Phosphoric acid solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I received some 10% solution phosphoric acid from a local distributor. It looked more viscous than the previous bottles. But, trusting the supplier I put the same amount as used previously in my water solution. I have a Thermoworks 8689 meter that I have had for a while and it has been giving suspicious readings lately. The pH of my brew should have been around 5.43 but it tested as 4.2. I recalibrated using my 4 pH and 7pH calibration solutions. I have ordered another probe since the meter has been used for a while.
The supplier claims it is 10% solution. I have been checking on the web about density vs % solution and one table I found said density is a function of % mass solution. When I put some of the acid in my SG test vial with a hydrometer it stuck about 6" out of the top of the test vial.
Can anyone provide more information as it applies to phosphoric acid used for brewing.
I would like to definitively determine what % solution I have.
Thanks!

Back