Piña colada hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csimmons21

Reaction score
So I came with this to get going in time for warm weather that will hopefully arrive soon! The recipe is for a pineapple/ apple cider which is "dry hopped" with fresh organic toasted coconut and then aged on dark rum soaked barrel staves.

This was a 2 gallon batch. Ratio of apple juice to pineapple juice was about 1:4 apple so you can tweak the batch size according...

1.5 gallons martinellis apple cider
.5 gallons organic pineapple juice
Half packet of Nottingham
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
1teaspoon of Pectic enzyme
No tannin or acid blend added
Added 1/4 pound of maltodextrin
1 pound of organic cane sugar
Chunks of half a pineapple to add flavor and surface area

Primary ferment this until dry. Approx 2 weeks.

Rack off of lees/fruit solids

Rack onto rum soaked medium chips (10-12 chips)
Add approx 1 pound of toasted organic coconut shavings. You can put these in a fine mesh bag like I did, however, it is a test in patience to get that bag out after secondary...it took ahwile and 2 other people haha.

I let this sit for at least a month. It will look messy from all the coconut particles and what not but after a month, Rack it again, add a little more yeast and it will clear up with time. To bottle:

Add half a jar of pineapple juice or concentrate. Bottle. Carb for 4-5 days and heat pasteurize or cold store to halt carbonation.

Enjoy!!
This one is a great golden color with a nose of coconut and tastes of fresh rum soaked pineapple. Great cold.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389043768.271910.jpg

Dat primary

I'm still looking for a good coconut flavoring that doesn't leave a bad/off aftertaste. Anyone find one?

Cheers [emoji111]

I'm still looking for a good coconut flavoring that doesn't leave a bad/off aftertaste. Anyone find one?

Cheers [emoji111]

Which flavorings have you tried?
Just asking because I'm thinking of ordering some flavorings to try out and also playing around with making tinctures using vodka.
Perhaps try toasting some coconut and then putting into a jar with some vodka?

Which flavorings have you tried?
Just asking because I'm thinking of ordering some flavorings to try out and also playing around with making tinctures using vodka.
Perhaps try toasting some coconut and then putting into a jar with some vodka?
So far just LorAnn. Just got some Now Better Stevia Coconut that I need to try in my cider -- it is tasty in my morning java [emoji16]

Cheer [emoji111]

Latest posts

Back