Pico Pro Manual kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werew0lf

Reaction score
Greetings!

First post here. I just received my Pico Pro, (it shipped just before the shut down), and I only ordered one Picopak with it. I figured I would order the manual kit (unpak'd) and try my own from there, but it's been out of stock for awhile and now with the shut down I don't expect I'll be able to get one any time soon. The keg adapter came with the Pico Pro so I figure I just need the grain/hop bags? I looked at the kit on the store and it shows what's included:
  • Pico Coffee BrewBags (3-pack)
  • Pico Beer BrewBags
  • Keg Adapter
https://picobrew.com/store/products/Product.cshtml?id=988

Anybody have this kit and/or can tell me which size bags to order to complete it? Will any standard size bags work? I'm not really interested in the coffee bags right now.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Thanks for the reply! Yes, 16x22 is the correct size for the grain bag. Here is the response I received from PB for anyone else that finds themselves needing these; see below:

Hop bags should be a semi fine mesh of roughly 150 micron (translates to 100 mesh)

Grain bag should be of a medium mesh of roughly 180 to 600 micron (translates to 80 to 30 mesh).

Most important thing is to make sure that your bag and mill setting line up well. Last thing you want if for loose grains to make their way through the mesh as there is no filter elsewhere. This goes doubly true for hops because those pellets disintegrate quite a lot when they get wet and will clog up the inner workings of the unit if they escape the bags.

Bags we sell are 16" x 22" for grains and 4" x 6" for hops and are nylon weave for reusability.

Great info Werew0lf!

I have the one from Pico, but if I were going to order a 3rd party bag, I'd measure it so that it fit over the lip and sat open during brewing to allow better stirring.

That's a good tip Wheelman! Actually, someone on the PB forum suggested the same so I'll be sure to get a bigger bag for sure. Thanks!

Indeed...excellent suggestion. I paused my mash about halfway and moved the bag around just to ensure that I didn't have any doughballs. I also did a dispersed, very slow pour of the water over the bag when adding it to the step filter.

They listed the micron mesh for the larger bag that I ordered as 63, so that is well within the spec that you mention. As for the hop socks, they make a specific reference to grainfather/robobrew/mash&boil so?? I sent an email requesting more info, will update here.

Have you had doughballs in the past? I'm fermenting my first kit right now but plan to do manual for the next. However, I'm just getting started with all grain. They mentioned clogging the pump, which scares me; do you guys have a suggested mill size for these types of bags or is there a chart somewhere? I'm not planning on milling my own just yet but I'd rather be on the safe side to avoid mechanical problems.

Me no, just something that I've read about and want to be aware of. I did my first 2 manual brews (same day) a couple of weeks ago, just tasted 1st batch last night after force carbing. It isn't bad, which was more than I was hoping for. (such a pessimist!) It is just kinda meh, so I'm trying to figure out how I might be able to kick it up a notch in flavor if I put 2nd batch into a secondary fermenter.

I'm not milling on my own either, but the concept of adjusting mill size is a fairly new concept to me.

I ordered a 5G AG kit, "crushed" from Northern Brewer and having torn apart the 4 previous pico paks I've done out of sheer curiosity, it looked to be about the same?

Cool thanks for the info! Yeah, I also tore my first one apart to look. lol I'll look into the crushed to compare.

My first manual batch is in the fermenter, so still hoping for the best. I had my LHBS mill the grains for me, and they did a BIAB gap that they use on their grainfather (not sure of the exact measurement). I didn't see any loose grains or anything that made me worry about clogging the system. The only thing I really watched out for was the pull cord on the bags, and making sure it didn't get sucked into the drain port at the bottom of the step filter.

That would probably work, since I've heard of a problem with the GF where the filter falls off and the pump gets clogged. The bigger bag hanging over the sides would probably help the pull cord not get sucked in too, I would think.

I just kinda rolled up the bag and put the cord towards the front. That way I could see if it was working itself loose (which it didn't) and pause if necessary. When I used the hops bags, I had the cord hanging out the front.

Also..this bit of news. Which doesn't look great.

http://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/8236

Dang. Looks like they didn't find a buyer...Oh well, I guess I'll use my Pico til it dies. Pity.

Really disappointed. They had better open up the server for us then; I don't care if the new owners agree or not. I just bought this thing based on warranty coverage and ease of use and I might end up owning an expensive paper weight now. I knew I should've cancelled my order when I had the chance before all this bs.

Back