Picked up a used grain mill....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
And it looks like the seller didn't take very good care of it. When I look down at the rollers I notice what looks like rust on them. Now I really don't want rust particles in my grain. Does anyone know what I can do about this. Am I worrying too much?

mill.jpg

Yeah I know she needs a good cleaning - Just picked it up - havent used it yet.

That rust should come right off the rollers by milling a sacrificial pound or two of malt. The rust is a normal result from lack of use particularly in humid environments. The shoot needs a cleaning.

Thanks guys will try both of the above. Yeah I picked it up for $50 - its normally $130

if I use a wire brush, should I use any kind of liquid to help or no? (star san)?

Do it dry. :eek:
Zero need to use StarSan on a crusher.

BTW, I got rid of the Barley Crusher I had originally bought back in 2011 since it just wasn't really good enough to do the job. Went with a Monster Mill (original two roller version) with the 2" hardened steel rollers and haven't looked back. Serious upgrade from the first crusher I had.

At $50 you'll be OK for a while. Until you get frustrated with it and decide to spend the money for something significantly better. ;)

BTW, Monster Mill is 100% USA made (made in the USA with USA made materials). IMO, that's a company (and product) that deserves our business. Especially with how much is "assembled in the USA from globally sourced parts" these days.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Monster Mill. This is my first mill, I have been brewing double 10 gallon batches over the past year. Unless I can find good deals on bulk grains it may not get much use.
Cant afford the $200 right now. Ill see how this one works and if it proves too frustrating I will look to the Monster.

Back