PicoBrew Pico users

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This makes sense since oxidation is only a concern if you have it around for a long time. Do you have any experience with the torpedo kegs. A bit cheaper and smaller at 1.5 gallons. I am guessing with less head space forrce carbonation might take a bit longer.

No I've never used a torpedo keg. I have owned all different types and the Pico ball lock kegs are as good as they get quality wise and worth the little extra imo. Watch Williams Sonoma, they run a 20% off one item free shipping promotion pretty often. I picked up two of my 5 like that. 1.5 gallon would be pretty tight for a Pico batch with little headspace but would just fit.

Thanks for the response. That makes sense. I'm really hoping to streamline as much as possible so I'll give the shake method a try.

I haven't heard of anyone using oxygen with the Pico I would try the shake method before you buy anything. If you use the dry yeast oxygen is even less important. The two things that made a noticeable difference for me was pitching way less dry yeast, 1/2 tsp is now the recommendation, or using liquid is even better, and chilling quickly instead of overnight.

JRB, Thanks for the info on Williams Sonoma. I will keep my eye for for that. The price differential then isn't worth going to the smaller keg.

After reading over all the reviews here in the thread I decided to pull the trigger on the kickstarter campaign. I have decided I may go ahead and buy the pico 1.75 L keg as well since I could use it when my pico arrives in September. My question is how well does the mini co2 regulator and cartridges work for that? I know that it is not as economical as a big co2 tank but I like the minimal space it takes up because I do not have a true kegerator.

I also read that someone stated you can make amazing beer with the Pico however
he did not feel the directions were great. By this I assume you do not need to always pitch the whole yeast packet, control the fermentation temps..etc.

This makes sense since oxidation is only a concern if you have it around for a long time. Do you have any experience with the torpedo kegs. A bit cheaper and smaller at 1.5 gallons. I am guessing with less head space forrce carbonation might take a bit longer.

I guess it depends on what you consider a long time.

I guess it depends on what you consider a long time.

Denny can you help me out. I have heard, maybe incorrectly, that the beer won't show the effects of Oxidation for a couple on months. So I was assuming that if consumed within a month that it would still be ok. You seem to indicate it would be sooner. I value your opinion.

Denny can you help me out. I have heard, maybe incorrectly, that the beer won't show the effects of Oxidation for a couple on months. So I was assuming that if consumed within a month that it would still be ok. You seem to indicate it would be sooner. I value your opinion.

I think that is an over generalization. I think it may be generally true, but I've tasted beers that exhibited oxidative effects in as little as 2 weeks. And remember, oxidation doesn't always taste like "wet cardboard". It can manifest as a metallic flavor or a strange intensely caramel flavor, among others.

I haven't heard of anyone using oxygen with the Pico I would try the shake method before you buy anything.

For me I have had good results with stirring a sanitized whisk vigorously for about 45 seconds then pitching yeast, and shaking the sealed keg for another 30 seconds. In the winter I was using snow in a bucket of water to cool the keg down to room temperature, but now I am using a stream near my house to run mountain water past the keg and that only takes 15 minutes! Pitching 3 grams of yeast. I now manage fermentation temperatures by putting the keg in an old cooler with water and a $10 aquarium heater. It has no external settings, is supposed to get water to 26C and keep it there, but I measure it as 24C (fine for the fast-fermenting adapter). I have found that the 6~7ABV beers pretty much are "done" at 10 days (clean flavors) and can be dry hopped at that point, but the big ones like Plinius I leave about 12 before I hop. I dry hop at room temp now because keeping them that warm kicks up fermentation again, and the hop aroma is getting blown off. A day cold crash seems to get my beers pretty clear with no trub on the transfer. This most recent batch I am trying a different mesh for the hops (a sink drain blocker type they sell in japan) since it seems most of the packets I have are still the older non-porous type. Will see how it turns out with Plinius and Deaf Turtle. Freshly Squeezed is my favorite so far, frankly one of the best beers I have ever had, and I am pretty sure even non-IPA fans would be impressed.

My only regret is not going for more of the corny kegs during the kickstarter. I got three, but should have shifted one of my $100 3-serving+1-brew add-ons to 2-brew which would have given me four... a steal for the price, as noted these guys are keepers!!! Instead I have a bunch of serving kegs gathering dust :mad: Probably won't have all the kegging equipment until later this year, but it is clearly the way forward. Maybe will pick up some of the new cheaper brewing kegs if they retail for ~$50 and use the three cornys exclusively for serving (surely enough! ;))

Finally tapped my Half Squeezed made with London Ale III yeast. Very very good indeed, and no hint of the off flavor that we have been associating with the US-05. This yeast finishes a bit drier which works well for an IPA in my opinion.

It's definitely the cloudiest batch I've done though - I guess this yeast probably doesn't flocculate as well as the Safale.

Plinus with 1056. Much better.

18198263_10154545633098310_2766908766580355060_n.jpg

Just purchased the pico and after reading this thread it sounds like I'm going to want an alternative to the serving keg. What's everyone using? I'd like to use a kegerator if possible. My understanding is their kegs will not work? Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

@O'Leary : The Pico C brewing kegs won't work for dispensing in a Kegerator from what I gather. Like some previous comments, you can either get regular Cornelius kegs (aka corny). 1.75Gal is the brewing size currently, but you could attempt to double brew and pour 2 batches in a row in a single 2.5Gal, or 4 batches in a 5Gal if you wish so. Those will work with any ball lock solutions. May it be portable, or fixed like a kegerator. There are portable tap solutions that can use the small 16g Co2 cartridges.

There's also party-star tap systems some use with the current serving kegs. I do not own one of those, but I am thinking about it. I feel the current serving kegs to ... (what's technical term for 'suck') ?

Last but not least, you can also bottle it. I have personally used that one. Small or large bottle, 1Gal carboys or growlers. They pretty much all work. I suggest you rack it AFTER adding the priming sugar if you use regular carbonation, into your bottles. Very time consuming.

Hope it helps, and welcome to the family. ;-)

@O'Leary : The Pico C brewing kegs won't work for dispensing in a Kegerator from what I gather. Like some previous comments, you can either get regular Cornelius kegs (aka corny). 1.75Gal is the brewing size currently, but you could attempt to double brew and pour 2 batches in a row in a single 2.5Gal, or 4 batches in a 5Gal if you wish so. Those will work with any ball lock solutions. May it be portable, or fixed like a kegerator. There are portable tap solutions that can use the small 16g Co2 cartridges.

There's also party-star tap systems some use with the current serving kegs. I do not own one of those, but I am thinking about it. I feel the current serving kegs to ... (what's technical term for 'suck') ?

Last but not least, you can also bottle it. I have personally used that one. Small or large bottle, 1Gal carboys or growlers. They pretty much all work. I suggest you rack it AFTER adding the priming sugar if you use regular carbonation, into your bottles. Very time consuming.

Actually you can put any amount in a corny keg. I've used a 5 gal. keg for a 1.25 gal. batch

Thanks for the information. I purchased the 'original' pico. Do those kegs work in a kegerator? Maybe I missed something in reading through the thread...

Thanks for the information. I purchased the 'original' pico. Do those kegs work in a kegerator? Maybe I missed something in reading through the thread...

The brewing kegs, with black rubber handle and foot? Like this Yes, those have regular ball lock posts, those work fine with a kegerator that uses ball lock connectors. Most will give you the options, make sure it says somewhere it's for ball locks. Google image search and confirm specs to be certain.

Further to this, the Kegsmart supports those kegs to be placed in your own kegerator. add a sleeve for that keg, and there you go. May be an upgrade for you. :mug:

If your open to getting a kegerator that is definitely your best option, trust me the included serving kegs get old pretty quick. You will want ball lock kegs for the kegerator, Pico sells their 1.75g brew kegs and they work great as a serving keg in a kegerator I have 5. You need to figure out how many you want on tap and how many you want to fit in kegerator. I can fit 3 of the Pico kegs, 2 serving and one cold crashing or carbing. The Pico ball lock kegs are top of the line quality but there are cheaper options if that's a concern.

The brewing kegs, with black rubber handle and foot? Like this Yes, those have regular ball lock posts, those work fine with a kegerator that uses ball lock connectors. Most will give you the options, make sure it says somewhere it's for ball locks. Google image search and confirm specs to be certain.

Further to this, the Kegsmart supports those kegs to be placed in your own kegerator. add a sleeve for that keg, and there you go. May be an upgrade for you. :mug:

Thanks again for the additional information and quick reply. I'll do some research on both in the morning, but this makes me feel much better about the purchase.

If your open to getting a kegerator that is definitely your best option, trust me the included serving kegs get old pretty quick. You will want ball lock kegs for the kegerator, Pico sells their 1.75g brew kegs and they work great as a serving keg in a kegerator I have 5. You need to figure out how many you want on tap and how many you want to fit in kegerator. I can fit 3 of the Pico kegs, 2 serving and one cold crashing or carbing. The Pico ball lock kegs are top of the line quality but there are cheaper options if that's a concern.

Thank you for the reply. I just got home but did some quick research after reading the last couple of posts. I'm leaning toward this kegerator:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...gco-HBK309B-2-digital-homebrew-kegerator.html

After reading your post, it sounds like you're using a 3 tap system (2 serve, 1 carb)? If yes, which kegerator are you using or do you have a suggestion?

@O'Leary : 1.75Gal is the brewing size currently, but you could attempt to double brew and pour 2 batches in a row in a single 2.5Gal, or 4 batches in a 5Gal if you wish so. Those will work with any ball lock solutions. May it be portable, or fixed like a kegerator. There are portable tap solutions that can use the small 16g Co2 cartridges.

This isn't quite accurate. All of my brew sessions are double batches now. I ferment the 2 batches together in a 5 gal keg, and there is roughly 3 gal of wort that I get from 2 Pico batches. I bought 3 gal ball lock kegs to serve from, and I'm positive that a double batch of finished beer won't fit into a 2.5 gal keg.

I just got home but did some quick research after reading the last couple of posts. I'm leaning toward this kegerator:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...gco-HBK309B-2-digital-homebrew-kegerator.html

After reading your post, it sounds like you're using a 3 tap system (2 serve, 1 carb)? If yes, which kegerator are you using or do you have a suggestion?

Oleary - I did a bunch of research on kegerators recently (a lot of wishful thinking lol) and I liked this one the best of all the ones I came across:

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/KEG-KING-MARK-4-KEGERATOR--P4179.aspx

Room for 3 full-sized 5 gal kegs as long as you don't keep the glass storage in there :)

Wally

This isn't quite accurate. All of my brew sessions are double batches now. I ferment the 2 batches together in a 5 gal keg, and there is roughly 3 gal of wort that I get from 2 Pico batches. I bought 3 gal ball lock kegs to serve from, and I'm positive that a double batch of finished beer won't fit into a 2.5 gal keg.

Could it be the type of beer and/or the amount you leave behind at racking? I get on average 1.25-1.3 Gal of beer in my serving vessel once all is done. That's why I was saying 2.5Gal. But I have not combined brewed and fermented beer batched into 1. Out of curiosity, how much beer you would get from your 3g of wort?

Could it be the type of beer and/or the amount you leave behind at racking? I get on average 1.25-1.3 Gal of beer in my serving vessel once all is done. That's why I was saying 2.5Gal. But I have not combined brewed and fermented beer batched into 1. Out of curiosity, how much beer you would get from your 3g of wort?

Almost 3 gal. I can tell because of the condensation that appears on the outside of the 3 gal keg while I'm racking - it almost touches the rubber on top that the handles are part of. Given that 2.5 gal kegs are ~2" shorter, I'm sure that it wouldn't all fit in one.

Ya no way a 2.5 gallon keg is good for anything in the Pico world.

My kegerator is an insignia from Best Buy. I bought the single tap and converted to dual stainless perlick taps. Room for 3 kegs and more if you use the 1.75g and a shelf. I have 2 taps but 3 gas lines off the regulator so I can have next one carbing and ready. I got the insignia for $288, it goes on sale regularly. It is a kegco rebranded, very good for the price, very good in general actually.

Insignia, the best buy brand, is Kegco ?!? Wow, if that's the case, it's a steal. So 3 Gal then. I'm thinking of the 2 packs per order on the pico subscription.

In terms of carbing... big difference between the valve from Pico and a proper kegerator setup?

Insignia, the best buy brand, is Kegco ?!? Wow, if that's the case, it's a steal. So 3 Gal then. I'm thinking of the 2 packs per order on the pico subscription.

In terms of carbing... big difference between the valve from Pico and a proper kegerator setup?

Yep, double batches will be magic with the subscription. For carbing, I got lucky and found a CO2 tank with regulator and 2 5 gal cornys for $40 (then spent $8 per keg to replace the posts and poppets with ones similar to the Pico kegs so I could use the same wrench). I do have a couple of the mini regulators that take the large 74 gram CO2 cartridges because they're much easier to take with a keg to a party. Tank and regulator = more economical; mini regulator and cartridges = more portable and pricier. Neither is better/easier in terms of use.

Yes it is definitely a kegco, many of the parts are even labeled kegco like co2 tank. At $288 it was a steal, I look it up every now and then when people ask and the price fluctuates wildly.

For carbing, are asking to compare the Pico serving keg with the bung regulator and a proper co2 setup? If so it's a huge difference! If you have converted your Pico regulator to ball lock rather than barbed bung like I have there is no real difference in functionality, of course the tank is much more economical. I use my converted mini regulator to take a keg to party as well. I always say my kegerator was the best investment I made in homebrewing.

Thanks for all of the great information/advice. I have a couple of weeks before I need to make a decision on the kegerator but the better half has approved it with the caveat that if my beer sucks, she can put something commercial in it. One quick question, is it possible, using the shelves, to have 2 layers of the 1.75 gallon kegs (i.e. bottom used for fermenting, top used for serve/carb)?

I'm going to read back through the thread again, but any advice on my first brew? According to their website, the pico has shipped so probably a week or so before I'm ready.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

Yes it is definitely a kegco, many of the parts are even labeled kegco like co2 tank. At $288 it was a steal, I look it up every now and then when people ask and the price fluctuates wildly.

For carbing, are asking to compare the Pico serving keg with the bung regulator and a proper co2 setup? If so it's a huge difference! If you have converted your Pico regulator to ball lock rather than barbed bung like I have there is no real difference in functionality, of course the tank is much more economical. I use my converted mini regulator to take a keg to party as well. I always say my kegerator was the best investment I made in homebrewing.

Would you be able to post pics of your converted regulator?

Thanks for all of the great information/advice. I have a couple of weeks before I need to make a decision on the kegerator but the better half has approved it with the caveat that if my beer sucks, she can put something commercial in it. One quick question, is it possible, using the shelves, to have 2 layers of the 1.75 gallon kegs (i.e. bottom used for fermenting, top used for serve/carb)?

I'm going to read back through the thread again, but any advice on my first brew? According to their website, the pico has shipped so probably a week or so before I'm ready.

Thanks again for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

Out of curiosity, why not pledge for the Pico C instead of buying the Pico S ? Question of time, features or price?

Out of curiosity, why not pledge for the Pico C instead of buying the Pico S ? Question of time, features or price?

I almost did, 3 or 4 times. In the end, I was worried about the quality and didn't want to wait until September for delivery. Perhaps they've really found a way to cut the price in half while keeping the quality up but I wasn't sure I wanted to test the theory for them. The pico200 code brought the price down to $600 which lessoned the bite. Probably the wait was the deciding factor though. I've been putting off brewing lately because it's a chore and once I decided on the pico, selfishness took over.

Dang, with all the stuff they're including with the new pico, and the much lower price, I'm kicking myself for buying the original.

Judging from past performance we won't be seeing the pico-c ship until the holidays at the earliest.

I can post pics this weekend when I get home, but all you need is to replace the barbed fitting with a ball lock fitting. It's two parts, a threaded ball lock gas fitting and this fitting from Williams.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/MINI-REGULATOR-CHECK-VALVE-FEMALE-FLARE-OUTLET-P3962.aspx

I must be thick or not enough coffee, I can't see to picture it in my head how it attaches. If you have a chance it would be great. If not, no sweat, I'll get to it one day when I decide to do it. Unless I decide to go with the part star, but I doubt.

Sure but you have to do that even if you put 5 gal. in it. There's nothing different about kegging a smaller amount.

Got you, that's what I thought. 5Gal allows flexibility like this, providing you get easily (and a good price) your CO2.

I believe I prefer 3Gal kegs for my use/consumption. I just need to figure out if I can put 3 of those in a standard 4.4cu ft kegerator, or only 2.

I must be thick or not enough coffee, I can't see to picture it in my head how it attaches. If you have a chance it would be great. If not, no sweat, I'll get to it one day when I decide to do it. Unless I decide to go with the part star, but I doubt.

You know the barbed fitting that you shove in the bung of the serving keg? You remove that fitting from the regulator. Then you screw in this fitting from Williams in its place. Then you take a standard threaded ball lock gas adapter and screw that into this newly replaced fitting from Williams. Easy peasy.

I almost did, 3 or 4 times. In the end, I was worried about the quality and didn't want to wait until September for delivery. Perhaps they've really found a way to cut the price in half while keeping the quality up but I wasn't sure I wanted to test the theory for them. The pico200 code brought the price down to $600 which lessoned the bite. Probably the wait was the deciding factor though. I've been putting off brewing lately because it's a chore and once I decided on the pico, selfishness took over.

I hear you. There's also the unknown. We don't know for sure that the C will be as good nor better than the S. Price is good on the C, but like someone else said, it may not see light before xmas. With the C and a brew unlimited subscriptions, you can be enjoying right now on a tested product.

Add a brewsmart and a kegerator, and you can enjoy your brew like it should be. I am planning to get there soon. I may be in the same boat as you, I've been brewing for a while, but not often the last years due to lack of time. Pico allows me to brew more frequently now. I may end up doing multiple methods, I added the Z to my pledge.

cheers,

You know the barbed fitting that you shove in the bung of the serving keg? You remove that fitting from the regulator. Then you screw in this fitting from Williams in its place. Then you take a standard threaded ball lock gas adapter and screw that into this newly replaced fitting from Williams. Easy peasy.

Now I got you. I didn't know it could be removed. Once removed, could you put it back to use it with those nasty serving kegs? I may want to use it one day at a party where I don't want to bring back the keg. ;-)

Back