Philly Sour Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dulcrn

Reaction score
So it’s my first time brewing with Lallemand Philly Sour Yeast - I’m 6 days into fermentation and pulled a sample which is smelling rather sulphury/eggy? Is this normal ..? It does however already have a slightly sour taste to it but also mixed with the sulphur taste which isn’t great - hopefully it won’t finish like this !

I am on my third batch with Philly Sour. Never tried it that early, or before reaching FG, actually. Always works very, very well, even if slower than normal Sachs. Just let it run, it will take a awhile (a couple weeks, tops). I use PS on the higher end temp wise, like 77F.

I am on my third batch with Philly Sour. Never tried it that early, or before reaching FG, actually. Always works very, very well, even if slower than normal Sachs. Just let it run, it will take a awhile (a couple weeks, tops). I use PS on the higher end temp wise, like 77F.

i think I’m just being overly worried as it’s my first time with it. I did notice it was pretty slow to start, so was expecting it to take a little longer in primary. I’ve set the temp to 22.5c, do you think this will still work alright? Really excited to see how this turns out. What did you brew with yours?

So it’s my first time brewing with Lallemand Philly Sour Yeast - I’m 6 days into fermentation and pulled a sample which is smelling rather sulphury/eggy? Is this normal ..? It does however already have a slightly sour taste to it but also mixed with the sulphur taste which isn’t great - hopefully it won’t finish like this !
I'm in the same boat. First time I've used this. I did 2 6 gallon batches one blueberry and one tart cherry. I wouldn't exactly call my off flavor sulfer but it is strong in smell and taste. I can't explain it and doesn't match the usual off flavors but it is not going away( burnt black mold flavor to me and the wife says chemicals ). Both batches have the exact same off flavor. I put 2 packs to each fermenter and was concerned as this yeast was dark in color and had like black speckles through out. Fermented at 73F and it took 4 days before I even saw any krausen. This is looking like a pair of dumpers. Did your beer ever come out of it?

I'm in the same boat. First time I've used this. I did 2 6 gallon batches one blueberry and one tart cherry. I wouldn't exactly call my off flavor sulfer but it is strong in smell and taste. I can't explain it and doesn't match the usual off flavors but it is not going away( burnt black mold flavor to me and the wife says chemicals ). Both batches have the exact same off flavor. I put 2 packs to each fermenter and was concerned as this yeast was dark in color and had like black speckles through out. Fermented at 73F and it took 4 days before I even saw any krausen. This is looking like a pair of dumpers. Did your beer ever come out of it?

Yes this, I just did a batch and it has a metallic taste and aroma and I’m hoping it’s not a dumper, did yours ever settle out?

I determined that mold spores got in and since it takes so long before fermentation takes place( I actually called and talked to my territory rep and he said yeast nutrient and oxygen is important for a faster start which I did both but he admitted it is a slow starter ) that the mold took hold first and the yeast didn't out compete the mold. I went as far as to keg both beers with fingers crossed but after I was cleaning the fermenters and finally got a good look at the black fuzzy mold I knew I had to dump the beers. The only dumpers in my brewing life.

Ok so you ended up having it contaminated, sorry, dumping that much beer is never easy, I had a mold issue years ago and had quite a few dumpers from that. I’m gonna let this sit another week and taste it again. Thanks

Just used Philly Sour for the first time as well. I will say, my experience was that it was NOT a slow starter. It started in under 12 hours for me. Was very slow for the first 3 days or so and then it took off and ramped up, which I expect was it switching from creating lactic acid to creating alcohol.

I pre-acidified to 4.5 pH and oxygenated with pure oxygen for 2 mins and it performed fairly well!

gose pH.jpg

gose.jpg

I brewed my first beer with Philly Sour on New Years day this year.

Grain bill was my typical NEIPA grains (Pale Malt, Oats, Wheat, Honey Malt) and I added 1lb of dextrose to help with the acidification.

I did not pre-acidify before going into the fermenter.

Pitched 2 packs of Philly Sour for 5.5 gallons of 1.060 wort. Held temperature at 70F and did not notice any krausen until around day 3.

pH ended up at 3.60 (a little lower than I had hoped).

Back