PhilTap Cartrige Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elaurens

Reaction score
I have made a Guiness clone and have some of it in a 5L Keg which uses a PhilTap.

I was considering getting Nitrogen cartridges to dispense, but read that using a 70/30 ration of CO2 to N is what works best.

Questions:

Has anyone used Nitrogen cartridges?
With what results?
Is it possible to get cartridges that are CO2 & N mixed? If so, from where?

the 70/30 mix is called beer gas. It is for larger systems to push beer longer distances without losing carbonation or pressure. for something as small 5L or 10 gallons for that matter, co2 will work fine.( assuming you primed the beer) If you are force carbing, you will definitely need to use co2.

You can do it, but you will pretty much have to drink all the the beer in 1-2 days or it will go flat. NOt really sure if nitro does give a better head, but there are all sorts of devices/dispensers made for guiness that do. All the ones I saw were overly expensive.

To do this correctly you need the right faucet and higher pressure. You could experiment and go though a lot of beer to get the right balance for a short time and then chase it again. Nitro Stout dispensing is beergas at ~30-40 psi and a stout faucet that has a restrictor plate and flow straightener. This level of PSI at the correct temp (warmer +more psi, colder = lower psi) gives the right balance to maintain the volume of dissolved Co2 that you want and the high pressure with a restrictor plate breaks the co2 out of solution giving the creamy head and fairly flat beer.
I did a lot of messing around before fining the right stuff and sweet spot for my kegerator's stout faucets. For more info read:
http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/dispensing-guinness-aid-96.html
This article refers to the commercial brews and kegs but it should be an informative read.

Latest posts

Back