Picking out a yeast for an American Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
I need some help picking out a yeast for an American brown (will be dry hopped too) i'm gonna be brewing. Problem is that i live in Southern California and the temps are rather warm right now. In the mid to upper 80's. I'm looking for a yeast that will do well in warmer temps but give too much off flavors.

Unless you can control the temps you are better off brewing something like a saison (maybe a dry hopped brown saison?). There are no strains that are going to be clean at those sorts of temps.

A small freezer off craigslist and a analog temperature controller from a homebrew store are a pretty easy/cheap way to really improve your beers and open up the exciting world of lagering.

Yeah, gotta work on some good method of temperature control. I use a mini fridge that my parents were getting rid of and a cheap johnson temp controller. If I had to pick a good American ale yeast that was resilient at a large range of temperatures, I don't think you can do much better than US-05. As it gets warmer it starts to throw a bit of peach and apple (that's how I taste it anyway) which does not offend me at all. I use it regularly for IPA's and for my winter brown ale.

I use the bucket-in-water-bath method with fine results (see my sig). My favorite yeast for a brown ale (yes, even American brown) is WLP002. You gotta keep it cool, like around 68*F, and give it a good long diacetyl rest after fermentation is complete before racking off the cake.

+1 on the US-05.

I have had the fewest fusels and other off flavors when fermenting at over 65*F when using US-05.

Your best bet is some kind of temperature control, though.

Thanks! I've been using the bucket in water bath method but its hard for me to get a temp in the 60's. 70's is more hopeful for where i live. I'll take a look at US05 and the WLP002.

Don't sleep on kits. Cooper's has some VERY forgiving yeasts for your situation. Cooper's ale yeast can ferment well into the 80s and still not be too bad.

Back