 61 overnight so I will move it to a warmer part of the house now but will this temp drop adversely harm the yeast?

Thanks this is a great place for info!

Nothing to worry about with any of it. The foam will start the rehydration of the yeast and as it dissipates the year would have entered the wort. Since you shook it again it dispersedthe yeast in the wort anyway. The yeast will still do it’s job. The temp drop is nothing to worry about. That is still in the temp range for the yeast. There are several of us that ferment in the low to mid 60s for all our brew and slowly raise the temp toward the end. The only thing that I see so far that may impact your brew is pitching the whole pack of yeast. Some have not noticed but others pick up on off flavors that the excess yeast creates. I say keep going with your fermentation. Don’t let the temp drop to much lower because 05 goes dormant around 58 if I remember correctly.

Welcome to the community, the wealth of knowledge you can gain from here and the Facebook group is irreplaceable. If you have any questions please ask away. We have some great people here that will help as much as we can.

Thank you for your quick reply. I actually only pitched a half teaspoonful of yeast this time which was part of the reason I was concerned with the temp drop. Most everyone here has stated that's plenty so I'm sure it will be fine. I've moved it now and it's around 64 on the temp decal so hopefully we will have some fermented beer in a few weeks ha!

13 days later my brew unlimited order still hasn't shipped. So much for brew unlimited being a bargain. I contacted Pico I am sure they will fix the issue they always do. These were supposed to ship in 1 to 3 business days. Not so much

Last edited:
Yet another sale this week from PicoBrew on CO-Brew's Rye Strong Stout

Husband and wife duo, Jamie and Jana Williams, opened Denver’s beloved homebrewing store, CO-BREW, with a unique and compelling vision: to be the one-stop shop for buying homebrewing supplies, brewing beer, and enjoying a fresh pint.

Since 2015, they’ve shared their brewing passion with the local community, using their taproom for brewing bootcamps, trivia nights, and homebrew club meetings. This past October, they reached a major milestone, winning their first GABF medal.

Today, we raise a glass to their contributions to the homebrewing community and happily announce CO-Brew’s Rye Strong Stout as our second PicoPak recipe of 2018, yours for 20% off this week using the code COBREW20.

13 days later my brew unlimited order still hasn't shipped. So much for brew unlimited being a bargain. I contacted Pico I am sure they will fix the issue they always do. These were supposed to ship in 1 to 3 business days. Not so much

I complained the other day since mine from Jan 2nd is still in the shipping queue, they are sending me two free packs, that still doesn't solve the problem of having nothing to brew! Fortunately the Dead Guy I ordered Dec 30th arrived today. So there is going to be a beer drought shortly! Hummer carbonating now and Annie's still brewing, but a good week before it will be carbing. Luckily I had that as a free pack from awhile back. Guess I will brew back to back Dead Guy.

Pretty soon Nugget Nectar from Troegs will available so I can fill in with bought beer.

I am in the process of looking at upgrading to the pico pro serving keg but was curious if you guys have had success dry hopping with the included pico c keg? Didn't know if that was the best approach or if I should dry hop before transferring like the manual states?
Thanks again

Last edited:
I am in the process of looking at upgrading to the pico pro serving keg but was curious if you guys have had success dry hopping with the included pico c keg? Didn't know if that was the best approach or if I should dry hop before transferring like the manual states?
Thanks again

Here is what I use to dry hop. Fits in the pro kegs, not sure about the C kegs but it should.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TSKD5R/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have seen it for as little as 12 bucks.

Oh and I dry hop in the keg while force carbing after fermentation and leave it in there till keg kicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! The serving keg that comes with the pico only has a tiny hole but I am gonna order one of those when I order the pro serving keg. That looks like a great solution.

I am sorry, I thought you were referring to the C keg that you use to brew with not the actual serving keg. Using the included serving keg to serve and try to dry hop with is a major pain. I tried them a few times and hated the experience. I quickly upgraded to the ball lock kegs and have enjoyed it ever since. I now run 5g kegs for triple brews, 3g kegs for doubles and the 1.75 Pico pro kegs for single brews. Use the linked hop carrier to dry hop in all of them as needed.

I toss the hops packets in the serving keg before racking and leave them there until keg kicks. Only way to go IMHO.

Edit* Ball lock keg of course. The “serving kegs” have long been in the trash.

I complained the other day since mine from Jan 2nd is still in the shipping queue, they are sending me two free packs, that still doesn't solve the problem of having nothing to brew! Fortunately the Dead Guy I ordered Dec 30th arrived today. So there is going to be a beer drought shortly! Hummer carbonating now and Annie's still brewing, but a good week before it will be carbing. Luckily I had that as a free pack from awhile back. Guess I will brew back to back Dead Guy.

Pretty soon Nugget Nectar from Troegs will available so I can fill in with bought beer.

Its weird that it doesn't seem to impact some posters. They seem to get their order within 3 days at least thats what they post. I have yet to have an order arrive in less than two weeks.

Back