Pick one commercial brewery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonetrueruss

Reaction score
So my wife posed the questions to me... obviously hypothetical:

If you could only have beer from a single commercial brewery for the rest of your life (meaning no beer from anywhere else even homebrew) what commercial brewery would it be and why?

That's tough. I'd say Founders because they make great beer pretty much across the board but they really don't venture into Belgian styles. For that reason I'll go with Dogfish Head. Their variety is second to none and their quality is really high. I don't think I'd get bored with them.

I second Spoetzl Brewery and the line of Shiner beers they put out. Of course the geographic location of the brewery is important to me, so this does help with my choice. :)

I would probably go with Port Brewing. They have at least one good beer from every style that I like. None of them are my favorite per se, but I would never go hankering for something I couldn't get at least my 5th choice on.

All sound reasoning. I would probably go Dogfishhead myself for the variety, quality, and availability. They do not make my very favorite beer but they do make a lot of beers that I love.

Never thought this one out before, I suppose I'd have to hypothetically set aside things like proximity, availability and freshness - otherwise I'd just pick a local brewery. Also, I live 1 mile from a dogfish head alehouse, so dogfish is to me what AB/InBEV is to the rest of the planet - an always available old standby.

Theorizing that this one brewery would always be available to me and always fresh, I'd pick a brewery that has more special releases and experimentation than others. A standard brewery like Epic or the Bruery or perhaps one of the Gypsy brewers like Stillwater or dare I say Mikkeller.

The great thing is I don't have to choose one. I can get my IPAs from Florida, my double IPAs from California, my stouts from Michigan and my Belgians from Canada.

The sub-question should be: If you could only choose between a commercial brewery and your own home brew for the rest of your life, how many seconds would it take you to say homebrew?

Buy local .. be loco. Terrapin Brewing in Athens GA. If that option goes away then Sweetwater Brewing in ATL. But the closest to me just might be Swamp Head in Gainesville FL .. lesser known but damn fine brew!

I would go with Avery. Every style I have tried from them is great, they brew a bunch of styles, big beers, session beers, and did I mention that their beer is great!

I had actually had this same discussion a few months back with some friends. That being said I have always been Fond of Deschutes Brewery, I grew up 5 miles from the brewery so its got that home feel to me and when I return home from a Deployment it is what the Wife has in the fridge (usually Black butte Porter) for me until I get a batch or 2 ready.

Right now: Jester King

I'll give you another answer in about 6 months. I've been working with some guys in Boulder, Co to build a new brewery. One if my good friends who has been constrained by previous brewing positions, I introduced him him with these guys and I can tell you some crazy and really good beers/Firkins will come out of there and probably will be my favorite. I'll keep you guys posted.

Beer Slave Extraordinaire

"Fortune Favors The Bold"

www.Facebook.com/Landlockedbreweryconsulting

Samuel Smith's, Old Brewery Tadcaster, North Yorkshire. Oldest brewery in Yorkshire still uses stone Yorkshire squares for fermenting, a cooper making and repairing oak casks. All their cask conditioned ales are draught from wood. They use a team of white shire horses pulling a cart for local deliveries 5 days a week. They are soooooo fine. What's not to like. They have a selection I could definitely live with. Sammy Smith...I love you guys!

Russian River or Goose Island. Maybe even Sierra Nevada for the variety

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Home Brew mobile app

I would go with Avery. Every style I have tried from them is great, they brew a bunch of styles, big beers, session beers, and did I mention that their beer is great!

Not even a hesitation for me to choose Avery. They really cover the whole gamut from gateway beers like White Rascal and Joe's Pilsner to stuff like Tweak, Thensaurum, Maharaja, etc.

It would be Firestone or Russian River for me.

They both have a regular line, a specialty line, and a sour line of beer. That would keep me happy.

Shiner.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I second Spoetzl Brewery and the line of Shiner beers they put out. Of course the geographic location of the brewery is important to me, so this does help with my choice. :)

Wow...really???? Amazed at that....(loving a bock thats not really a bock) Anyway lol Founders for me. Consistently fantastic beers and a tap room 30 minutes away from me!!

Amazed, are you kidding? And who said anything about Shiner Bock? Spoetzl Brewery has been around since 1909 (not 1997) and the 100+ years at brewing has led to some mighty tasty beers being released.

I favor their Wild Hare Pale Ale, FM 966 (Farmhouse Ale), and the Black Lager. Not to mention two great seasonals Shiner Cheer and Prickly Pear.

A very close 2nd in this topic would be St Arnold's. You can say that I do support the home team, as it appears you do also. If I want a Bockbier, I always drink a Doppel, and only from Germany, or brew my own.

Amazed, are you kidding? And who said anything about Shiner Bock? Spoetzl Brewery has been around since 1909 (not 1997) and the 100+ years at brewing has led to some mighty tasty beers being released.

I favor their Wild Hare Pale Ale, FM 966 (Farmhouse Ale), and the Black Lager. Not to mention two great seasonals Shiner Cheer and Prickly Pear.

A very close 2nd in this topic would be St Arnold's. You can say that I do support the home team, as it appears you do also. If I want a Bockbier, I always drink a Doppel, and only from Germany, or brew my own.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, I will always have a soft spot for Shiner Bock.

Love the FM 966.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, I will always have a soft spot for Shiner Bock.

Love the FM 966.

Ditto. Shiner Bock has been my oasis in a world of BMC maaaaaany times. And I was really impressed by the farmhouse. They put out a lot of great seasonal.

For me it would have to be Surly, you got Abrasive, Furious, Darkness, Hell, Bender, Overrated, Cynic, and great limited editions. nuff said

Tough choice but I would have to say Odell's in Colorado. I visited Colorado for a week and went to their taproom and also bought 2 mixed packs of theirs. Loved every glass and every bottle. Can't say that about any other brewery. Wish I could get them in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone

Ninkasi, just love all their brews. Haven't found another in my area that makes a verity of styles that I like as much as theirs

Tough choice but I would have to say Odell's in Colorado. I visited Colorado for a week and went to their taproom and also bought 2 mixed packs of theirs. Loved every glass and every bottle. Can't say that about any other brewery. Wish I could get them in Michigan.

Sent from my iPhone

Odells hasn't let me down yet either.... Myrcenary, 90 Shilling, IPA.....

Rinn Duin Brewery Toms river NJ
New brewery but they're making some kick butt session ales and one-off beers!

Dreaming would be russian river. Reality would be deschutes since im in the NW. Rogue or bridgeport would be good options too.

Back