Philly Area Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else familiar with a bottle shop in SEPA that does auctions of beer for charity? Now, the bottle shop does not profit from this and all the money goes to charity and all the beers are donated by customers but some of the beers tend to be beers not registered in PA. I'm wondering if they could "get in trouble" for just having, say some Treehouse in their shop, even if the bottle shop is technically not selling it themselves. They are essentially just "hosting" the auction.

Anyone else familiar with a bottle shop in SEPA that does auctions of beer for charity? Now, the bottle shop does not profit from this and all the money goes to charity and all the beers are donated by customers but some of the beers tend to be beers not registered in PA. I'm wondering if they could "get in trouble" for just having, say some Treehouse in their shop, even if the bottle shop is technically not selling it themselves. They are essentially just "hosting" the auction.

i know of a place that does something similar in PA but not in SEPA... or maybe it is.. but not my concern so who cares really

Does anyone have any info on fermentory form? Saw they are selling memberships today and wanting to know a bit before putting money down to join.

Never heard of it.

edit: Looks like they are just putting beer into barrels according to their facebook if I'm reading correctly? So what, you give them $250 or $500 and wait a year to get anything? Seems crazy to me.

Managed to get a six pack of Sierra Nevada Bigfoot for $11.79 at a Weiss because they hadn't put it into their system yet and it was sitting on the shelf with a Sierra Nevada Tropical IPA pricetag below it. Score!

A new Iron Hill is going to be in what was the Gallery apparently. Kind of a cool get for that place and makes me interested to see how the build out will come out. Seems like a good sign though. Also hope the brewer they get for Iron Hill is good as the food there is always completely average.

Coming down with a couple guys from Ottawa this weekend - in town from Friday until Sunday with the only definite plans being Capones on Saturday.

Any off the radar recommendations for some good food and beer? Doesn't need to be super exotic beer wise - just local and yummy; good food to soak up the beer on the other hand is pretty mandatory :).

tired hands.. forest & main... new spot opened up the other week called Second District http://seconddistrictbrewing.com/

this is where i'd go if i was you... honorable mention to crime and punishment http://crimeandpunishmentbrewingco.com/ and the obligatory nod to monks.. and every other major spot you've heard about hitting when in philly.. don't sleep on fountain porter for a nice $5 burger and generally stellar taplist if in South Philly

Standard Tap fills your requirement for "Doesn't need to be super exotic beer wise - just local and yummy". Only serves local beer. You'll even get Tired Hands there!

Coming down with a couple guys from Ottawa this weekend - in town from Friday until Sunday with the only definite plans being Capones on Saturday.

Any off the radar recommendations for some good food and beer? Doesn't need to be super exotic beer wise - just local and yummy; good food to soak up the beer on the other hand is pretty mandatory :).

I will be at Capone's on Saturday. can give you tips.

I'd vote no on Crime & Punishment. I enjoy Bar Hygge a lot more and haven't been impressed with the C&P's beers the past few times I've been there.

Standard Tap fills your requirement for "Doesn't need to be super exotic beer wise - just local and yummy". Only serves local beer. You'll even get Tired Hands there!
Awesome - will take a look.

Depending on when we leave Syracuse Friday morning we are planning on hitting up Teresa's and Tired Hands before heading to Capones to pick up some beer and then checking into our hotel in Philly. Will probably also depend on traffic which I imagine can be bad on a Friday.

South Philly Taproom was pretty awesome last time we headed down food and beer wise...standard tap looks good to - may also just wonder around and have fun.

Standard Tap is a good spot, and it's actually right across the street from my apt. If timing works out I'm happy to open some Forest & Main saisons if you're in the neighborhood. There are a few byob restaurants if the food at Standard Tap isn't what you're looking for, and Liberty Lands park is a pretty neat bottle share location if weather is good. Welcome to Philly!

Standard Tap is a good spot, and it's actually right across the street from my apt. If timing works out I'm happy to open some Forest & Main saisons if you're in the neighborhood. There are a few byob restaurants if the food at Standard Tap isn't what you're looking for, and Liberty Lands park is a pretty neat bottle share location if weather is good. Welcome to Philly!

That is incredibly generous and we will see what we can do. In the past we have come up for black Friday events and taken an extra day off work (for Canadians) means we drive into Philly on Thursday, event Friday, and extra day on Saturday before heading home.

This time is way tighter with the extra day gone and I don't know what condition we will be after Capones on Saturday morning...we will probably bring a couple of bottles to open up and share at Capones but if timing works out could also be in our neck of the woods!

Any requests for specific Canadian goodies?

Does Capone's let you open bottles nowadays? I thought they ended it after some people ordered nothing and just split bottles the whole time a couple years ago. Also got super drunk.

Does Capone's let you open bottles nowadays? I thought they ended it after some people ordered nothing and just split bottles the whole time a couple years ago. Also got super drunk.
*cough*hayden*cough*

I have done it recently. altho the bar was pretty empty and made it a point to ask matt, as I'm sure most people do.

*cough*hayden*cough*

I have done it recently. altho the bar was pretty empty and made it a point to ask matt, as I'm sure most people do.
Yeah I really wasn't sure and I haven't been to Capone's in a few years at this point to know either way.

Hmm - I will double check - haven't been there for a couple of years so just basing on previous experience. Thanks for the warning...if not then we will just have to find another time to open them and share.

Not sure where you're staying but that Theresa's > capones > philly plan is a lot of driving. I'm sure we can point you towards somewhere to buy beer that's less out of the way than capones....

There are even a couple places on your way back into the city from Wayne. At this rate tired hands will probably have a couple cans on the shelf.

Any food requests? Definitely some good bars suggested but plenty of BYOB action in Philly if you'd rather just have delicious food and bring your own beer.

So coming from Syracuse in the morning down the 476, end destination on Friday is Sheraton downtown Philly.

Capones is a must on Friday in order to pick up beer that Matt has been generous enough to keep on hold for a long time - and Friday is easier than Saturday during the craziness of Younger.

Our modified plan is probably Beer Yard when we get in, then Capones to pick up beer, and then keep on going south to Tired Hands Fermentia for lunch. Drink beer, eat food and head to hotel before going out and exploring...tempted to go back to South Philly Taproom for dinner based on a great experience last time we were in the city but open to ideas.

Saturday morning we will head out for Younger, then no plans. Wouldn't mind going to Tired Hands (other location) but nothing definite.

So any suggestions (BYOD or both good food and good beer) are welcome.

[insert help on adding pics/gifs please]

Beer yard > capones > tired hands is a lot of backtracking.....that's my only warning.

You can do hit some great bars in south philly so SPTR is a good idea.

Try Monsu down this way. BYOB and great Italian food. Throw out some other types of food you're looking for if Italian doesn't do it for you.

Back